[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

Ok guys... Here is the update. I havent messed with the models for a while, and since the last time I messed with them I've learned a few things. So my spring break is coming up (next week) and I think im going to fix some of the issues some modeling and texturing issues (texel density). But rest assured this mod will get finished, I intend to put it into my portfolio, so expect updates starting up again soon.

Edited by Stevincent

Ok guys... Here is the update. I havent messed with the models for a while, and since the last time I messed with them I've learned a few things. So my spring break is coming up (next week) and I think im going to fix some of the issues some modeling and texturing issues (texel density). But rest assured this mod will get finished, I intend to put it into my portfolio, so expect updates starting up again soon.

That is some nice news :D

Yes, this indeed great to hear! And best of luck as well! :)

But, the current design is still the classic black-and-white painted design. NASA's website shows the latest concepts and when they were last updated, this picture in the spoiler (yes, they're back!) shows the paint job. It's from February 24, 2014!

sls-wide.png?itok=N1dIXKSc

most of the images on the website are artist renditions, and dont represent the final product, they have been showing the black and white design for nostalgia's sake. But from what I have read its going to be orange. But either way. Both will be textured. I like the black and white, and thats what Ill be textring first lol.

Except that keeping the foam doesn't make sense. It's simply not needed anymore. On Delta IV it's only needed on boosters, which are exposed to the airflow. The only reason for the main core to have insulation is the fact that they wanted 100% commonality between the boosters and the core for logistical reasons. It could probably be ditched from the core stage without any problems.

Yes, this indeed great to hear! And best of luck as well! :)

But, the current design is still the classic black-and-white painted design. NASA's website shows the latest concepts and when they were last updated, this picture in the spoiler (yes, they're back!) shows the paint job. It's from February 24, 2014!

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/1600x1200_autoletterbox/public/sls-wide.png?itok=N1dIXKSc

So, the comment here is to reply to the fact that spoilers work again? EXCELLENT!

Also, I agree, this is great to hear! We're all watching and waiting eagerly for the next update!

But, that said, no pressure :)

I also believe it's not needed. It also looks horrible in my opinion. The critical design review was done last summer so I guess they have finalized it. I still see different versions all the time.

I'm not sure about them being finalized but the current design lists both the Blocks I and II as having 4 RS-25 on the core. The Block I will have an RL10B-2 engine on the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage (aka Delta Cryogenic Second Stage), while Block II currently lists two J-2X engines on the upper stage. Block I will use 5 segment solid rocket boosters derived from the Space Shuttle SRBs, while with Block II it is undecided as of now. However, in 2015 NASA will announce who will win the rights to produce the boosters for Block II, whether it be the dual F-1B Pyrios boosters from Dynetics and (now) Aerojet Rocketdyne, or advanced SRBs from ATK. I am going off of most of these specs from NASA's website; I have noticed while doing research that Wikipedia, while very good for many rocketry fact checks, is unreliable for the SLS. They list 3 J-2X, and list old pictures from when the SLS was planned to use 4 RS-25.

Anywho, just wanted to ramble on about the basics about the SLS that I know of, hoping for it to be of use to Stevincent. :)

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Z85.jpglook the 4RL-10 stage yay! ill have to model that too.

Wait a minute, that looks familiar….

Oh, I know! Have a look at this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65862-WIP-Talisar-Aerospace-Current-project-Large-Upper-Stage-coop-with-Chaka-Monkey-ES

Its exciting to see you're still working on this Stevincent! I hope you don't think that your project is outdated because of the stock parts coming with 23.5. I for one it will be great to have Orion and SLS parts as one family that don't have to be tweaked or resized.

Great to see that this is still alive. I can't remember, is this going to be stock-ksp size conformal (1.25, 2.5, 3.75, maybe 1.825 for the boosters), or is it going to be sized to 64 %?

Other mods use 1.875 instead of 1.825 :)

Other mods use 1.875 instead of 1.825 :)

Dammit! That's what I meant :P

Looks and sounds like potential, but I don't know how useful this will be with the actual SLS coming to KSP with the ARM update...

I could use an actual model of the Orion capsule, though. As for the Service module and shroud, SumGhai has you beat...

Well, first, this is an actual Orion capsule, with an SLS. The stock thing is an SLS-lookalike, but definitely not an SLS. And Sumghai doesn't have Stevincent beat to the service module, as Sumghai's thing is stockalike and not a replica of the Orion service module.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.