[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

How about heavy Version of the SLS carrying a Lunar Lander and Payload fairings.

Z62-350x241.jpg

Z16.jpg

Z7.jpg

Z41.jpg

Oh.... Gateway Platform too.

I will be working on a payload delivery next week. I will also building the quad RL-10 and Dual J-2X interim cryo stages to assist in your extreme payload needs, so dont worry we will put the whole world in space.

Didnt get too much time to work on much with midterms this week. But I was able to complete an animation for my 3D camera techniques class that show cases my models. So just a teaser for those who like to be titillated lol. Enjoy. I should have time this week to start getting some work done on getting things in Unity.

I noticed one thing. You see those four, tiny tubes at the SRB's skirt? Those are separation motors. They work together with sep motors in the nosecone, making for a clean separation. Thus, it makes no sense to have them pointing that way, they should be facing the core stage and be a separate part.

I noticed one thing. You see those four, tiny tubes at the SRB's skirt? Those are separation motors. They work together with sep motors in the nosecone, making for a clean separation. Thus, it makes no sense to have them pointing that way, they should be facing the core stage and be a separate part.

I was having issues finding references showing them facing the other way, and I assumed that they were not designed to fight an active SRB but to redirect it away from the space craft. The only time I saw them facing towards the core stage was when a spacecraft or cargo was mounted ontop of an SRB. Now Im more than willing to fix this but just wasnt sure if it was right or not, because most of my references had the facing the way I modeled them. But yes, I was thinking of making them their own part, and along with the nosecone.

sts_srb01.jpg

KSC-381C-3093.03.jpg

and here is one going the other way when the payload is ontop.

Ares_I-X_launch_19.jpg

Edited by Stevincent

Ok just finished the Cryogenic stage high poly version and I'm fairly satisfied I think this is my favorite part that I have built, I think its because those support struts look so freaking sexy.

Exactly. That's one of the best looking boosters I think I've seen developed. I am awaiting your pack with bated breath.

Didnt get too much time to work on much with midterms this week. But I was able to complete an animation for my 3D camera techniques class that show cases my models. So just a teaser for those who like to be titillated lol. Enjoy. I should have time this week to start getting some work done on getting things in Unity.

-videosnip-

Sniff... It's so... beautiful...

Yeah I am not sure which route Ill be going, it will most likely be an open beta so I can get as much input as possible.

That will also mean that... we'll get to try this piece of awesomeness sooner!

Edited by shadowsutekh

Sniff... It's so... beautiful...

Haha thanks :)

From what I have seen in the animation, it looks like all you need to do is edit a few things, texture, and test, and you'll be all set! I hope to see this mod come out soon!

I'm working on converting things to low poly right now, and Ill be posting that info, I want to get the core stage in unity and hopefully KSP this week. Texturing will probably start once all the low poly versions are complete.

The Orion will be 3.75 m or 2.5 m and the SLS Launch Vehicle will be 3 m or 5m?

I was thinking 3.75 and 5M but I am open to suggestions.

So I finished the low poly "re-conversion" of the RS-25 if you dont recall this is what I had before. (HIGH POLY ON THE LEFT)

u1uNm7S.jpg

and here is the normal map applied to it

gEa7cAV.jpg

I think the poly count on that low poly is somewhere around 200 polys

Well I talked to bobcat about his american pack and the poly count on his engines and his RS-25 and J-2X he said had about 2500+ polygons.

Here is his model

r3zIxRq.jpg

I made my target for my low poly of the RS-25 the same and managed to get about 2100 polys down from 7700 of the high poly. So what do you guys think should I go the higher poly route or stick to the 200 poly model and rely heavily on Normal Maps?

Here is the new low poly model

It should be 3.75m and 5m most certainly, because the 6 person Orion needs to be wider than the 2.5m stock 3 man capsule, and the SLS needs to be 5m to correspond to the 3.75m size.

Edited by 15nelsoc

I would go for 3.75m and 5m myself.

And the low poly is probably gonna be better for KSP, the other one is a bit over the top.

Yeah I think ill be doing that. And over the top NEVER! lol Im still considering my options I think its the artist in me that demands the higher poly of the low poly, lol.

It should be 3.75m and 5m most certainly, because the 6 person Orion needs to be wider than the 2.5m stock 3 man capsule, and the SLS needs to be 5m to correspond to the 3.75m size.

true. true.

In KSP: Bigger is better!!!

thats what she said =P

Nope, the real SLS is over 8m in diameter. 5.37m is the correct, scaled down figure. 3.75m would be almost comically small for this rocket.

Nope, the real SLS is over 8m in diameter. 5.37m is the correct, scaled down figure. 3.75m would be almost comically small for this rocket.

Agreed. They only reason I am considering something other than the 5.37m scaled core is compatibility with other mods.

Agreed. They only reason I am considering something other than the 5.37m scaled core is compatibility with other mods.

But why have just another 3.75m rocket? The point of the SLS is to launch huge payloads, and with the advent of the auto-fairings mod making it size compatible really isn't an issue. I say go for the realistic 5.37m figure.

My vote goes for realism, for sure.. If I wanted compatibility, Id find all I want in KW or NP.. Please don't shrink it down.... Or if you do, make sure you give us the numbers to bring it up to it's realistic, scaled size

But why have just another 3.75m rocket? The point of the SLS is to launch huge payloads, and with the advent of the auto-fairings mod making it size compatible really isn't an issue. I say go for the realistic 5.37m figure.

Sounds good to me.

My vote goes for realism, for sure.. If I wanted compatibility, Id find all I want in KW or NP.. Please don't shrink it down.... Or if you do, make sure you give us the numbers to bring it up to it's realistic, scaled size

Good point, lol

The difference in 5m and 5.37m is so small, you should just round it off so it fits with the other 5m parts. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

yeah its only 1 foot difference. But if its going to be a true scale (.64) model in the KSP game world itd have to be 5.37M core stage. It seems like everyone is pretty torn, but I will not be making the core 3m.

I agree with Tiberion that you should make the core stage rounded to 5m. One thing I hate about bobcat's historical mods is their incompatibility with practically every other mod part.

Yeah that was my thought was compatibility. I think I'm going to go with the 5m so people can use what I have on other mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.