[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

What if you made 5.37 to 3m and 5m adapter/decoupler so people could connect to other parts as they choose while maintaining the realism that most people desire? I know you already have your work cut out for you with these awesome parts but perhaps making 2 more relatively simple ones could really solve a lot of issues.

My main concern is that even a 0.37m difference can be quite visible when your ship is put next to the realistically scaled mods, like ISS or anything from BobCat. Also, 0.37m is a good clearance to have if you're going to make the Block IA cargo version, which has the 2nd stage and fairing the same diameter as the core. That way, it'd be able to fit 5m parts inside.

My main concern is that even a 0.37m difference can be quite visible when your ship is put next to the realistically scaled mods, like ISS or anything from BobCat. Also, 0.37m is a good clearance to have if you're going to make the Block IA cargo version, which has the 2nd stage and fairing the same diameter as the core. That way, it'd be able to fit 5m parts inside.

Damn that is a pretty big difference. All these decisions lol.

TryutiR.jpg

Holy S***!!!!!! Good God what is the poly count on those!? Word of advice, make sure that compresses down a LOT before using or else it will tank your KSP FPS.

That aside, wow. just wow. Those are freaking amazing models. What program are you using?

Right now everything is High Poly, Im in the middle of converting everything down to more KSP manageable low poly versions. I'm using maya right now to build everything.

My issue with realistically sized stuff is that it tends to be larger than the VAB which makes editing it kind of difficult. Granted with the new VAB I'm not sure how big it is compared to the old one, so it just might fit, so I'll save my judgement until I see how big it is in the VAB.

It will fit, I believe. BobCat's Ares V is realistically scaled and it fits, SLS Block I isn't that much bigger. Block II is (it seems that it's the version in that pic), but even then, the new VAB should accommodate it.

My issue with realistically sized stuff is that it tends to be larger than the VAB which makes editing it kind of difficult. Granted with the new VAB I'm not sure how big it is compared to the old one, so it just might fit, so I'll save my judgement until I see how big it is in the VAB.

Should fit just fine BobCats ARES fit just fine in the new VAB with no problem and with room to spare, so there should be no problem with the SLS.

My only worry is the wobbly joints. On some of my old Novapunch 5m rockets I had to overdose on struts just to get to orbit or the damned thing would fold itself into a million pieces.

I was originally going to say "Bobcat's got this nailed with his American pack" but I have to say... Wow... just... WOW!

My only worry is the wobbly joints. On some of my old Novapunch 5m rockets I had to overdose on struts just to get to orbit or the damned thing would fold itself into a million pieces.

I was originally going to say "Bobcat's got this nailed with his American pack" but I have to say... Wow... just... WOW!

thanks lol, and I hope its not too wobbly.

Ok guys, I've decided to go the higher poly route vice the low poly and depending heavily on normal maps. Id rather have the geometry what inspired me to make this choice is Cardboardboxprocessor's RD-33NK engine which looks absolutely amazing. If you want you can stop by his thread and give him props.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24970-0-20-Kosmos-Spacecraft-Design-Bureau-Updated-(7-30-13)/page39

Here is his RD-33NK.

Rd-3312.png

It will fit, I believe. BobCat's Ares V is realistically scaled and it fits, SLS Block I isn't that much bigger. Block II is (it seems that it's the version in that pic), but even then, the new VAB should accommodate it.

Actually Ares-1 is less than 100 meters tall, whereas the SLS is over 300 meters tall. Realistically speaking.

Actually Ares-1 is less than 100 meters tall, whereas the SLS is over 300 meters tall. Realistically speaking.

Dragon01 was talking about Ares V, not Ares I. SLS Block I has a height of 321 FEET, not meters. Ares V was going to be 381 feet, so SLS is actually going to be smaller.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/588413main_SLS_Fun_Facts.pdf

SLS is over 300 meters tall. Realistically speaking.

What???? The SLS is not 900 feet tall. The Saturn V was barely a third of that. The SLS is expected to be ABOUT the same height as the Saturn V because of constraints in the VAB. EDIT it was probbably a typo, the website says feet, not meters.

Also scale by 64% please. That is the scale factor Bobcat uses, it's the one Chimer and I's ULA pack uses etc.

Ok guys, I've decided to go the higher poly route vice the low poly and depending heavily on normal maps. Id rather have the geometry what inspired me to make this choice is Cardboardboxprocessor's RD-33NK engine which looks absolutely amazing. If you want you can stop by his thread and give him props.

While it's your choice, let me strongly suggest you be careful about it because you will put yourself in a corner as the models and texture sizes become larger. As Unity has a memory limit on it, no matter how big and powerful your computer, the more complex the models, the fewer total parts you can have in your KSP without hitting that limit. This is the problem with BobCat's addon. If I have it, I have to eliminate almost all my other mods because I hit the limit if I just use BobCat, ULA, RemoteTech 1 and KSPX. I can't even include Lionhead's ESA pack or NovaPunch, much less Procedural Fairings and Ferram.

BTW, for those wondering, I have over a TERRABYTE of paging file available, 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, and 1GB of Graphics RAM. The fact of the matter is, if I pull BobCat, BAC9, and Romfarer, I can put 9+ more addons in simply because of the amount of space they take up in the preload.

Actually it would be nice to have a low poly and a high poly version, so that people can choose and it doesn't lag some people's computers (mine would likely be one of them :(). Though, I do love the look of the high poly version, so I would use it anyway :)

What I have been thinking, it will be more work for me, but having both available like you suggest. I should be able to bake everything down just fine texture wise with some minor adjustments.

While it's your choice, let me strongly suggest you be careful about it because you will put yourself in a corner as the models and texture sizes become larger. As Unity has a memory limit on it, no matter how big and powerful your computer, the more complex the models, the fewer total parts you can have in your KSP without hitting that limit. This is the problem with BobCat's addon. If I have it, I have to eliminate almost all my other mods because I hit the limit if I just use BobCat, ULA, RemoteTech 1 and KSPX. I can't even include Lionhead's ESA pack or NovaPunch, much less Procedural Fairings and Ferram.

BTW, for those wondering, I have over a TERRABYTE of paging file available, 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, and 1GB of Graphics RAM. The fact of the matter is, if I pull BobCat, BAC9, and Romfarer, I can put 9+ more addons in simply because of the amount of space they take up in the preload.

Yes, thats why i have been torn because I know how much performance can be a severe drag when there is more geometry present but textures probably even more so. When i get these part into KSP and we start testing everything out I think the we will be able to gauge where I need to make the changes. And if the high poly models will be usable, if they arent at all Ill adjust and make the changes. I have no issues with the extra work, Im a student and all of this is a learning experience for me. The bottom line is I want to get the most accurate SLS that the game can handle but still be playable, if that means having two versions of some of the parts so be it, no skin off my back more practice for me. My computer is not a good computer to judge performance though I'm Running 2 6 Core Xeon Processors with 64GB of ram and 4 gigs of Graphics memory. Which isnt much use when it comes to this game but its going to be hard for me to judge how well my mod will perform on more realistic computers.

Thanks CapFlyer for your response and I think building both parts high and low poly versions is going to be a reasonable compromise, and it will make everyone happy :) lol

KW went with high/low res textures on their addon many moons ago and that made a lot of people happy. I think it's great that you want to do both because it'll help everyone. Those who only want to run a few addons and those who want to have a good selection. :)

I like having a bit of selection. Makes it more fun when you're launching a variety of missions. :)

I don't care if you make it the high poly only, as long as you do respect to the SLS. I have been waiting ages after the cancellation of the IFE pack, I hope can do it well. I personally think both should be available for people. This is coming along great though :). Keep at the modeling, I am willing to wait for greatness.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.