[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

I can help you out too, both with testing and making an accurate design. The SLS has at least 5 variants planned, and that's not counting the F1/SSMEs dispute. I'm not sure which one you're making, it looks like Block II with SRBs from Block I. I could help you sort that out.

Not sure but that sounds about right, maybe a lil less than that. Like for instance should the core stage be two parts or one? I'd like to make the F-1 engine base. We will see, I guess its something I will have to figure out. Im new to unity and will be jumping into tonight for the first time. So wish me luck.

I would love to have the F-1 be a separate part from the boosters. But, to figure out the part count, lets's do some math...

Okay, math done, and in the max config that I got* it was about 26-30 parts on the ship.

Just some additional notes: it would be nice to be able to choose different versions of each part, so people can make each block. So Block 0 would get the shortened fuel tank and only 3 engines in the core stage, and have no upper stage, other than the Orion. Or the Block 2 cargo would have the 3 J-2X upper stage, a payload adapter, 5 RS-25E engines, an elongated core fuel tank, and 2 Advanced Boosters, etc... I know I might be asking a bit much, but hey, maybe you could be like NASA and release them one version at a time :)?

(*read: could think of)

I can help you out too, both with testing and making an accurate design. The SLS has at least 5 variants planned, and that's not counting the F1/SSMEs dispute. I'm not sure which one you're making, it looks like Block II with SRBs from Block I. I could help you sort that out.

Im making all of them except the Block 0 with the shortened fuel tank and 3 RS-25's maybe down the line but not now.

Nice job, looks great. What modeling package you using?

Im using maya

I would love to have the F-1 be a separate part from the boosters. But, to figure out the part count, lets's do some math...

Okay, math done, and in the max config that I got* it was about 26-30 parts on the ship.

Just some additional notes: it would be nice to be able to choose different versions of each part, so people can make each block. So Block 0 would get the shortened fuel tank and only 3 engines in the core stage, and have no upper stage, other than the Orion. Or the Block 2 cargo would have the 3 J-2X upper stage, a payload adapter, 5 RS-25E engines, an elongated core fuel tank, and 2 Advanced Boosters, etc... I know I might be asking a bit much, but hey, maybe you could be like NASA and release them one version at a time :)?

(*read: could think of)

Im not sure i will be doing the Block 0 right now but maybe down the line, but I do intend on making all the other blocks of the SLS but a lot of it is in the conceptual phase but I like the Idea of the quad RL-10 or the Dual J-2x Cryo stage and what not, I will be building a payload adapter. A 5 RS-25 variant will be available. I am going to be modeling the advanced booster that will actually be soething Ill be working on very soon, when I revise the SRB I've already made. Though I havent found too many images of the advanced booster but I will make do. And I do have all these already planned so no worries everything is built that is required to make just about all the block versions except the 8 meter cryo (which will come later), the advanced RB, F-1(which will come later), and the adapters and fairings and what not.

one of the few images of the Advanced Booster http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/01/the-dark-knights-atks-advanced-booster-revealed-for-sls/

Z63.jpg

here is the triple J-2x second stage but this can be easily modified for 2 or 1.

3OzNhHK.jpg

Edited by Stevincent

In photoshop I work with layers and masks, I always work lossless I hate adding things I cant undo like levels or saturation so I use adjustment layers.

Thank god someone else gets this! I'm a (print-based) graphic designer and I cannot tell you how many times I am handed a PSD with merged layers or where someone's helpful tweaks were made to the image on the layer itself versus an adjustment layer. Hey dude, you know, that edit might look great on your (completely uncalibrated) monitor, but if I have to go to press/production with this you've just added a whole ton of time onto my schedule I didn't need.

OK sorry...threadjack over!

Thank god someone else gets this! I'm a (print-based) graphic designer and I cannot tell you how many times I am handed a PSD with merged layers or where someone's helpful tweaks were made to the image on the layer itself versus an adjustment layer. Hey dude, you know, that edit might look great on your (completely uncalibrated) monitor, but if I have to go to press/production with this you've just added a whole ton of time onto my schedule I didn't need.

OK sorry...threadjack over!

Im in school now, and when I see people apply adjustments directly to the layer I just cringe. Especially when it comes to 3D stuff, becase 90% of the time your going to have to make an adjustment and you just lost all that information. You try to explain to them why thats bad and they just dont get it.

Um, what's the polycount on each of those engines? It looks extremely high. Just so you know, the polycount roughly doubles when you convert it to triangles.

He is making a low poly version in addition to a high poly version. He knows about the polycounts and the triangles.

Um, what's the polycount on each of those engines? It looks extremely high. Just so you know, the polycount roughly doubles when you convert it to triangles.

I have the RS-25 down to 2600 poly's and the low poly version I have at about 200 I believe maybe less.

here is the 2600 version model

EyjHVzM.jpg

I have the RS-25 down to 2600 poly's and the low poly version I have at about 200 I believe maybe less.

here is the 2600 version model

snip

200, wow that is indeed low poly. I can't fathom which computer couldn't handle the 2600 poly version though. A lot of stock parts have more I believe. Some of my models easily break 6k on the complex large engines. You truly are a master of optimization. And your textures are gorgeous. Keep up the amazing work.

so the core state is in game, but I think its too big, I believe I imported everything ok but, I have the scale factor in the config as 1. I imported everything into unity to the .64 scale I thought I should be good, should I be adjusting the scale factor?

*EDIT*

NVM I think I have everything right lol.

Edited by Stevincent

Awesome, I do have a few questions for you guys.

When should I release what I have, its going to be slow going on these parts as school starts to ramp up. So should I just release as I finish parts? Or should I just wait till I have everything done?

Also does the core stage have retro rockets for separation?

And another question (LOL) anyone know any good resources on config files and unity, I cant find a lot of the definitions of the config stuff, the wiki page is terribly out of date, and information is scattered all over or is extremely vague and assumes you already know a lot about unity. Anyways thanks.

Real world, you have to use rockets of some sort for all staging events because explosive bolts just shear themselves, they don't actually give any "push" and springs big enough to impart any serious dV on stages would be too big and heavy.

The Delta & Atlas rockets use a combination of retro rockets and ullage thrusting of RCS to execute their separations, so I would imagine that SLS will be similar.

Awesome, I do have a few questions for you guys.

When should I release what I have, its going to be slow going on these parts as school starts to ramp up. So should I just release as I finish parts? Or should I just wait till I have everything done?

Seeing as how it's still WIP and you've got a bunch of folks willing to beta test (myself included) I'd say release the parts piecemeal. And add the caveat like shadowsutekh mentioned, and also note that future updates may break crafts. When you get ready to release you can set up a thread in the releases section.

And another question (LOL) anyone know any good resources on config files and unity, I cant find a lot of the definitions of the config stuff, the wiki page is terribly out of date, and information is scattered all over or is extremely vague and assumes you already know a lot about unity. Anyways thanks.

Honestly I'd say probably 90% of what I've learned from cfg files I have learned reading through BobCat's, CORE, KW, and NovaPunch cfgs. BobCat and CORE's cfgs taught me how CoMOffset works to help balance heavy loads on top of a booster, and looking at stuff like the KW fairing bases helped me learn how the attach node coordinate system works. I also learned a lot from UbioZur's 'welded' parts using the MODEL nodes, that you can assemble a module that the game sees as a single 'part' that physics acts on as a whole (like right now I am developing the Mars Transfer Vehicle frame like the one in this video:

), but doing so using off-the-shelf parts (since I fail at Blender). Right now I think I am using stuff from NovaPunch and the RogerCorp girder pack (which I had to do the PART {} wrapper to bring into .21) Bac9's B9 pack is also a great place, because of the way he re-uses textures and models - you can basically create multiple rescales of a part just by adding multiple configs in the same folder as the model and texture. This way the game only loads the model and texture once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.