Custom Control Pad + Sneak Peek video

L.J. Silver

Well lets step through my first impressions.

The control pad does a very good job of making it feel like you are using a control pad for your spaceship. I have only used it on my iPad mini and it is quite functional.

So I will now run through my pros, cons, and suggestions. Keeping in mind there are still bug fixes and touch how being released to beta testers in the next few days.

PROS:

1) Looks like and actual console

2) Displays useful information via LCD like the Celestial Body Info, Orbit info, and Vessel Info

3) The ability to rearrange the panel to whatever configuration you want

4) The ability exists to send info to the program from other Mods and Plugins should the developers wish to do that(MecJeb2, ORDA, KAS and Kerbal Engineer instantly sprung to mind for me)

4) Nice touches of things like save buttons, map, view and other UI buttons

Cons:

1) Apparently no volume control for the button presses so that is a little annoying.

2) Having to reconnect to the control pad at every launch is a bit annoying as well, it would be nice if it remembered the port number for each session of KSP that you play so you aren't having to type it in each time(I launch crash, launch crash, so this is frequent for me)

3) Controls don't appears responsive enough for me to trust flying with it BUT I do love using it for information and button clicks which is where it would excel for other plugins to run off of, like MechJeb

Suggestions:

1) Other Mod developers should definitely take a look at this, it makes the KSP experience more immersive and because you can customize it the options are endless

2) Few more settings like volume control

3) Make the port saved for the session if possible

Hi Toyota, great thanks for first feedback, i'm writing a fast reply now, hope to extend it later :

- Controls responsiveness, if your wifi signal is not strong, or network is slow, lag in inputs will show up. If you have bluetooth on your PC/Mac, you can connect your iOS device to the PC (have to reach bluetooth setting in "settings" app on your iDevice). ONce a bluetooth connection is established , CCP will use that ! (meaning SUPER responsiveness, as if was a PS3 joystick). If it doesn't, email me beacouse its a bug we will have to handle it.

- We are working on volume control bug

- Permanent connection in KSP will come, not hard , just have to find some time to dedicate to KSP mod.

More info soon...

Edited by L.J. Silver

I will gladly buy multiple versions of this app to get it running on all my devices. This will finally clear up some space on my main display while using mech jeb, I'll soon be able to have the all important orbital, surface, vessel info, etc on a tablet. I might just use my phone as staging and abort button.

-It'd be great if a section of the digital display was dedicated to vessel/damage warnings, I imagine a corner flashing in red text "Low Fuel" or "Structural Failure between ___ and ___"

-Detailed fuel panel showing what tanks have fuel and where, and ability to transfer (I don't really like how fuel transfer works in game at the moment)

Keep up all the good work and please just take my money!

:EDIT: Hey is there a Lightroom module planned for the app? I will definitely be using this with PS as well, so it'd be awesome if it behaves the same in Lightroom.

Edited by Arkasai

This looks excellent, i will be following updates on this. It'd be great to have kerbipedia info on atmosphere, gravity well, etc on the BDS and Mechjeb functions on a touch screen.

I believe from my understanding of talking with LJ(and correct me if I am wrong), if we want mechjeb controls then the creator would need to code their plugin to send data to the CCP plugin so that we could have Mechjeb awesomeness on touch screen. So the question becomes whether or not those devs want to do that

are you guys gonna do anything like this for android

Yep Android version is in the works. Waiting version 1.1 of application as it will introduce MANY new features, plus fighting with burocracy as google contract with developers leaves a lot of complex burocracy on developers (if dev wants to do it "clean" legally).

Yep Android version is in the works. Waiting version 1.1 of application as it will introduce MANY new features, plus fighting with burocracy as google contract with developers leaves a lot of complex burocracy on developers (if dev wants to do it "clean" legally).

OOOH new feature, i can't wait to test those :cool:

I hope this gets onto android ASAP, cant wait to use it, looks awesome for docking and controlling things like damned robotics

Yeah customizing an interface for Infernal Robotics(since DR is now dead it seems and sirkut and Devo will be making all new parts for IR), would definitely be a good use for this tool.

I can also say that after further testing the lag seems pretty much non existent, which is sooo awesome.

I can also say that after further testing the lag seems pretty much non existent, which is sooo awesome.

Very happy to hear that !

Have just sent online new beta version (beta testers should have received email).

Apart from big fixes / additions to CCP application on mobile device, i spent some time on KSP plugin (link in mail) and here are the changes / fixes :

- Persistent connection :)

- Plugin will show up in SpaceCenter and Flight scenes, once you connect it should not disconnect for whole game session.

- Can now totally hide CCP button and re-reveal it pressing "k" on keyboard (or can set up a button in CCP for this :) ).

- other fixes here and there…..

- PLUGIN DOESNT WORK WITH KSP previous of 0.21.

L.J. Being that I'm also a musician I was curious about your OP stating midi. What are you using to translate the communication especially midi?

We are creating a virtual device (with driver) on the PC /Mac and send input from ipad (or to ipad) through that, if the application listend for midi channels it will be able to listen do input form CCP (with all midi benefits). We are still working out some issues on midi and joystick drivers (many OS versions, crashes, and mostly a way to configure midi channel data), so MIDI and Joystick wont make it into version one, BUT they will be among the "stars" of version 1.1 wich will be released shortly after. More info on it will be available after v.1.0 release. (in the meantime if you have any preferences, requests or suggestions regarding midi, let me know more than happy to listen to them).

controlling things like damned robotics

Absolutely, in a ideal scenario you could have a tablet with main flight info and controls, and a phone with Damned Robotics controls........ (done that, was great ;) )

Hey folks still Kicking butt and taking names with Beta 2 of this Mod, and loving it, I thought i'd share some screen shots with you to show the cool, LCD data output screen and the current layout.

CLCvOHk.png

Pr7OHaR.png

D8ibgmg.png

The data being sent to the LCD display is real time, I think this would be an awesome control panel for IR or MJ2 or even RT2.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO L.J. SILVER I AM MERELY A BETA TESTER

Edited by Toyotawolf

L.J. Silver

Here's what I'm referring to. I'm currently using a different piece of software(it's a PAIN to figure out the notes) but it would be neat to use something more user friendly in terms of denoting what midi notes do what such as an autodetect.

Korg Poly-800

This is quite possibly the COOLEST thing I have seen all week! I'm not sure where you are up to on versions for other devices, but I'd be more than happy to beta test for an iPhone or Android tablet version. I also have an Android phone knocking about if needed.

A small suggestion though - a throttle 'fine' control slide area (think like how you scroll a page on a touchscreen device) would be great, and allow for super-precise landings for those of us without joysticks.

This is quite possibly the COOLEST thing I have seen all week! I'm not sure where you are up to on versions for other devices, but I'd be more than happy to beta test for an iPhone or Android tablet version. I also have an Android phone knocking about if needed.

A small suggestion though - a throttle 'fine' control slide area (think like how you scroll a page on a touchscreen device) would be great, and allow for super-precise landings for those of us without joysticks.

like in an airplane right?

You should team up with Forum user "Trueborn". I would love to see all of the gauges from the "steam gauges mod" implemented into this. I love the steam gauges mod but it just clutters up the screen too much. Having them on another screen via a tablet would be a great improvement.

A Scott manly video of steam gauges:

The Steam Gauges Forum Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40730-SteamGauges-Release-Thread

You should team up with Forum user "Trueborn". I would love to see all of the gauges from the "steam gauges mod" implemented into this. I love the steam gauges mod but it just clutters up the screen too much. Having them on another screen via a tablet would be a great improvement.

A Scott manly video of steam gauges:

The Steam Gauges Forum Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40730-SteamGauges-Release-Thread

If i understand L.J.Silver's intent(he is the owner of this mod, i am just one of many testers) You could create your own layouts and import them into this tool and use them, so the sky is really the limit for what you want this to look like.

Will there be an option for pc?? It would be nice to also be able to use this on a second monitor to be able to de-clutter the ksp window. I think that this is a great mod, especially if you have a tablet (not yet for me), but would be nice to be able to use on second monitor, or different machine (laptop) etc....

Just a thought / with.

good luck with this great looking mod.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.