.21 Release and Mod Updates

Oddible

As a newb who just started with .20 I'm curious how much .21 will affect existing mods. Especially the biggies like MechJeb & Engineer. Is there typically a lag time while these devs catch up with the current version or are some of the big mods devs usually given betas so they can get on top of them?

Also, the directory structure for mods doesn't seem as clean as I would like, instead of just blowing away a single directory /mods with subdirectories for /GameData /Parts, etc, mods stuff seems to be scattered all over the place and mixed in with core content. This makes starting fresh problematic. I wish the directory architecture was cleaner.

The directory architecture is pretty simple IMO, you just have all your mod folders in the gamedata folder and you can manage from there.

With the changes to SAS and ASAS, any mod that adds command pods or SAS or ASAS units to the game will likely need some reworking to be fully compatible. Everything else SHOULD be okay.

IIRC Kerbal Engineer hasn't been updated since 0.19 and it still works.

Mechjeb worked when 0.20 was released but there was still an update within 6 hours I think.

The kethane mode wasn't updated until a couple of days afterwards though I think. Think someone was very quick to make an unofficial fix for it though.

The directory architecture is pretty simple IMO, you just have all your mod folders in the gamedata folder and you can manage from there.

Hmm, so I may be installing my mods incorrectly? I put Parts in the KSP/parts directory (Engineer Chip, Mumech_MechJeb parts, protractor, etc), I put Plugins in the KSP/Plugins directory (Engineer.dll, MuMechLib.dll, etc), I put folders in the KSP/PluginData directory (/engineer, /nodeselect), I put other stuff in the KSP/GameData directory (/HrmHaystack, /KWRocketry, etc). Are you saying that I should have just put all of these in their corresponding mod folders in KSP/GameData? Because if that is the case, I have zero issues with the data architecture. Having mod bits scattered all over several directories is problematic design imho. Maybe I've been doing it wrong!

Having mod bits scattered all over several directories is the PRE .20 way

put all of these in their corresponding mod folders in KSP/GameData is the NEW .20 way.

so if a mod Hasn't been updated to .20 at all, then you do need to have it in /parts, /plugins etc.

but if it is a .20 style mod, then just drop ONE folder into the Gamedata folder.

Thats the old way of installing mods, you should only be installing in this manner if a mod states it needs to be installed in Legacy fashion (atm only the TT family of mods needs to be installed like this as far as i know).

Most mods post 0.20 use the GameData folder for installing, Squad uses this for the stock parts as well.

Hmm, well, I went back through most of my addons and nearly all of them seem to have not updated to this new .20 method. Either that or they are using some standardized Installation Instructions on SpacePort which still shows dumping things into individual directions. Even simple addons like Chatterer list themselves as .20 but list install instructions to dump files all over the place.

Edited by Oddible

They may not have updated the "How to install" bit, as they should all work in the new format IF they say they have been updated. To be sure you can backup your game files, then change it and test the new method, but I believe they should work, even Squad's parts are in Gamedate!

That is definitely wrong oddible. For Chaterer (as an example) there is nothing in either the thread's OP nor the spaceport page that says to install it that way. Further, the manual that comes with the download says to put the whole RBR folder into Gamedata. Sorry friend, but you are definitely installing mods wrong. They will still function the way you are putting them in, which actually is plus points to squad for making it work either way, but now all mods can go into their own sub-folder in gamedata. A good way to tell if a mod is meant to be put into gamedata or into the basic game folders is simply to look at the contents of the downloaded archive. If the archive comes with a folder inside containing sub-folders with parts plugins etc. then the entire folder should be dropped into Gamedata. If it comes as a collection of folders in the archive it is probably intended to go into the game's root directory as you described. However in some cases this may not be necessary, so experiment with it a little bit. The TT multiwheels do require being in the root directory, but almost nothing else does now.

Anyways back to your OP question, .21 might throw off things like mechjeb because of the changes to the SAS and the new reaction wheel system. Mechjeb may be perfectly fine, or it may die horribly, there is no way to tell.

In general, most of the time mod development stops once it is clear that a new version is within a couple of weeks away, and the authors attend more to community questions and basically sit there waiting for the new version to release so that they can properly update. TL DR There is a slight delay but most mods update within a day or two.

Edited by PringleMan

Please take a look at the Chatterer page here. Click on Installation. You are correct that the readme.txt in the zip has the correct instructions. At the top of that Installation page are also the correct instructions, but what follows are the stock instructions from SpacePort which lists the old method. These stock instructions are included in MANY addons that may or may not require that method. Additionally, there are addons that have been updated for .20 (like Kerbal Engineer Redux) that seem to still require this old method (or at least the instructions say so). It just isn't consistent yet - and I expect it will take a bit til everyone gets shifted over with updates and such (no need to update if it ain't broken!).

Oddible, sadly the way the spaceport works is that the spaceport itself added all that "old" instructions (note, it is exactly the same on every effected mod). The (better) Mod Dev's put "current" instructions on the top, if they could.

What Fyrem said, if you'll notice the very page you linked to says

Installation

1) Extract the .zip archive to a directory of your choice 2) Open this directory and copy the RBR folder (Ctrl-C, right-click>Copy, etc) 3) Open your KSP/GameData directory 4) Paste the copied RBR directory from step 2 into KSP/GameData

Everything below that is part of Spaceport and wrong wrong wrong.

Hopefully will be fix with the upcoming spaceport 2.

Mechjeb 2.0 won't work in .21 the part won't stay on the rocket when you try to place it with left click it doesn't place on the rocket. then when i try to delete the part i was trying to place mechjeb on i can't delete it.

Mechjeb 2.0 won't work in .21 the part won't stay on the rocket when you try to place it with left click it doesn't place on the rocket. then when i try to delete the part i was trying to place mechjeb on i can't delete it.

Confirmed.

MechJeb's orbital gizmos stopped working after the update. Orbital Information, Orbital Operations, and Rendezvous Module are all kaputt. I'd imagine this is because of their massive code overhaul. Hope someone fixes it soon, I'm flying blind.

Hmm, well, I went back through most of my addons and nearly all of them seem to have not updated to this new .20 method. Either that or they are using some standardized Installation Instructions on SpacePort which still shows dumping things into individual directions. Even simple addons like Chatterer list themselves as .20 but list install instructions to dump files all over the place.

Trust me, I've tried to remove the old instructions from Chatterer on SpacePort. Looks like once you turn it on to display that old information, it can't be turned off again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.