Check this game out 'Take on Mars'

stargazer1235

I have just saw a potentially great space game on steam. It is called Take on Mars, in which you take control of mars rover opportunities at the JPL. You can construct rovers from scratch and recreate famous historic mars missions. You also have the ability to study the soil and the rocks on the terrain.

The game is suppose to release next month on steam but no exact ETA yet.

Check out more at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244030/

The game comes out tomorrow! :) Someone was kind enough to make a .gif countdown for it.

http://gifcountdown.com/europe-prague/1375358400/315267/a6a619/ffff00/feeca3/ffff00/true/counter.gif

If the .gif doesn't work for you, a dev said it comes out August 1, at 8:00 AM EST, or 1:00 PM GST.

Edited by Sapphire

I bought it this morning and had a chance to play for about 10 minutes before work. Judging by the responses on the Steam forum, it's a little difficult to figure out (and I had this problem as well.) There are a couple tutorials in the game now, but none for actually operating the rovers/landers. (Devs have said they'll be available within a week or so.) I started a mission, and ended up seeing basically nothing except a few spots. Thought the game was bugged until I accidentally found the key for 3rd person view ('C') and realized that it was just night and all I could see were stars. If you're in first person, you can hit 'L' to turn on your lights. But that was about all I had time for. It looks really detailed and fun; will check it out more this evening.

Well my first thought about this early access is, it is a fun Mars exploration simulation which you can plan some missions and build rovers/landers. However I think it needs a development on the "mission control" system since all we do for now is build or choose a capable rover/lander for the mission and take photos of the preset points in the views. I think we shouldn't be taking photos of specific points, we should "explore" it. Because now the player is only a worker driving the damn craft wherever their bosses order to drive. The game is just published so I won't make any harsh critics on it, but I'm a little bit afraid that it is going to be a "finish the task, get the achievement" game which has an end on its storyline unlikely KSP or Minecraft that you write your own storyline.

Well my first thought about this early access is, it is a fun Mars exploration simulation which you can plan some missions and build rovers/landers. However I think it needs a development on the "mission control" system since all we do for now is build or choose a capable rover/lander for the mission and take photos of the preset points in the views. I think we shouldn't be taking photos of specific points, we should "explore" it. Because now the player is only a worker driving the damn craft wherever their bosses order to drive. The game is just published so I won't make any harsh critics on it, but I'm a little bit afraid that it is going to be a "finish the task, get the achievement" game which has an end on its storyline unlikely KSP or Minecraft that you write your own storyline.

The game will support modding and has an ingame editor. You can definitely write your own storyline.

So the game wasn't impressing me too much at first - the small rover wasn't fun to control at all. Camera mounted on the back, no cool moving parts, very slow. But the second I picked up the medium rover, the game significantly improved! And I love how the landers operate, even if they are all one-off. I'm loving it now. And the environment is excellent, especially at dusk.

Picked it up yesterday and have played 4 hours so far. I love the Concept of it, although i just feel like there is no Challenge in it at all, and that I don't have control over doing my own Exploration and Science in Career Mode [haven't tried the other Modes yet]. The Game is littered with Waypoints that just constantly point to the pin position on where to be, and what to do where. Personally, I would much prefer a "Hard Mode" Option that disables Waypoints and "big coloured circles on the Ground" and replace it with Co-Ordinates that I need to follow, this way, it will actually be about Exploration and Science. The Pictures instead of showing a big Green Box on the screen should also be removed, which at the end of your Mission, your Pictures will be priced on how effective they were.

The Game is cheap, and again, the Concept is very nice indeed, however, I don't see it being a long time Gameplay style for me unless there is a reason to do some thinking in it, otherwise, it's just point A to point B to point C ect ect ect ect. Even if they keep the Waypoints for Area's of Interest, and Remove the Boxes for Pictures and Science, it would seem much more appealing for longer Gameplay.

Edited by EmissionGeneration

Anybody picked up some nice screenshots yet?

Releasing a heat shield from the Phoenix lander thing, and showing off the game on ultra settings!

r7Avy6b.jpg

I think I kinda killed my rover... is it just me, or are the solar panels on the medium rover way too fragile?

ev4iu9Y.jpg

My first Curiosity rover, and I immediately drive it off a cliff at night and cripple it. ;.;

fkYxe5M.jpg

I think driving around at dusk makes the game look its best.

QxnvKuW.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.