Come back old ASAS - all is forgiven!

ComradeGoat

Rockets are not cooperating for me. With more than enough torque, a rocket that worked perfectly well in 0.20 will begin to spontaneously roll and drift, and the SAS does nothing. Even when I turn in RCS, the SAS is happy to just let the ship change heading. Give me KILL-ROT any day over this: oh wait, mechjeb doesn't work!

I'm flying craft that held a heading perfectly, with barely any control surface deflection in 0.20, and they Will. Not. Hold. A. Heading.

Furthermore, they won't even hold a heading in space.

Yeah I do not think it will hold 100% heading. I might be wrong, but the way it works now is that it slowly increases the control surface angles until the movement in a given axis stops. This means that if you pitch up to say 20 degrees, your nose will start to pitch down, the asas will compensate, and you will stop pitching down at somewhere around 10 degrees. If you have lots of control surfaces, it reacts quicker, closer to the initial position. I haven't tried anything in space yet, but I would guess that since the wing surfaces are useless in space, for a craft that is not prefectly symmetrical (say a space plane) you will need some extra torque from the pods. Try putting some more SAS (yes the ordinary SAS) on the space plane. I think that they will once again become relevant for unbalanced rockets.

Planes or rockets? Rockets seem to fly OK. It's planes that are rendered near useless for me.

Rockets are beautiful steady as a rock, and today was the first time I was able to get a SSTO space plane into orbit with enough fuel to go to the Mun!

Seems to be working for me, although I've only tried rockets so far. The Mun lander in the 'Mun Orbit' scenario can be locked onto one heading and will keep it regardless of how much throttle you're using. Still not sure if it's additive yet.

One possible oversight - there's no ModuleReactionWheel module in the part file for the 2.5m ASAS, it doesn't do much anymore (which might be pwndedDuck's problem).

Rockets are beautiful steady as a rock, and today was the first time I was able to get a SSTO space plane into orbit with enough fuel to go to the Mun!

Are you kidding me? It's crap for small rockets (I had to use the plane SAS for rockets because the normal one is too heavy, and it sucks!)!

kDxVvCV.png

My rocket's rolling out of control (there's a plane SAS in there).

I have to agree here. It's not an issue with reaction wheels, it's an issue with the ASAS not being nearly as aggressive as it should be in holding a heading. I slapped together a little 16 part mock-Mig-21 to test OP's claim out and the ASAS is just, well ... wussy.

While the plane itself doesn't have much lift at the end of the runway I can bring up the angle of attack and get it off the ground and into the air. I have to pull up hard (keyboard, so I guess it's full-bore no matter what) but the thing flies fine. Once I set the ASAS and let go, the control surfaces react at roughly half their ability in order to hold the heading. The craft requires a moderate AOA in order to stay off the ground, so when the ASAS is being a little wuss about my control surfaces, it lets the AOA slip and the craft eventually loses altitude and crashes.

IMO, the ASAS should do what it needs to do to hold that heading. I'm fine with it "experimenting" to find the proper "control aggression" to use, but if it's not going to even bother using my control surfaces to their fullest extent, what's the point?

Yeah I do not think it will hold 100% heading. I might be wrong, but the way it works now is that it slowly increases the control surface angles until the movement in a given axis stops. This means that if you pitch up to say 20 degrees, your nose will start to pitch down, the asas will compensate, and you will stop pitching down at somewhere around 10 degrees.

I get that. I'm expecting that. That's fine.

What's not fine is the way the other two axes just start wandering themselves while I try and stabilise the pitch.

for a craft that is not prefectly symmetrical (say a space plane) you will need some extra torque from the pods. Try putting some more SAS (yes the ordinary SAS) on the space plane. I think that they will once again become relevant for unbalanced rockets.

I have plenty of torque My problem in space is due to the rudder surface above the plane. Firing the rockets causes a tiny pitch up. The gimbals have enough to counter this by themselves. The command pod (yes, I have power) has enough to counter this by itself. They simply don't seem to be bothering to try.

:( Unfortunately the new ASAS has played havoc with my VTOLS, all the responsiveness is gone and in some cases the ASAS is trying to pitch the craft in the wrong direction, I'm in a bit of a niche market here but the old aircraft ASAS was 10 times better for what I needed...

Cupcake...

Seems to be working for me, although I've only tried rockets so far. The Mun lander in the 'Mun Orbit' scenario can be locked onto one heading and will keep it regardless of how much throttle you're using. Still not sure if it's additive yet.

One possible oversight - there's no ModuleReactionWheel module in the part file for the 2.5m ASAS, it doesn't do much anymore (which might be pwndedDuck's problem).

Sadly not. 1.5 meter parts, 5 reaction wheels and 4 RCS thrusters with more than enough electricity...

Giggleplex, if you're talking about the avionics package, that also lacks a ModuleReactionWheel, so it might not actually be applying any torque.

sJxF6jq.png

This spaceship i built is absolutely rock solid, stops moving as soon as you let go of the keyboard and doesn't drift at all with RCS translation.

edit. No idea then PwnedDuck.

Edited by Mild Peril

So a few people seem to be getting on OK with it. A bunch of us are having major problems.

Can we have the old, lock heading, no matter what, back as an option, please? I just want the things to stay pointing where I point them and not introduce phantom off-axis controls, or decide to change heading half way through a burn.

I have to agree here. It's not an issue with reaction wheels, it's an issue with the ASAS not being nearly as aggressive as it should be in holding a heading. I slapped together a little 16 part mock-Mig-21 to test OP's claim out and the ASAS is just, well ... wussy.

While the plane itself doesn't have much lift at the end of the runway I can bring up the angle of attack and get it off the ground and into the air. I have to pull up hard (keyboard, so I guess it's full-bore no matter what) but the thing flies fine. Once I set the ASAS and let go, the control surfaces react at roughly half their ability in order to hold the heading. The craft requires a moderate AOA in order to stay off the ground, so when the ASAS is being a little wuss about my control surfaces, it lets the AOA slip and the craft eventually loses altitude and crashes.

IMO, the ASAS should do what it needs to do to hold that heading. I'm fine with it "experimenting" to find the proper "control aggression" to use, but if it's not going to even bother using my control surfaces to their fullest extent, what's the point?

as far as AOA goes, I usually put some into the wings when I build as can be seen on this plane from .20 (currently my screenshots don't seem to be working anymore lol):

screenshot116.png

I'm getting the impression that the "testing" of the new "feature" was only done on very basically constructed rockets like the pre-made ones. Sadly I think this will kill off the more adventurous and elegant designs and force us to fly the miserable stacks of dustbins squad seem to want us to fly.

I'm getting the impression that the "testing" of the new "feature" was only done on very basically constructed rockets like the pre-made ones. Sadly I think this will kill off the more adventurous and elegant designs and force us to fly the miserable stacks of dustbins squad seem to want us to fly.

Not even that. I just want to fly this (0.20 screenshot):

Labrys.png

It was a beautifully well behaved little SSTO shuttle in 0.20. Now it's the demon spawn of Satan trying its hardest to kill anyone who goes near it.