Come back old ASAS - all is forgiven!

ComradeGoat

After some quick testing 0.21.1 - this is much much better. It's able to hold my large rockets to a point I set even if the rocket naturally wants to turn away from that. It's applying enough force and doesn't seem to release that if I try to input a rotation in one direction.

Bravo! :D This is good stuff!

P.S> It seems to be locking on to a heading and holding if you quickly tap F again :)

Guys, thank you so much for 0.21.1

It's vastly better. Issues I was seeing have all but disappeared. It wanders a tiny amount when under thrust, but not enough to cause me significant grief. Plane flies beautifully in atmosphere. Thanks for getting this out so quickly.

Guys, thank you so much for 0.21.1

It's vastly better. Issues I was seeing have all but disappeared. It wanders a tiny amount when under thrust, but not enough to cause me significant grief. Plane flies beautifully in atmosphere. Thanks for getting this out so quickly.

I'm still waiting on Steam, but this is great news.

Thanks SQUAD!

I do have a theory on why some people were affected while others weren't. The drifting issue was related to how the SAS would release attitude lock when input was detected, and that could have been getting interference from joystick axes with zero deadzone.

We corrected that by setting a minimum deadzone that's independent of the joystick deadzone, so if you have joysticks with no deadzone, it will still properly ignore the jitter from the analog inputs.

I think those who didn't have this issue either didn't have any noise on their input axes (as detected by unity), or had deadzones set for their joystick assignments. Not sure... That's just my theory of how it could affect some and not everyone.

Cheers

I think those who didn't have this issue either didn't have any noise on their input axes (as detected by unity), or had deadzones set for their joystick assignments. Not sure... That's just my theory of how it could affect some and not everyone.

It was affecting me quite badly (fine now), and I wasn't using a joystick.

I do have a theory on why some people were affected while others weren't. The drifting issue was related to how the SAS would release attitude lock when input was detected, and that could have been getting interference from joystick axes with zero deadzone.

We corrected that by setting a minimum deadzone that's independent of the joystick deadzone, so if you have joysticks with no deadzone, it will still properly ignore the jitter from the analog inputs.

Cheers

I don't have a joystick installed at this time, although I did have a Bluetooth mouse still in the settings and I had a control pad hooked up at one point. Could old settings have "phantomed" their way into KSP?

Cheers

Well my joystick wasn't even plugged in all this time, and there's a lot of people having it that don't even have joysticks, so unless there's phantom inputs, it's not that.

What I see is that it's not setting the attitude lock target at the point where you release the controls, but setting it at some point after that, the distance it's off being proportionate to the rotational speed.

My speculation is that somewhere in there the SAS itself is retriggering the 'Change Target Attitude to Current' function. It's definetly setting an attitude and locking onto it, eventually, it just seems to do so, for the final time at least, really late for some reason.

Cheers

nope, I don't use a joystick, just keyboard.

It was pretty bad for me, but then again I don't fly planes just rockets.

It was pretty clearly a control issue, I coded control systems for years. This had all the hallmarks.

Well, I just took a very basic mun lander that I built to test the 0.21 SAS and put it into orbit under 0.21.1, and it definitely felt better during the gravity turn. It was still drifting back towards vertical when I'd release the "d' key, but not as far as it was under 0.21. Not once did I have to toggle SAS off and back on to get it to lock onto something at least close to the heading I wanted, and even the small adjustments to precisely target a prograde/retrograde/maneuver marker felt easier to do. The roll was clamped better too, though it still existed.

I definitely approve of the change of adding SAS to the probe parts, and while there's still a few things that look out of place, I'm sure that will all shake out by the time 0.22 comes out.

Glad to know it's fixed. Wonder where the issue came from so that some people had it working just fine and others not :l

Wild guessing but there could have been a hard-to-find typo in the algorithm that only manifested itself on certain stups and craft. Alternatively, a script or event kept triggering when it shouldn't for whatever reason. The mention of a fault that "had some very far-reaching implications" seems to support both.

Also, I'd imagine that those of us who prefer manual flight were just happy that they could now use something to help them control craft, while those of us that preferred ASAS/Lazor RSAS/MechJeb/what-have-you to help maintain attitude control and locking were a bit miffed when the most basic of them stopped working as advertised. Hence, the huge amount of bug reports and complaints about the new system from the latter group.

Edited by Hertzila

Any good reports from 0.21.1? Haven't played it yet.

It's better, the much faster and snappier response helps a lot in dealing with the attitude lock not setting properly. It's still there, but it's easier and faster to deal with, and I think a lot less prone to losing control of crafts.

Any good reports from 0.21.1? Haven't played it yet.

If you fly aero, or want the cosmetic changes of the flight area, then now is the time to change.

If that doesn't interest you, then stick with the 0.20.2. The new SAS system still needs to age a little bit.

queue the fan boy freak out.....

If you fly aero, or want the cosmetic changes of the flight area, then now is the time to change.

If that doesn't interest you, then stick with the 0.20.2. The new SAS system still needs to age a little bit.

queue the fan boy freak out.....

It's still got the attitude lock problem (apparently they didn't see the video I posted before or something), but it's a LOT easier to deal with now. I mean, dramatically easier.

It's much, much better now. Rotation stops much more quickly and it doesn't wander around anymore. Asymmetric designs do still tend to turn when thrusting, but that tendency was dramatically reduced - now it's a lot easier to keep the craft pointed in the right direction manually.

Thanks to the guys at Squad for going through that huge thread and fixing the problem! Much appreciated :)