Thoughts on Update?

potoes6

I like it. It does what it's supposed to do. Now what we need is something that maintains a heading. I recently tried orbiter and in that you can select options for heading like prograde, retrograde, +normal, -normal, horizontal level.

That would be a simple fix for this problem. You get the stability and reliability of the new ASAS (No rocket wobble, better planes, not needing 10000000000000 mono propellent), and you can order it to hold a course that you would regularly have to fight to maintain.

While everyone else hates the ASAS, I've found my own pet peeve - having to exit to the space center and go to the tracking station to recover a landed plane, even if it's on the runway. Maybe there should be a recover button on the same popup as revert flight?

While everyone else hates the ASAS, I've found my own pet peeve - having to exit to the space center and go to the tracking station to recover a landed plane, even if it's on the runway. Maybe there should be a recover button on the same popup as revert flight?

Yeah, its called revert to hanger. Just don't launch it again if it doesn't work.

I've had a peculiar experience with the update so far.

BTW, I cleaned out all of my mods and saves before the update.

Tried to fly one of the new stock spaceplanes. All control surfaces would not respond to input. Engine gimbals did, but nothing else worked. Tried another plane, same problem. So now I am trying a completely clean install. I will report back when it is downloaded and installed.

Edit: Clean install fixed it, however I am noticing that some textures, particularly the on the scene loading animation and the text in the launch dialog are of low resolution or high compression. The loading animation looked a lot nicer in 0.20.

Edited by ZRM

I thought I was going to like it; it really looked like they'd done a great job converting older saves across... All my ships were there, including the mothership I was so proud of building ready to carry re-usable Eve landers. But then I found I couldn't end the flight and swap to another without Alt-F4ing KSP entirely. So I tried loading the Munbase and Minmusbases I'd built in orbit, with their already attached and tested landers... Computer performance was worse than ever, and when disconnected from their parent station, Mechjeb was unable to control them at all. And then they'd teleport 50 foot or so back into the station and explode. Then I tried the original, working Lander/Rover combination that had been left on the Mun, from before the days of designing with Delta V in mind... it was a working, roving historical artefact, so ASAS problems shouldn't be an issue, all it had to do was rove around. But I noticed that rising up the new crater slopes, for some reason it wanted to constantly turn into the slope, and it nearly toppled over until I manually corrected it. So even that wasn't working really.

So. I was left with just being able to look at, but not use months worth of creations. And having to re-learn rocket design and go back to orbital flights, and then testing munshots and.... And wait for updates to Mapsat maybe so I have a target to go look at when I arrive. And most of the bugs being marked as [NoFix] on the forums in the meantime. And so my interest was just completely lost. I had a lot of fun messing around with the Alpha, but I think I'm done now, until the feature set is about complete... See you nearer v1.0 chaps.

So... let me make that long story short. You seem to have had a nice big savegame with lots of rockets and bases.. nice work.

In the first update news squad was about to completely break savegame compatibility and during testing this was changed the way that squad offered a savegame converter instead (thanks for that!).

The problem is that such a converter can never be completely include every possible scenario like, for example, the use of outdated mods.

Its not exactly Squads problem if things like Mechjeb dont work on release. Thats the way it was throughout all updates if i remember correctly. So why didnt you just do it like most of us do whenever an update comes and backup the savegame and then TEST to see what works and what not and wait in the meantime for fixes in the modding community. For me that worked pretty much.. So i hope you still got a backup somewhere. Wish you best of luck.

I think it's a nice update overall : it seems the games loads and runs smoother on my rather low end computer (2Gb and Windows XP), KSC by night is very cool and I find that Kerbin from orbit looks much better, mostly the mountains areas (the huge crater is soooo beautiful now).

I had time to send a probe to the Mun yesterday before going to bed so I could admire the new Mun craters. This was fun, the new craters make landing on the Mun a bit more challenging, requiring more attention while picking a landing site.

I guess I'll have to spend more time testing the new SAS before making my opinion about it, because I had a bit of trouble keeping my craft pointed to the manoeuvre node during the transmunar injection burn. I thought I had the design right (probe + inline sas + reaction wheels), but still had to manually correct it. Maybe some mistake I made in the design or really a bug, I don't know yet.

I like the update, KSP is cool and Mun is beautiful !

But I'm not able to flight a rocket, I'm still able to put them in orbit sometimes when they don't go spinning like crazy. I guess I have to learn again how to fly and how to design crafts, I spent the last evening trying things and learning new ASAS system. I guess I run out of battery or don't have enough spinning wheels, I will try again tonight !

Am I the only person that actually likes the new ASAS? It is so much better now. I haven't done extensive testing but it is making rockets wobble less and planes are much easier to fly. I don't see why everyone doesn't like it, it is a vast improvement in my opinion.

Second this statement. The new A/SAS system is a vast improvement over the previous iteration. Space Planes are much more tame, and my big rockets controlled just like they did in .20. I'm very pleased with .21 personally.

I had to revert back to a copy of .20 because the vab is basically unusable now. I know mods need to be updated, but come on here, what could possibly have been changed between .20 and .21 that would break simple part mods? I can't even place more than a few parts and adjust before VAB takes a crap and I can't do anything but drag my transparent incomplete rocket around.

I would have thought non-plugin parts should be fine.

Was disappointed mostly because the new awesome looking VAB is large enough to house a Saturn V sized launch vehicle and I can't build mine yet lol.

Edited by m1919

OMGZ NEW PARTS

OMGZ QUAD CONNNECTORS

I can't land on the mun. I ended up flipping completely upside down on final approach. My rockets which were slightly dodgy before, now need CONSTANT adjustment all the way up, and more aero surfaces.

I want old-style ASAS back, in part. At the very least, I want a 'lock to this heading and stay there' button.

This update, other than the "wimpy" ASAS, was okay. It mostly was just graphical changes: new space center, better looking Kerbin, new Mun, and I think Eve and Duna, too. I'd say the best part for me is that I can look at the ground on Kerbin and it won't lag, and I didn't have to edit the oceans.

For everyone who dislikes the new ASAS, you can just copy the ASAS parts from your 0.20 save (you made a backup, right?) and put it in the parts folder.

Theres some cool stuff but it lacked things that keep you playing for hours on end like what the other updates offered. It feels like .19 all over again... oh and the new ASAS, well that had so much hype and it turned out to be a complete let down (cant even keep you pointed in the right direction). To be completely honest i was a bit disappointed with the update :/

EDIT: I love the new Mun impact craters

Edited by RatBeer

I have not tested the new Update very intensly now, but i have not experienced much issues until now, only my test plane began to pitch down, when ever I roled or yawed, with ASAS active, but it flew pretty level

KSP seems to be loading faster, but i have not tested that so much

still have to test rockets, to see if they will wobble more or less now

I guess we have to wait and see if the experiences others made will be adressed as issues and fixed or if SQUAD comes up with something else

i personally like the way the ASAS works in my planes now, still i am not sure if I just happen to accidentaly build a plane that works quite well with the new system and i still have to encounter thse issues my self or if there is some other reason that the community seems to be divided into a group who have lots of issues and those who experience near to no issues

loving it so far, actually managed to land a plane for the first time ever in ksp!

i was able to land for the first time on the runway, pretty smoothly that is^^

but as i said, was my first test, have to wait until I am home from work to do more test with other planes and rockets

Terrain updates unfortunately caused some major performance drop on my notebook... on the other hand on my gaming PC KSP 0.21 works smoother than previous versions.

As for the new SAS - just add some kind of "hard lock" mode for it and tweak it more, nonetheless I'm happy because in most cases new system works quite nice for my designs.

...also SAS-Equipped probe cores would be nice. Crew pods have it, then why not probe cores? I hope this just oversight not a design choice (fortunately is easy to mod, just in case :P)

But in general I really like this update :) (just kinda shame I cannot longer play it comfortably on my notebook).

I also think that the new ASAS has been SO much better than the previous one. My planes are much easier to fly and rockets have less wobble. I also enjoy the realism of reaction wheels. It reminds me of the way that they operate the Hubble Telescope. It doesn't magically rotate. It uses physics and spinning wheels to rotate.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new SAS, i love being able to add reaction wheels where you can add more torque! best update i have seen since i got ksp (i got it in .18.4)
I HATE HATE HATE it... worst update I have seen. Strange how people are having different experiences lol

THIS is my issue. Its pretty obvious that the SAS is buggy/broken for almost every 1/4 people (taken from poll) and both still wobbles and doesnt keep a course. Its behaving NOTHING like C7's youtube preview for many of us!

However, the 3/4 that does not have any issues, just claims that the rest needs to adapt, and learn to fly again.. (This isnt aimed at you Rockhem, just an example:))

The SAS is broken/buggy for alot of us. I love the rest of 0.21.0 though.

Nice visual upgrade. :0.0:

Edited by Conzolax

A few of my thoughts after having gotten to the Mun in the new update:

I immediately noticed the game ran smoother on Kerbin when i took to the skies in a stock aeroplane.

The burning-red jet engines look great.

The craters on the Mun are spectacular.

A rocket which used to get me to the Mun and back with fuel to spare now barely had enough fuel for a one way journey there, which is kind of alarming.

The mountains near the space-center look like a Kerbalised version of Skyrim's mountains.

The Mun seems darker to me than it used to.

The space center looks great, and the night-time lighting there gave me my first glimpse of what lit up cities might look like on Kerbin's dark side.

I got a Kerbal recruit called Mitler, he was one letter away from not being allowed into the space-program.

The strange, intermittent sound-skip/mini-frame-skip is still there.

Orbiting the Mun is somewhat of a rougher affair for my PC as the game struggles a little more to render the new surface.

The Asas problems that some are mentioning have not affected me, it doesn't grip my rocket as hard as it used to (pardon the innuendo) but it's a smoother feel altogether and much better on the aeroplanes.

I really love the inside of the hitchhiker module, but it just makes me want to walk around inside it.

The game is still awesome, just more-so than before.

I love it, I dont have any big issues with new ASAS system - my planes are finally flying lol,

we got some very useful new parts (adapters, fuel tanks and engines), the new planet surfaces (I was on Mun and Duna so far) are very cool too.

New crew thing is nice too, but I`v already killed Bob Jeb and the other guy :( sand..

And of course new SC buildings are fantastic - thank you B9!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.