The new (and improved??????) SAS system.

Kerbol Prime

Is it better?  

1. 1. Is it better?

• YES IT WORKS GREAT!!!!
    • No it sucks

So now the SAS system has been overhauled. From what I've heard most people are not liking it. Why that's a problem.

One a side note, if you got any knowledge on the new system (how it works) do post because the new SAS/reaction wheel stuff can be confusing.

My interpretation:

-SAS module: has reaction wheels

-2.5 ASAS: has flight computer

-1.25 ASAS has both wheels and com.

So reaction wheels=torque.

just a guess.

Edited by Kerbol Prime

I like it. It's a great improvement. I haven't had the troubles others speak of. I think it's gonna take a while before people understand what it does and does not do.

In example, it would shock me none if many of the folks who can't get it to work are using it without power or without reaction wheels.

Then again, there could be a problem with it that I just haven't run in to yet. Time will tell.

TL;DR version: All we're working with at the moment are initial impressions. Let's play with it a day or so to get more familiar with it. Hystericism either way is not helpful.

I like it, it makes aeroplanes flyable with the keyboard and makes you actually fly your rockets. The people who are disappointed obviously didn't get the idea that the functionality and intended purpose of the stabilization mode are changing, not just its quality.

I haven't played with it much but I like it. So far I've only used it to launch a couple of satellites so that I can work on updating and testing my GPS mod.

I wonder, though, what the breakdown of MechJeb users is among those who think it is great or not? I.e. do a greater percentage of MechJebbers think the new ASAS is great? I just wonder if there's a correlation? Maybe there's an expectation of how it should fly based on how people are playing the game?

I like the idea of a compromise here. The temporary stability key no longer serves any purpose, so I'd propose it be repurposed to HCP (Hold Current Position) mode (ie. what ASAS used to be used for). This way the current implementation of SAS as what it's supposed to be (a stabilization system) will remain intact, while the desired feature of the previous version's SAS (keeping heading at all costs) will still be an option.

Once the aero guys stop clouding the issue with "it works great" comments, squad will realise that their current solution is broken.

Hopefully KSP rockets will be back soon, until then I am reverting to a working version.

Fine tuning on.

Begin gravity turn.

Tap W.

And then it happens, the ASAS does not like me. When I tapped it, and put fine tuning on, that was to make a slight adjustment. Not hold the heading when I'm pointing down.

The couple of different rockets I fired off earlier seemed to work ok just with the same ASAS unit from 0.20, I did notice that it's not nearly as forgiving now as it used to when it comes to slightly unbalanced rockets. I think there will be a period of getting used to the new system, how it works with our rockets and probably some degree of design tweaks too to take into account the newly reduced torque of the command modules and wotnot.

First impression was that it's ok, I managed to get into a 110k orbit of Kerbin with no more or less difficulty than I had before the update and set up a Minmus encounter / fly by. I'm going to play with it some more before I vote, though I don't care much for the wording / format of the two options, but I'm leaning towards "yes, it's better" right now.

Once the aero guys stop clouding the issue with "it works great" comments, squad will realise that their current solution is broken.

Hopefully KSP rockets will be back soon, until then I am reverting to a working version.

As an aero guy myself, I, too, think that the new ASAS causes more problems than it solves. I think the current ASAS should replace the old avionics package. We need the original ASAS back, wobble and shearing and all.

I don't use mechjeb at all and I'm enjoying the new system.

It's not lock on steady. It takes time to get it perfectly on the dot. It's not easy to do like it was before.

My advice, turn it off, maneuver into position, and turn it on. Once flipped on it wants to lock on because you haven't given it an input saying otherwise. Just remember to reset it when you want to move it.

I like it, it makes aeroplanes flyable with the keyboard and makes you actually fly your rockets. The people who are disappointed obviously didn't get the idea that the functionality and intended purpose of the stabilization mode are changing, not just its quality.

So can I have the old functionality back then? Because the new one isn't useful. If the "intended purpose" of the part is to let the rocket drift off course, and to make it roll spontaneously, the it's doing a fine freaking job...

I only tried it on a quick spaceplane build and it seemed to work well for that. It locked up the heading just nicely and seemed less wobbly/unstable than before.

I have no idea how it performs with large spaceplanes or rockets though.

I'm going to vote yes, but I'm only about a B+ on it. I like much it better than the old ASAS. I actually thought my RCS wasn't working on my first test launch, but it's just that easy on the hydrogen peroxide. That being said, it has a tendency to wander slightly when you change orientation and then settles down. I guess it's just an "I'm going to have to get used to it" thing. It's certainly an improvement over the RCS going haywire and the gimbals flopping all over the place.

To me, flying a rocket by hand is silly and unrealistic, most especially on launch, so I'm going back to MJ when it's updated, but I like it.

I'm not experiencing what everyone else says about constantly fiddling with WASD. Granted my test ship is pretty simple, only 71 parts. Launched fine with very little fiddling. It did start to roll like crazy right before the SRBs burned out, but settled down once they were gone. Seemed odd to me. Ended up in a 0 inclination 100K circular orbit with only minor corrections at apoapsis and periapsis. Here's my test ship:

M5SzPR1.jpg

Edited by DChurchill

I put together a few rockets and flew around in lko and did not have any performance problems or sas problems. Is it the smaller unmanned rockets people are flipping out under sas?

I think it's a bit daft people voting on something like this when the new version has only been out 5 minutes and they haven't learned how to use it yet. It's not going to give the best feedback to developers, imho.

I haven't played with it much but I like it. So far I've only used it to launch a couple of satellites so that I can work on updating and testing my GPS mod.

I wonder, though, what the breakdown of MechJeb users is among those who think it is great or not? I.e. do a greater percentage of MechJebbers think the new ASAS is great? I just wonder if there's a correlation? Maybe there's an expectation of how it should fly based on how people are playing the game?

Mechjeb does not need sas/ asas much but us mostly able to fly the rocket without. Noticed this myself on some probes and landers without asas/ sas, mechjeb handles them nice but without asas they will not lock in direction making an micro lander impossible to handle as any tap on wasd will have it spin.

Not tested 0.21 so this is 02 experience

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.