The new (and improved??????) SAS system.

Kerbol Prime

Is it better?  

1. 1. Is it better?

• YES IT WORKS GREAT!!!!
    • No it sucks

Well the chances of the problem being fixed are pretty slim at this point. The big angry thread was closed with the magical pronouncement by a mod that the "problem that many people were having has been solved"

Its not fixed, its been mitigated. Proclaiming its fixed won't get it fixed for real.

Better something than nothing. I feel like they just need to add more emphasis on locking the heading, without making it freak out like the old SAS, which I am 100 percent sure is easier said than done. All in all, I still like this SAS way better than the old one.

The idea is great on paper, having the SAS give priority to player input. But the implementation is relatively poor because the SAS now loses it's ability to keep a heading. When Squad solves that problem then we can say that this new SAS is clearly the superior device.

Until then, in a game where interplanetary and orbital burns require quite a lot of precision, the need of having a device that can an accurately hold a solid course outweighs the need of having user input adaptation.

Well the chances of the problem being fixed are pretty slim at this point. The big angry thread was closed with the magical pronouncement by a mod that the "problem that many people were having has been solved"

Its not fixed, its been mitigated. Proclaiming its fixed won't get it fixed for real.

The mod also said "and if not, please file a proper bug report on the tracker."

So I suggest anyone who is still having issue to fill out a bug report if you have not already. It's better to do that then to have to deal with all the "trolls" right? In plus this is Squad we are talking about here, of course they will fix it if there is something wrong with it. So no worries.

The mod also said "and if not, please file a proper bug report on the tracker."

So I suggest anyone who is still having issue to fill out a bug report if you have not already. It's better to do that then to have to deal with all the "trolls" right? In plus this is Squad we are talking about here, of course they will fix it if there is something wrong with it. So no worries.

Well the new version of my demo vid is uploading. 419 minutes estimated. Bloody 1080P. Good lord, is it really 9 minutes and change? My god. Maybe it was just the sheer nervousness (doing voiceover for the first time), but it didn't seem that long...

Well the new version of my demo vid is uploading. 419 minutes estimated. Bloody 1080P. Good lord, is it really 9 minutes and change? My god. Maybe it was just the sheer nervousness (doing voiceover for the first time), but it didn't seem that long...

What program did you use to record? It might be a very large file and it could be best to render it into a smaller format first.

Tiron, you missed the point of my gallery in the other thread. The maneuver node is not the focus of the issue, the fact that the craft is dipping because of the radial parachute, and the fact that the SAS does not attempt to return to the original heading until the burn is over, is the issue. You can see the craft dipping upwards if you compare either of the end images with the middle images.

The idea is great on paper, having the SAS give priority to player input. But the implementation is relatively poor because the SAS now loses it's ability to keep a heading. When Squad solves that problem then we can say that this new SAS is clearly the superior device.

Until then, in a game where interplanetary and orbital burns require quite a lot of precision, the need of having a device that can an accurately hold a solid course outweighs the need of having user input adaptation.

And this is really the nuts of the whole issue. Forgot the people who don't care about having to babysit for 3 minutes to orbit, or have to fiddle during a 2 second circularization burn. What are you supposed to do on a 5 minute burn to another planet? Fiddle and fight for 5 minutes to keep it sort of on the mark and then make a dozen more correction burns because it turns out that a few degrees off for a few seconds in space is ACTUALLY a big deal. Its the difference between an encounter and not, the difference between a PE of 50km and -50 or 500000. If you want to fly an elegant mission and use your delta V with caution this doesn't help, Id rather not bring up an extra tank of fuel for oopsies, thats not a good mission in my mind.

Its playable, yeah but its not what is intended. The is not a tedium simulator, I have Train Simulator 2013 for that.

And yes there is a work around, I am going to get the new MechJeb and let Smart A.S.S. drive for me, I do that a lot anyway on long burns as the mark would always drift over time since you can never be pinpoint on the mark manually over a long burn. But we should not have to mod to make it function the way it did 2 days ago for simple things.

What program did you use to record? It might be a very large file and it could be best to render it into a smaller format first.

MSI Afterburner. You're probably right but I'm new at this whole 'Making Videos' thing (this is the fourth I will have ever posted, and all but one of them to address very specific things), so I'm not really entirely good at it yet :P

MSI Afterburner. You're probably right but I'm new at this whole 'Making Videos' thing (this is the fourth I will have ever posted, and all but one of them to address very specific things), so I'm not really entirely good at it yet :P

I see, ya it's probably a large file size lol. If you have a video editing program, you can use it to render in a smaller size. If not, I would suggest you look into getting one if you are planning to continue making videos, makes the whole process much easier and you get better results as well.

I see, ya it's probably a large file size lol. If you have a video editing program, you can use it to render in a smaller size. If not, I would suggest you look into getting one if you are planning to continue making videos, makes the whole process much easier and you get better results as well.

Also, get a NAS or external HD to store your video sources. No one knows when you'll have to format your entire machine or have to re-render videos because of post render issues.

*snip*

I agree with this, however, all these "complaining" posts are useless - the devs have said that even after the first hotfix, they will keep working on the SAS system to make it even better.

Just hang in there, there will most likely be more hotfixes coming in the near future :)

Also, get a NAS or external HD to store your video sources. No one knows when you'll have to format your entire machine or have to re-render videos because of post render issues.

That's not happening, unfortunately. Fortunately, my area of expertise is...fixing computer problems, sooooo... And no, I don't really have any editing software. I'd glanced around at it a bit but not real seriously, because at this point I'm just dabbling slightly.

If anyone is interested I have found that this works very well.

67dac056-1e6a-4d16-9d30-b74060ddbb62.jpg

It is a rescale of the the inline reaction wheel. Factors of 0.5 and 2.0 work for the 0.625 and 2.5m parts, respectively. I also fiddled a bit with the node size and position, the mass, the torque values and the electrical requirement.

I think the best idea is for Squad to implement something like this and just get rid of the old ASAS modules, they are almost entirely redundant now. I can give out the .cfg file to anyone interested, just PM me.

I think the best idea is for Squad to implement something like this and just get rid of the old ASAS modules, they are almost entirely redundant now. I can give out the .cfg file to anyone interested, just PM me.

Almost? With every command providing part (I haven't checked the command chair) providing its own SAS capability, they ARE redundant, or at least their ability to add SAS functionality is.

Anyways, I'm very glad that they decided to add torque to the rockomax ASAS, as that makes a huge difference. This patch has fixed a lot of the problems I had with the SAS, though not nearly all of them.

After the 21.1 hotfix patch, first thing I did was bring my latest trainwreck of SSTO design up into a near-perfect orbit, zero hassle and smooth as can be.

screenshot0%20%282%29.png

(previous record height was "crater in nearest mountain")

With further refinements improving long burn accuracy, I'd say the new SAS is a winner. Yes, it does 'give' a little under stress, and yes it's a problem for long interplanetary transfers, but A) not nearly as game-breaking as what it did to stations and big ships previously, and B) entirely expectable to get fixed within the next update or two, as I'm sure most people understand the importance of that kind of accuracy. Not to mention C) possible to account and compensate for, ultimately.

At first I was surprised by the new SAS and I though it was not working. Then I tried to learn again the whole thing, do the basic stuff, etc. One minmus landing later I was able to use the new SAS fine, and I think it's ok the way it is now. It is a bit harder than before but much more confortable and use a lot less of propelant: fine !

Edit: and that was before the hotfix, now it's even better. Sorry for posting on this thread that has not any more reason to be

Edited by Koren

New SAS is working better after hotfix, in 0.21.0 SAS often couldn't counter rotation with asymmetrical trust.

SasStabilityTest1.png

Now, rocket above is deflecting around 10 degrees, but after ~3-4 seconds lag, SAS is started doing it's job and keep going perfectly straight (still need tap few times F key to keep it locked on course).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.