Am I the only one here who's extremely excited about the PSystem?

I don't know why, but this seems like one of the hugest code leaps since the ability to End Flight*. Don't you think it's amazing, though? I don't think I've seen this in any other games. Then again, I don't have much experience in games...

*Kerbaltastic Exaggeration

Thanks! It's very nice to see someone noticing our backend work, outside of a bug report. :)

It really was an insane amount of code reshuffling that we needed to do to make it happen... Verging on stupid almost, but I'm very glad we managed to pull it off, because now we have a much neater solution for elements that are shared between multiple scenes.

As for other similar systems. One game I know does something along these lines is ArmA. Once you load a map on it, that map will stay loaded until you exit the game or load a new map, even if you quit to the main menu (there are background cutscenes for each map). That cuts down on loading times while you're doing missions on the same map.

The same happens for KSP now with PSystem. We don't have discrete maps, but you'll notice that if you're just playing around Kerbin, especially near KSC, the transition time between the space center, VAB and launch is drastically reduced, because the terrain can just remain unmodified while we switch scenes now. We only have to rebuild now if you're returning from somewhere far away.

Cheers

Thanks! It's very nice to see someone noticing our backend work, outside of a bug report. :)

As for other similar systems. One game I know does something along these lines is ArmA. Once you load a map on it, that map will stay loaded until you exit the game or load a new map, even if you quit to the main menu (there are background cutscenes for each map). That cuts down on loading times while you're doing missions on the same map.

Cheers

While this is convenient, it does kill me a little inside while I wait for a giant map like that to load (especially on multiplayer).

Oh, and thanks for all the hard work you put into the game, HarvesteR. :)

It is useful. It could do with some sort of regular autosave though: being able to go back to quicksaves, or to five minutes ago, instead of just Launch of VAB (which have been the only options in my experience so far.

The PSystem is what made Kethane a head-scratcher to update, mainly because I don't fully understand what the changes did. It seems some scenes have been merged, but there are edge cases where objects still get deleted or where scenes are still cleared. If HarvesteR did a dev blog with details, it wouldn't go unnoticed!

Does the PSystem have something to do with that large-ish thing that looks like an orange window with data in it, that I see a brief flash of while I'm looking at a black screen and waiting for the scene change to complete?

I didn't even notice.

Is it also responsible for the closest approach markers for target craft appear WAY (and I mean, 2 minutes worth of orbiting time around kerbin) after the actual interception?

There I am, waiting for the closest approach, when I see the craft I intend on docking with go whizzing by me. Looking at the map view, the closest approach was supposed to be at 2.2km and a few minutes away!

On a positive note, I am pleased with this update. The Mun looks absolutely fantastic, too.

I was exicited when I read it in the notes....but right for me all scene transitions are much slower and sometimes end in a cpu stall , dunno if it's psystem or not, but It's ruining the purpose of psystem

Seeing how ARMA (II) was -and still is- known as a giant resource hog and for generally having abysmal performance (or simply refusing to work if you had a quad core cpu back when it was released). I dont think mentioning it as a role model was very advantageous.

Between the vastly increased loading times and the more noticeable "monsterframe" (µ-]stuttering every 2.5 seconds* i found myself playing almost no ksp at all after the update.

...sorry for image but spoilers don't seem to work.

56gdIJ7.png

I love the new Psystem! The coding is awesome! Its really nice to have everything all on the same page when it comes to the scene. Huge applause to moving ksp's old system to the new. I just wonder why there that black loading screen issue a lot of people are having.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.