[BUG DATA COLLECTION]: ASAS. Come in, fill out the form, let's give the devs data

Maybe add a question about xbox controller or joystick plugged in as well? Deadzones and all that.

Windows Vista 32 bit

4Gb...well, 3.25

No trouble

Kerbal engineer and subassembly thingy

Same

No controller or joystick

No problems.

That's a very good idea, but can I suggest something?

Try to add your .craft file as a link if you're in vanilla. This way, users with no issues and/or testers can try those on their installs and see if they can reproduce them.

This will hopefully help isolate a few cases or a common issue.

As for me, right now, no issues (Steam version, no mods, Win7 x64).

[Operating System]: Windows 8 (64 bit)

[Memory]: 8GB

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: Yes

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: None

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS individual attitude angles are not being held properly. For instance, SAS might be able to succesfully hold external torques which try pitch/yaw the ship by a certain amount, but if you try apply some roll, it might start drifting away.

[Operating System]: Windows 8 (64 bit)

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: No

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Much

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None (Steam Fresh install)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: N/A

[Operating System]: Windows XP

[Memory]: 1GB

[Joysticks]: None

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: N/A

Fresh download, fresh save, fresh crafts.

Edited by Chrisd857
add a bit

I right now have no access to my pc and ksp so i can not test my idea, but i saw a video that makes the engines seem to have little upforce pulling the nose of the rocketaway from the prograde marker in orbit.

My idea: has somebody tried to invert the engines in vab if use more than one.

For example: put one on normaly and rotate the other one by 180º. I think they schould cancel the forces of each other. One pulling up, one pushing down. Could somebody test that? 2 engines could make your rocket spin in this configuration. Maybe make it so, that one pulls left, the other one to the right.

I just want to add that the two test craft I have just made have all turned when SAS was off and under power in space, when SAS was on they fly straight and true, so that shows SAS is working for that purpose.

One of these was a very simple single engine ion craft which was perfectly symmetrical, the other a test vehicle with minimal inline components which flew straight up before testing in free fall, and in orbit, even after stilling the craft with x5 these two symmetrical craft would turn heading noticebly under acceleration from the ion engine and a T30.

Where this gets complicated is in atmosphere were atmospheric effects cause SAS heading to slip when it suspends all corrections during manual input.

Operating System: Windows 7

Memory: 16 GB

ASAS Trouble (Y/N): Yes

Mods installed, pre patch: Yes

Mods installed, post patch: No

Joysticks: None

Description of Problem: The SAS seems to have a tolerance of a few degrees, but nothing game-breaking is happening.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 64-bit

[Memory]: 6GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: FAR, Deadly Reentry, Engineer Redux, RCS Build Aid, Ioncross Life Support, Project Arcturus Thrust Corrector, Modular Fuel Tanks, Protracter, Chatterer, RemoteTech, Procedural Fairings

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None (completely clean Steam reinstall, deleted cfg file and everything)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: SAS does not use the full potential of the craft's control devices in order to maintain heading.

You must massively over-correct because the SAS (or the craft) swings back towards the original heading once you let go of the controls instead of accepting the new heading. Having it correct itself to the new heading would be perfectly fine behavior but it's as if the SAS simply doesn't want a new heading. Toggling the SAS (I thought not having to do that was a big feature of the new code) helps to put the rocket (or plane) onto the correct new heading.

Making small corrections in orbit is incredibly frustrating because the SAS wants to return to the original heading. Once again, if I twitch it using "F" or toggle it off and on again it accepts the new heading.

If the rocket is even slightly unbalanced, the SAS will only hold it on course to a certain degree; it will drift a bit until the SAS regains control and then remain at a slightly "off" heading until the burn is complete, at which point it will return to the original heading.

Edited by regex

[Operating System]: Windows 7 (64 bit)

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Nonel

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: A lot of ship designs with fairly standard setups are completely uncontrollable. I don't know if gimbal was limited, or what, but they;ll quickly nose over and impact the ground. This is with single orange tanks with 4 symetrical side orange tanks, all with mainsails. Adding controllable winglets help a little, but still unflyable (and they should be rock steady!)

[Operating System]: Windows 7 64-bit

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Yes

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Yes

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: The SAS does not apply maximum torque (Only very, very little) when trying to stabilize the craft, resulting in the ship spinning out of control. Doing anything requires constant input from me to keep the ship straight.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 (64bit)

[Memory]: 12GB RAM

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: No.

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Yes: Kerbal Alarm Clock, Protractor, Nyrath's Orion engine (not tested)

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Yes: (ditto)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: none

So far I've only tried a 0.20 import; behaviour of old designs changes a bit, but I"m not seeing the anomalies reported by some and find the new SAS works better for my designs than the old one.

-- Steve

Hmm, never mind. It may have been a strut placement issue.

I will say that in general, at least with just reaction wheels (maybe I moar?) the ASAS seems very "soft touch" and doesn't do a very good job of returning to the point it "should be set to". It seems more like a motion damper. You set it and it'll slowly dampen the motion back to zero. Downside is if you have active forces causing drift it doesn't seem to return to the original set point, or zero motion point if you hit the control buttons and then let go or zero motion after changing attitude.

It doesn't really allow the ship to be able to maintain center when under pretty much any thrust using only reaction control wheels (even light thrust) without manual intervention. Again, maybe it just takes a lot of torque input, but even a thrust of 20 with something like the station pods reaction control wheels cannot keep the ship on an even keel without manual intervention. However, there is enough torque to do the job on manual.

I like how it generally seems to act with both manual input and ASAS engaged and the "softer" touch when dampening motion, but I don't really like the fact that it'll easily wander from the set point without touching the controls and not return to the set point.

[Operating System]: Mac OSX 10.6.8

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: At a seemingly random point in most missions, crafts will begin to yaw, roll, or pitch (or a combination of the three) at varying degrees of force per incident. The indicators in the bottom left corner do not show force applied when no control buttons are being pressed while this is happening. Happens with or without an SAS/ASAS module attached, and activating SAS sometimes will counteract the effect.

[Operating System]: Mac OS X 10.8.4

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: STEAM INSTALL & UPDATE. Using SAS built into capsule. No problems flying rockets (hold heading nicely). In my opinion, planes are finally enjoyable to fly; also, no problems here. Will continue testing to see if I can find any combos that break it.

UPDATE: Added ASAS to rocket and things still work as expected

Edited by icaruza
Update

[Operating System]: Linux 64bit

[Memory]: 16GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Bunch

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None, completely deleted directory and did a steam reinstall, plus game verification

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: Vehicle just wanders around, with all control surfaces and gimbles in neutral. On the plus side the new reaction system is actually very powerful under use control, even large ships can easily be turned now (they just wander around without user input though).

[Operating System]: Windows 7

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Not applicable, fresh install

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: At low altitudes, (less than 5-6 km) and moderate velocities, (greater than 70-80 m/s) all non-stock aircraft that I've tested suffer from extreme wobble with ASAS activated. Above that altitude and below that velocity, they behave fine. I'm not sure if it's a bug, but ASAS will allow rockets to drift significantly from their headings. (Even when said rocket is both perfectly symmetrical and has an adequate combination of control surfaces, reaction wheels and RCS.) However, on smaller craft it seems to function extremely well, sometimes.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 (64 bit)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS is 'spongy' and tries to settle on velocity vector instead of selected heading; eventually ends up settling midway between old velocity vector, and desired heading, as velocity vector moves to catch up, and ASAS moves towards velocity vector, resulting in the 'snapback' people are describing.

Mine is identical except for that fact I have 12Mb of RAM. I tried it with more and less reaction wheels. I can't get it to lock on a specific heading without fiddling with control input. This is the ship I was testing with. It should have a ton of directional stability. Even then I can see the RCS fighting to keep it from moving toward the velocity vector. An absolutely fresh Steam install.

YsOzM4r.jpg

Edited by DChurchill

[Operating System]: Windows 8 64-bit

[Memory]: 32GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Sub Assembly Manager

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Sub Assembly Manager

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS functionality from .20 seems to be completely gone. Rockets will no longer hold heading or stop spinning. RCS thrusters no longer operate under module control to attempt to stop spin or maintain heading. Pressing control keys (ASDWQE) while module is active results in unmitigated motion in whichever direction input is given. It's basically like there is no ASAS module present at all, except R8 winglets look like they're constantly moving just like pre-.21 ASAS behavior. Haven't tried spaceplanes at all.

EDIT: I since have uninstalled and reinstalled KSP and put Sub Assembly Manager back in afterward. After this change, things seem to be working correctly. I also happened across a forum post that explained the new ASAS modules and how to use them. That was very helpful too.

Edited by XyA_DeathKnight

[Operating System]: Mac OS X 10.8.4

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: STEAM INSTALL & UPDATE. Using SAS built into capsule. No problems flying rockets (hold heading nicely). In my opinion, planes are finally enjoyable to fly; also, no problems here. Will continue testing to see if I can find any combos that break it.

UPDATE: Added ASAS to rocket and things still work as expected

Did more testing. I am only getting ASAS issues with the SMALL stock parts (ie Mk1 pod/RC001S etc).

[Operating System]: Windows 7

[Memory]: 16GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: MechJeb

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Old mechjeb -> None -> New mechjeb

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: Mostly noticeable with space planes, SAS on keeps vertical heading until you touch any tilt or turn key the nose starts to drop at once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.