Distance to Capsule determines Recovery cost in Campaign Mode

CAPSULES:

My suggestion is that after landing a capsule there is a cost to recover it in Campaign Mode, based on the distance to the capsule from the Spaceport.

BECAUSE: This would reward players for attempting to land as close to the Spaceport as possible!

Recovering the capsule not only returns the astronauts to the common pool, but also places the capsule back into inventory.

I would also suggest that the cost would be zero (free) if the capsule is less than 25km from the Spaceport (ie: we sent a truck to get it!).

(This could also later be worked into Kerbal Astronaut profiles, with awards like "25km Club" and "10km Club").

DEBRIS (Collect the Scrap Game):

Two different ideas here...

1. Debris recovery could be automatic, with intact (undamaged because of using parachutes) items being replaced into inventory.

Damaged items would return a scrap monetary value, based on a percentage of item cost, and distance of recovery.

Or...

2. This could be worked into the Space-plane end... where the player can retrieve the debris using airplanes, and get money for doing so!

This way, players running low on campaign funds could gather scrap to fund their next flight.

I recall hearing this being planned, almost word for word. Don't ask me where I heard it though. I think it was a KSPTV episode, but I'm not sure when it was. It will have to wait until there's a proper financial system though.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/550-Rethinking-the-way-flights-end

"That's not a complete solution however. The plan is to add an option to 'Recover' a vessel whenever possible. Recovering a vessel would return you some of its value, giving an incentive to build reusable vessels. Of course, recovering would only be possible for vessels landed or splashed down on Kerbin, and the value of the recovered vessel would vary based on how far from KSC it actually is. "

I was about to post this same exact idea, but used the forum search to see if it had been brought up yet. To expand on the above ideas, I was going to suggest to have retrieval fee when the craft is landed too far from the space center or a designated landing zone. You could encourage people to visit more locations if there were multiple recovery zones. The zones could be different sizes and landing in the smaller ones could give some kind of bonus points. Maybe something to do with achievements like landing in each of the recovery zones from orbit at least once each.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.