[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

KR-2L from ARM Update makes 3.75m engines absolutely worthless. They weigh more, their Isp is lower, their thrust is lower. This is pretty sad for me, actually - The Liitle Mother was my favourite second stage engine.

I haven't figured out why its doing it either.

So far, everything seems to be working with the ARM update. I feel pretty vindicated with respect to a lot of the accusations about my larger tanks and engines being "cheaty" now, as things match up rather nicely with the new stock parts (including the escape towers) - the new 3.75m engines are actually more powerful with better Isp ratings, so NP is actually more difficult.

I'll probably bring the NP engines in line with the new stock ones so they're about as efficient, and they should fill in some usability gaps. The tanks themselves are scaled against one another correctly and should be interchangeable.

Edited by Tiberion

So far, everything seems to be working with the ARM update. I feel pretty vindicated with respect to a lot of the accusations about my larger tanks and engines being "cheaty" now, as things match up rather nicely with the new stock parts (including the escape towers) - the new 3.75m engines are actually more powerful with better Isp ratings.

I'll probably make some tweaks to even it out and do some bug fixes, and adjust the tech tree placement a little as well.

I never once felt your parts were "cheaty". They are just bigger, and allow bigger payloads. Its all relative.

And im looking forward to an update :) Thank you.

I feel pretty vindicated with respect to a lot of the accusations about my larger tanks and engines being "cheaty" now

Cheaty? Before 0.23.5, NP was a "big engines, big payload, less parts" mod. Of course, that was "cheaty" for some stock-only zealots, but who listens to them? But ARM's KR-2L and KR-25 made NP (and KW, to lesser extent) redundant.

Oh, and BTW, I have a request - 5m engine that falls between Matriarch and Bearcat cluster, around 7500kN thrust. I love my mammoth rockets, but sometimes I like to build something in-between.

Edited by biohazard15

So far, everything seems to be working with the ARM update. I feel pretty vindicated with respect to a lot of the accusations about my larger tanks and engines being "cheaty" now, as things match up rather nicely with the new stock parts (including the escape towers) - the new 3.75m engines are actually more powerful with better Isp ratings, so NP is actually more difficult.

I'll probably bring the NP engines in line with the new stock ones so they're about as efficient, and they should fill in some usability gaps. The tanks themselves are scaled against one another correctly and should be interchangeable.

Please don't bring the NP parts in line with the stock parts. The stock 3.75m parts are WAY overpowered.

There is an obvious problem between some of your 3.75 and 5m parts and new rigid joints introduced in 0.23.5.

I've posted this in KJR thread:

ybhaDzk.jpg

aSk8AYX.jpg

If I swap your parts for stock SLS or KW, wobbling stops. According to ferram4, this happens due to incorrect size of attachment nodes.

Is that the NP 3.75m stack decoupler?

Go into: GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Decouplers\Decoupler_3_75m_stack

and change the stack nodes in part.cfg to be this:

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.19, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.19, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

Let me know if that helps. I'll have to go through and up the node sizes on a lot of the connection parts now.

Is that the NP 3.75m stack decoupler?

Go into: GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Decouplers\Decoupler_3_75m_stack

and change the stack nodes in part.cfg to be this:

// --- node definitions ---

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.19, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.19, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

Let me know if that helps. I'll have to go through and up the node sizes on a lot of the connection parts now.

I'm having issues also with the AA-BB Linear Decoupling Strut and the 5 mt decoupler.

i substitute the lines you suggested in the 5mt but the problem persist

Thanks

firysOx.png

zmAe2fF.png

9sfqiC4.png

Edited by edemlama

Alright, got a lot of work done today on some adjustments.

I did have to go through and add node sizes for most of the parts, and that eliminated the joint flex. There's no easy way to just release that, but I really hope to have the last of the changes done tomorrow and release a patch.

Tentative changes:

-Added proper node sizes

-Incorporated the previous hotfix for the VAB icon scaling

-Fixed tank collision on the 'short' and 'medium' tanks at all sizes, no more falling through the ground

-Slightly adjust engine thrust levels for 3.75m engines. Its NOT a balance change, as the Thrust:Mass ratios and staying the same, as is Isp scaling. So the engines won't be 1000 thrust below the new stock engines, but they'll still be tuned to be more realistic or in tune with the other stock parts.

I have not been able to replicate the NaN errors with KER or Mechjeb's readouts in the VAB using 0.23.5 and the latest available updates. I tried using the LES towers and the tanks that have more than one resource like odin's trunk. I also can't make the Odin trunk separate anymore with the new joints.

So if anyone can show me some specific steps to cause the errors, I can investigate further but don't expect a fix for them tomorrow.

Oh, and there were no changes to the joints for surface attachments like radial decouplers as far as I know, so you won't see any changes, more or less wobble than before. For heavy parts like boosters you'll still need a strut from the top of the booster to the main tank to stabilize it.

Oh, and there were no changes to the joints for surface attachments like radial decouplers as far as I know, so you won't see any changes, more or less wobble than before. For heavy parts like boosters you'll still need a strut from the top of the booster to the main tank to stabilize it.

Thanks for the hard work!!

I never had to use strut before for the solid boosters of this specific rocket, so something is definitely not working as suppose (might be KJR, but if that is the case it means the new version utterly sucks)

As you can see from the first picture the boosters are not straight even when off, that never happened before

thanks again can't wait for the final fix

Edited by edemlama

I have not been able to replicate the NaN errors with KER or Mechjeb's readouts in the VAB using 0.23.5 and the latest available updates. I tried using the LES towers and the tanks that have more than one resource like odin's trunk. I also can't make the Odin trunk separate anymore with the new joints.

AFAIK, this bug is caused by engines that have alternators (and have ElectricCharge as resource) and doesn't have that resource Tweak feature disabled (there should be isTweakable=false string in part.cfg).

AFAIK, this bug is caused by engines that have alternators (and have ElectricCharge as resource) and doesn't have that resource Tweak feature disabled (there should be isTweakable=false string in part.cfg).

I have this before and i remember if you adjust the electriccharge as well like change it to 1 then back to orginal would temp fix that. i'll try verify this later today.

I have this before and i remember if you adjust the electriccharge as well like change it to 1 then back to orginal would temp fix that. i'll try verify this later today.

Yes, that would fix that.

To fix this bug permanently, you'll need to add these two strings

isTweakable = false
hideFlow = true

to RESOURCE\ElectricCharge portion of part.cfg. This will a) disable EC tweaking in VAB\SPH and B) hide ElectricCharge generator gauge in right-click menu.

Hmm, I expect that affects almost every engine in the pack then. I'll make those changes tomorrow before I release. Oddly, the Launch towers don't have alternator modules or electric charge, so whatever issue was going in with them (I am not really sure - was it a different error, or an additional error?) must be a different thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.