[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

What do you mean, "licensing"? Aren't these parts basically open source, anyway? You make the plugin authors release their code as OSS, why are add-ons any different? All the meshes and cfgs and everything are being GIVEN away. That's the most asinine thing I've heard. If you want to take a break, that's fine. I don't fault you for wanting to take a break when point releases are breaking most mods within weeks of release. I don't fault you for maybe just wanting to do something else with your time. But why is licensing even part of the issue? I am incredibly confused.

It's a new forum rule: Nothing to do with Tiberion.

Apparently it's to protect peoples work, that all mods and plugins are licensed. But as far as I can see there was nothing wrong with the existing system where if someone wanted to license their stuff that's fine, but the majority are quite happy to have their work open source.

I don't think it's happened where anyone who wanted to protect their work but didn't create a license has had their work used without permission- if they know how to do collision meshes and .CS coding they know about licensing their work.

Complex issue huh? :)

Well the good news is that I've spoken with Sunday Punch, who is contacting Tiberion to give him permission to take over his parts. Happy days!

Edited by iffy

Why not, exactly? What's changed?

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Probably because of copyright, intelectual ownership, possible lawsuits and damages.

(@Mods - as the number of replies almost reaches 1000 posts, perhaps it is wise to start a new/second thread on the Novapunch Remix Pack and close this one)

(@Mods - as the number of replies almost reaches 1000 posts, perhaps it is wise to start a new/second thread on the Novapunch Remix Pack and close this one)

Having another Novapunch thread filling up with posts asking what happened and why the pack is unavailable would not be constructive, when Tiberion gets the authorization to redistribute this pack again (with valid licensing for all parts) he can start a brand new thread :)

That 1000 post restriction was due to the old forum software we used. Now that we have migrated to vBulletin which can handle topics with 1000+ posts without being a drain on the server we don't need to worry about that anymore.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Probably because of copyright, intelectual ownership, possible lawsuits and damages.

I'm pretty sure that the only copyright protection on any mods for this game are abstract and informal "Don't-claim-this-work-is-yours-when-it-isn't" internet guidelines.

The very nature of intellectual property like this is informality and as I understand it getting something formally registered under copyright protection with a government isn't exactly trivial and I can't imagine anyone doing such for a mod pack for an alpha game.

My previous question was, "What's changed"?

As Tiberion himself stated, he got by informally for quite a while. Why not anymore? He's given credit to the original authors; I can't imagine why the original authors of the parts would want to block the development of this.

Things changed because Squad does not have the time, manpower, or resources to contact every author that might post content. When an issue of "Hey that guy stole my work!" comes up, we need to be able to quickly check the license provided by the original author to see what is and isn't allowed.

Up until now, it was fine being an informal thing. Now that KSP has gotten fairly large and the modding community has grown as well, Squad has mandated that all mods include a license. What license used is left solely up to the authors discretion. It can be as simple as "You can do what you want with this" to something as detailed as GPL or CC.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Not really. Some models aren't the right size to interact with the new large vanilla bits, the rocket engines don't work because they haven't been updated to use the new model, and the fuel tanks use wrong fuel mass values.

You can use the structural items if you want, but you'll probably have to edit the .cfg on some of them:

rescaleFactor = <x>

where the default is 1.25.

The rocket engines work, they just don't use Isp.

Nothing really needs to be resized, the new 2m sized stock parts are not new if you've been using novapunch or KW which have both had 2m engines, fueltanks, RCS parts and SAS/ASAS parts since the start.

Short version is the pack is still incredibly useful if you want to build large heavy lift rockets.

You make it sound like they won't even fire.

Who cares anyway? It's not like the stock parts are correctly balanced in any form at the moment. And if you're not sitting there with a slide rule you'll never notice the difference between the Isp enabled engines and the older ones in this pack.

In fact, the newer Isp engines have slightly increased thrust to balance out the inefficiency while in atmos introduced with 0.16 when compared to the same ones in 0.15 (nerfed little lander engine notwithstanding). So they are 'balanced' with the older parts.

They work fine.

And if it bothers you, more the reason packs like this need to be kept updated by the nice guys like Tiberion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.