[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

KSP 0.19.1 (Linux version) crashing at startup with NovaPunch 1.5 beta installed.

My i5 and 16 GB of RAM should be plenty for even the huge amount of parts in this mod.

My Player.log: http://pastebin.com/aXgky8Zv

spacebison: the last line of your log is a Mehcjeb part: mumech_MechJeb1m

So whatever was the next folder to load (alphabetical order) could be the issue

Although, KSP is a 32bit program and can only assign so much memory, so even with 16GB the program can reach a max memory limit, and the easiest way to do that is to install a lot of parts.

The Windows version with the same mods and on the same machine runs just fine. The Linux version without NovaPunch or with just a few parts installed also runs fine.

So yeah. KSP might be running out of memory, but just on Linux. I'll try to install a lot of parts from other mods, if the problem persists it's not a NovaPunch issue.

See if it always crashes on the same mod part being loaded, and then find out what mod part is next alphabetically. It could be a NP depending on what you have installed (because N comes after M, so all the NP_ parts will load next)

But other people run NP on Linux and I even test it here locally as well, so its not a direct compatibility but a specific issue with your system interacting with something. The more info you provide, the better chance we can figure it out.

I would like to add in a few thoughts to this (in no particular order).

1: KSP is a 32 bit application, it can only handle about 3.5GB tops before it will hit its limit on a 64 bit OS (with a 32 bit OS having its own limit of 2GB for any single program, at least on Windows).

2: mumech_MechJeb1m is #2 of 10 parts in MechJeb, so 8 other MechJeb parts would follow if loading in alphabetical order. Next up in line would be likely mumech_MechJebAR202. I can't help but think that sticks out for me for some reason.

3: Number of parts probably is not as much of an impact as the complexity and details of the parts.

Nova Punch has around 185 parts, and takes up around 242 MB (235 MB parts alone) of HDD space. That's actually not that much...

KW Rocketry (0.2.2) has 67 parts, but takes up 409 MB (and 0.5 MB not of parts) of HDD space.

Kosmos_SSPP_R4.2 has only 38 parts, and takes up 329 MB (304 MB parts alone) of HDD space.

Toss in the present version of KSP having troubles properly clearing stuff from memory during scene changes... I wonder if KSP is still loading 'everything' on startup, just to 'unload' unneeded stuff when loading the 'main menu' scene. If so, it might mean the 'crash on startup due too having to many parts' is still possible.

4:

@ spacebison

Are graphics settings set differently on the Windows and Linux versions of KSP? Like if the Windows version is running with lower settings for Texture resolution than the Linux version? Just how many parts do you have? How much HDD space does your Parts folder take up?

About the laggy legs.

Something I am going to try the next time I start up KSP (if I remember to try it anyways). Setup the lander in question in the VAB. Remove the stuff attached to the bottom of the lander command module and drop it off to the side. Click the lander command module to pick it up, then click again to drop it. What I am looking for to see if the lander command module 'sticks' to the cursor. Why? It is a sign the issue might be related to something clipping into something else.

Edit:

I started up KSP and did a little testing.

Thor Lander test

Major lag the moment the lander loaded.

Tried the test, the issue I was looking for did not pop up.

However, I could not re-attach the lower part of the lander back to the lander command pod.

Second test. Scratch built design.

Default command pod (3 man version), parachute on top, 2.5m decoupler on bottom, 'tuna can' fuel tank.

Minor lag with Thor lander leg selected. More lag with 4 in place. Removed and dumped them, lag went away. Placed another set, lag returned. Dropped it off to the side, lag remained. Reattached in 4 symmetry, then attached another group of 4, and lag increased even more. Removed and dumped one set. First set detached, symmetry reset to single, reattached. Removed 'tuna can'. Picked up command pod (decoupler still attached to it), 'command pod stuck to cursor' glitch hits.

Third test, same as second. Command pod didn't stick to cursor, but at one point the fuel tank/legs bit went red when I tried to reattach and it would not reattach, and that bit stuck to the cursor, and I could not drop it, but I was was able to dump it on the parts menu.

So, my guess is there is some serious clipping issue going on within the Thor lander legs themselves.

I had some 'null' errors, but figured out those are caused by something else (even placing stock parts caused the null errors, probably plugin based)

Edited by rditto48801
extra info added

Nova Keeps crashing the game i dont know why :(

Other info that could help figure out the problem.

Your system specs (OS, CPU, RAM, Video Card, etc)

Do you have any other mods/plugins installed?

Edited by rditto48801
error fix

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

i have an issue, when i use nova parts. after a certain time the control of the vehicle is impossible.

no input from Keyboard is acceptet and right click on parts works only on fuel tanks.

i cant tell if this is a Nova issue or ksp related, because i had this once in while with the game before i used Nova parts, but it was very seldom.

but with Nova parts the issue alway occurs.

has anyone the same experience ?

but anyway the Nova parts are an awesome collection of badly needed parts. great work guys

cu in space

Hi all,

i have an issue, when i use nova parts. after a certain time the control of the vehicle is impossible.

no input from Keyboard is acceptet and right click on parts works only on fuel tanks.

i cant tell if this is a Nova issue or ksp related, because i had this once in while with the game before i used Nova parts, but it was very seldom.

but with Nova parts the issue alway occurs.

has anyone the same experience ?

but anyway the Nova parts are an awesome collection of badly needed parts. great work guys

cu in space

Are you flying unmanned probes? If so they require persistent electrical supply to function.

Are you flying unmanned probes? If so they require persistent electrical supply to function.

You're also not strapping Remote Tech stuff to your unmanned pods right? That causes them to become inoperable if the signal is lost even if you're only carrying the RT satellite as cargo attached to a decoupler...I know it has a built-in one itself but the cargo somehow becoming something the command interface factor in driving your satellite deployment system is really annoying. (I found that out after my Dragon drone pod wasn't staging or stabilizing much to my annoyance)

Its a great pack but I would prefer it if the historical rpckets Gemini and Mercury etc weren't in it as I always remove them, plus the 3.18m size rocket parts which are of limited value. Although I love the look of the Gemini and Mercury rockets for some reason I have not been interested in recreating historical rockets in KSP, dont know why. Perhaps because its so much more fun making your own.

What are the chances of getting NovaPunch split up into smaller packages?

Like nats, I'm not particularly interested in the historical bits. Also, I'd kinda like to simply (key word simple) be able to install, say, JUST the fairings, or JUST the engines, or any combination thereof, rather than try to sift through this massive parts-pack to pull out only the parts I am interested in, and then hope I actually got all the bits that each part requires to function properly.

As it is, I can't run NovaPunch because I consistently get a game-crash every time when going to the launch pad. I know it's NovaPunch because I use JSGME to install my mods, and it's only when I install NovaPunch that the game crashes.

Big changes are coming, but not before the KSp 0.20 changes to the mod formats, because doing things now would be wasted effort.

Right now, we're quietly/slowly working on some art/design stuff rather than technical changes.

As for smaller packages, its been discussed but its feasible because no matter how I break it up, the package will have things person X uses and person Y does not, and vice-versa. We'll see how the mod loading improves with the 0.2 changes. Note that the Gemini parts are already "separate" in their own release and will not appear in future NP releases.

I just got the latest version, I had the older one from idunnowhen, and it's improved! I especially like the IVA of the Gemini capsule, that really added some immersion for me. I was going to reload the Jool V pack (I ended up totally redoing my install), but I found that the boosters, engines and cores that come with this modpack, I can get quite a lot of mass up into Kerbin orbit! Looking forward to seeing what's in store with 0.20...

^ Ah, separate parts. Awesome-sauce.

Edited by pvtnum11

Looking forward to the new version. Hoping changes in KSP allow me to use it.

RE: Breaking it up. All I mean is breaking into distinct categories, like fairings, engines, capsules, etc etc .. not removing stuff some people don't want because, as you correctly pointed out, there's no way to make everyone happy doing that. BUT, to have separate component packages sure would make it easier for people to install only what they want, no?

I have to admit, that I've stopped using any part addons except MechJeb since 0.17 I guess... I used to use this pack A LOT and now I'm starting to miss the gorgeous looks of your rockets, so I think I'll install it once again as the 0.20 and the new version of NPRP comes out :)

P.S.: As far as I can see from those screenshots, you've made a whole lot of work on redoing those models and textures... it WAS awesome but now... man... it's just totally insanely gorgeous :) great job guys, keep on making great stuff like this, you've earned my respect ;)

Are there 10m fueltanks in this mod?

Largest fueltank I'm aware of in any mod is 6.25m, and I can't remember if that's in NovaPunch or KW Rocketry. Definitely one or the other.

there were previously 6.25m tanks in NovaPunch, but they were removed a couple of releases ago; parts that large with anything close to accurate masses and such simply break the game's physics engine and won't work.

there were previously 6.25m tanks in NovaPunch, but they were removed a couple of releases ago; parts that large with anything close to accurate masses and such simply break the game's physics engine and won't work.

Can I build anything close to the Saturn V, N1 or SLS (in terms of launch capabilities and looks, not size)

Edited by erkha343

Can I build anything close to the Saturn V, N1 or SLS (in terms of launch capabilities and looks, not size)

If you are looking for a Saturn V replica with the same capabilities, ther is one in the spaceport. (Dont know link and spaceport is down)

If you are looking for an SLS replica with the same capabilities i made this one a few days ago. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29992-Space-Launch-System-block-1

But an N1 is 1 I haven't seen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.