[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

That's because on a 32 bit machine, the available address space is limited, as graphics memory and the PCI bus uses some, so even if you have 4 GB memory, you usually get below 3 GB usable.

On a 64 bit machine, each process gets its own address space, and that problem disappears.

All this, of course, assumes Windows. A Linux 32 bit machine handles up to 64 GB (iirc) without problem. It's an OS limitation in Windows, not a hardware limitation.

Not sure, the computer also have to be able to handle more than 4GB memory. Even if the pentium series of cpu was capable the chipset also need to support more than 4GB. For pces 64bit cpu become common before the 4GB limit became an problem for anybody.

As I understand some windows server version was able to use more than 4Gb in 32bit on some systems.

Windows 2003 server had an 64 bit version.

For normal users the transfer to 64 bit was delayed as vista flopped so most stayed with 32 bit windows xp until 7 become common.

Guess games stayed 32 bit as most are multiplatform and many still uses 32 bit windows xp, however its time to go 64 bit.

With the next console generation I guess all pc games will be 64 bit anyway.

While this info is helpful there is little the NovaPunch mod can do about the memory limitations of Unity, KSP or its operating system. Lets try and keep the conversations on the topic of NovaPunch, and not hardware and operating systems. Please keep those discussions in their appropriate threads.

I wouldn't call it off topic. Novapunch is a large pack. There are lots of parts. My suggestion for users is to remove all those they seldom use. For instance I delete all the spaceplane junk that doesn't interest me. Then go struts and similar bits that are common between mod sets. Then the lander stuff. I use the CORE/Anvil fairings, so all the fairings also go. In the end I mostly keep the engines and fuel tanks. Doing so cuts novapunch down by 50+ percent, decreasing load times and VAB clutter.

Now if I were a developer sick of dealing with windows/unity memory complaints (less of an issue with linux) I would consider splitting such a large mod into 'core' and 'expanded' parts lists. Or not. I'd still be cut parts regardless.

Edited by Sandworm

It is a 'must have mod' to me for the stack parachutes, escape towers and mini decouplers . I don't like radial chutes on capsules and I can place an escape tower atop a docking port on a stack parachute with no conflict to either part operating just like historical craft. I would love to use the fairings but till they actually help the aerodynamics I leave them alone to keep part count and clutter removal down.

for some weird reason, when I add this plugin, my KSP seems to crash to desktop as it loads. Removing the pplugin seems to clear the issue up.

Me too! Crashes out of the program into the desktop. Only difference was installing this MOD.

ALSO

IF I was able to get to the launchpad, my Kerbal (Bottom Right side of screen) was misssing. Only a square box with white or whacked colors.

In case "your" curious,

Windows 7, 64 bit. 8Gb RAM. (Task Manager claims I'm only using 5.8 during KSP)

TB

Edited by TBryson2

Awesome parts - I love the engine noises. Finally my rockets sound as beastly as they look :P

Also noticed that the smallest (1.25m I think) RCS tank also had the wrong mass - at 3.06t. Not sure was it was supposed to be, but much lighter I assume. Other than that and a few mysterious floating tanks, no crashes for me, everything has worked well so far.

Thanks!

OK, very odd issue going on. If I use the 2.5m fairings (pair of walls and nose cone) and decouple them in a sub-orbital trajectory I repeatedly get the nullreferenceexception error when KSP tries to unload them from the scene. It may only happen when I or Mechjeb speed up time, but it's very time consuming to check as I have to restart the game every time it happens. Took me 2 hours to narrow it down to the NP fairings. I've tried the same ship without the fairings and it's fine.

However, I'm also using RemoteTech, MechJeb 2, Ioncross (though not actually on this ship) and Deadly Re-Entry so it may be some sort of conflict with them, though I did get the same issue when I tried removing DRE. Will try without some of the other mods as time allows, but just wanted to make people aware of the issue.

Try the same ship without the other mods on it - the fairings are simple models with only the decoupler module in the config, so there is almost no way they could generate a nullRef error on their own; once you find out what mod they might be conflicting with, I can perhaps investigate it further.

re: memory issues/splitting the mod - Its just a limit of the game right now; if your system can't handle the whole pack you'll have to pick what you want. There's no way I can reasonably split the downloads because if I asked 20 of you what you use, I'd get 20 different answers. The parts are already in subfolders, so you can grab what you want. The download is actually pretty small right now anyway due to the down-sized texture resolutions.

I have NP 2.01 almost ready for release with the new pieces Frizzank finished and a few bugfixes. Sometime today probably.

Edit: And NovaPunch just passed 100,000 downloads on Spaceport. Pretty cool. :)

Edited by Tiberion

Packing went quicker than anticipated. NovaPunch 2.01 is release on Spaceport and the Mediafire mirror in the 1st post. :D

ZSRjUW3.jpg

I must say, I am pleased how well the mod looks now, even without the engine updates in place. Make sure to give Frizzank the props he deserves.

Changelog for 2.01:

------------------------

New models for the size-changing adapter tank parts

New models for the 2.5 Orbital Bertha engine

Updated animations to fix the leg in the new deployable legs. It should no longer cause the game to grind to a halt.

New clone of the Thor2 legs in probe size.

New models for the ASAS/SAS modules (temporary until 0.21 where they will serve as the reaction wheels model)

Bugfix: Radial stack coupler attachment fixed

Bugfix: 2.5m x 3m Fuel tank now actually loads into the game. Oops.

Fixed the improper weight/fuel load in the 1.25m RCS tank.

As always, report bugs and changes in the performance issues you find.

Edited by Tiberion

If you haven't checked it out , Procedural Fairings plugin works amazingly well, and will probably make it unnecessary for me to ever have to model another fairing again.

So if your having memory issues and want to cut out some parts, delete the files in the fairings folder in NP except for the Fairings_ExpBolt (isnt really a fairing, its a decoupler) and install the Procedural Fairings mod. That should cut out about 23 parts, and gives you awesome fairings in return.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39512-0-20-2-Procedural-Fairings-1-1-now-with-conic-ones-as-well

HfaPBLcl.jpg

Nice work guys, this has quickly (I mean very quickly) become my number 1 parts pack. Damn I love them engine noises. Downloading 2.1 now and deleting fairing parts as frizzank suggests (everywhere, not just in NP) :D

Might want to keep the 3.125m fairings too, since they have the open-topped flange piece that goes with the pod so you can still use escape towers. And of course remember when deleting things that the included craft will not always function, so edit those before the deletion :)

dang it! i have to get this pack. Im going to lose so many hours of designed craft with KW. Bc at the time it was the only pack that worked with .20 they even closed/locked kw thread. This pack with B9 makes an great combination. Thank you guys for your hard work and dedication. It appreciated by everyone in the community.

Edited by viperwolf

Might want to keep the 3.125m fairings too, since they have the open-topped flange piece that goes with the pod so you can still use escape towers. And of course remember when deleting things that the included craft will not always function, so edit those before the deletion :)

Yes I should have said just the fairings but, if you can keep everything please do, I know I do. I just redid the fairing attachment plates so it kind of sucks if every one is just deleting them, but I understand KSP not working at all takes precedent.

Also more revamed engines are cumming down the pipe besides the Bertha.

About those, wouldn't it be possible to get them to 3.75m? The 3.125m parts basically don't fit anywhere, and I love the idea of those fairing parts, they allow for great Apollo style launchers, but they're just really hard to use :l

Damn, Nova punch has come a long way. I used it back when the game used the original capsule. Those giant fuel tanks helped me build a solar-fly-by rocket.

I can't wait for this to reach completion, keep up the great work guys!

possibilities are endless with this pack now, from simple satellite launches , to manned missions, to manned Eeloo landings, so far ive followed realworld rocket designs and have been able to get anywhere, not easily but the potential for a full on Manley style reusable space program is there as well

What do you guys do to compensate for the wobble effect of large tanks and engines. im trying to build a 5m launcher and the tank and engine is all over the place. i wish the things would connect and stay solid.

Add rudders to the bottom of your rocket, and turn off rocket engine gimble, will reduce it tones. Also a lot of struts.

Its the height and number of connections thats causing the wobble. Shorter rockets with less stages will wobble significantly less as well.

In .21 they are updating the way SAS works, so that will be the biggest help when it comes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.