[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I've had NovaPunch since .20 without any issues. But since going to .22, I deleted the old version and installed the new version. No dice, freezes during load. Deleted all my mods and started fresh, still no dice with NovaPunch (or any mod other than FASA) in .22.

I have the same problem. Does someone know how to fix this? Are more people having this issue?

Do a quick test and remove the Engines folder and then try to start KSP. If it loads then your computer is running out of memory when loading the parts (.22 has bigger memory requirements)

If so, then you can grab the texture reduction pack, which shrinks the textures in the pack: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55114-NovaPunch-2-03a-Texture-Reduction-Pack-%28Extreme%29?highlight=Novapunch

wasmic: Next thing is a a revamp of the solid boosters so they're a 'set' (but maintain their functions) and finishing the last coupe of engines that need graphics updates. I'm also working on some preliminary designs for a new capsule/lander system, and frizzank had an idea for something cool that we won't discuss yet.

Hey Tiberion, you might find this useful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvHneDAy4k99dHlhdktvZW1NS1lndlhNNnRwd3FEblE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

It's the sheet we use to balance things in MFS. It'll let you easily see casing % weight for your SRBs, give suggested heat values (multiply by 2 for stock KSP), and it already has the NovaPunch SRBs inputted. Note that the mass and thrust on a couple are a bit off what stats you have (bold = changed value), but I'm not suggesting you change things, just saying this might help you balance them.

Heck, you can use it for engines too. See the docs page for details. This was built for MFSC, but no reason it might not be of help to you now.

does anyone have issues with the 3-man escape tower attached to a docking port? releasing the tower has been causing my docking port to break free from the command pod.

This has only started happening in 0.22

I have the action group highlighting only the escape tower and selecting activate engine and decouple. this assembly is a MK1-2 ->docking port -> escape tower.

I do have kerbaljointreinforcement V1.0 installed as well, might try upgrading it, or testing without the mod.

Edited by cxg2827

Sounds like the joint mod isn't releasing the decoupler/docking node joint (it may be a special case) and is getting ripped off by the ejection force. As long as you don't turn it down so much that it won't separate from the rocket under acceleration, should be okay.

Oh and thanks for the spreadsheet, I'll look it over when we start crunching numbers.

Tiberion: I was getting that problem months ago, long before KJR and anything else. A decoupler force of 2000 is liable to pull off whatever the decoupler is attached to, and possibly even the thing below that. Took me ages to figure out just going back below 500 or so was what was required.

KJR might actually _solve_ the problem, eventually, dunno. The other thing might be making sure that a part's breakingForce is higher than the decouple force?

And you're welcome; let me know if it's unclear or you need it tweaked for your use.

I've been meaning to ask if you intend to put in an style inline 5m 5-engine block that can be used as a second stage ala Saturn V SII Stage engines (J-2 x5)? IT'd knock the part count on a large rocket down a bit, I think :)

According to Wikipedia, the J-2 second stage of Saturn V ignited at 42miles which isn't in vacuum. I dunno if that has any bearing on matters? I'm guessing, tho, in KSP you'd be nearly out fo the atmosphere by the time you ignited it, unless you were carrying some SERIOUS payload.

According to Wikipedia, the J-2 second stage of Saturn V ignited at 42miles which isn't in vacuum. I dunno if that has any bearing on matters? I'm guessing, tho, in KSP you'd be nearly out fo the atmosphere by the time you ignited it, unless you were carrying some SERIOUS payload.

Even though 42 kilometers isn't in vacuum, it is high enough that you'd die without a pressure suit, even if you had oxygen with you. It's also too high for any vehicles requiring atmospheric lift to operate.

42 miles _is_ Kerbin's Karman line, actually, or near enough. Even if you scale 42 miles (67.6km) to Kerbin altitude--45km--it'll still be 99.99% vacuum (literally, 0.0001 pressure). You still get drag, but it shouldn't make a difference for exhaust expansion, and thus you'd want a vacuum-optimized nozzle. (Though the J-2 didn't even have fully vacuum-optimized nozzle; it still got 200s at sea level.)

The newly updated Nova Punch mods have been upgraded with several new engine types including some compact Nuclear powered ones. The mods will also integrate in a logical manner into career Mode.

Now, for those already into Career Mode, no problem. The parts will not be available for use until you do the science research on them. For new careers, they will be imminently available on the parts tree in a logical order. If you don't want to use them, as they will give you quite an advantage right away, you can always make them unavailable by moving the mod folder out of the KSP game folder.

Here are some screen shots of what is possible.

Nova Punch One in the first flight of Career Mode

ml3EnxY.jpg

Nova Punch Two in the first unlocked tier of Career Mode. Note, this can achieve low 70K orbit but may leave Jeb stranded if you are not careful.

HzAqKbU.jpg

Some new designs, a SSTO launch vehicle with the new mini four engine. It was SSTO;

iAl0i96.jpg

And, a NERVA powered interplanetary design with a near SSTO first stage. (Brace well.)

zCjw17M.jpg

A very small burn from the NERVA completed the 100k orbit.

n1GO38o.jpg

Note, if you update with the 0.22 release of Nova Punch, expect some older designs to not load or work properly.

Edited by SRV Ron

Hey Tiberion, is there any chance of getting the ares-style 5m engine back? It was really cool. Oh, and some feedback on the tech tree integration: the 2.5m engines appear VERY early in the game. Like, before the stock poodle does.

Maybe, we'll see what can be done, lots of things to add, not much time. I would like a SLS engine and perhaps a J-2 2nd stage (though the matriarch serves that purpose pretty well)

Really couldn't help having the 2.5m stuff show up earlier, if I did it at the same time as stock, then almost all of the big parts would have been in the final tier, which means most of Novapunch was skipped for the whole tech tree. I am pretty satisfied with how its set up, the amount of parts in NP ramps up the part count faster, but its still gradual, and I can't help where the stock parts are.

Maybe, we'll see what can be done, lots of things to add, not much time. I would like a SLS engine and perhaps a J-2 2nd stage (though the matriarch serves that purpose pretty well)

Yes, the Matriarch does serve the technical purpose, but it does not serve the Aesthetic purpose. I think people just want to make more Saturn V reminiscent rockets, and the Matriarch is more reminiscent of the Soviet N1. This is purely aesthetic reasoning, so not a major issue :P Keep up the good work.

Why with Nova installed some of stock parts are gone invisible, and are making game crash

i din't find it in post (too much to read all)

How many mods/addons do you have installed? If you install too many parts, KSP will run out of memory. You can fix this by either deleting the parts that you don't use, or going to settings -> graphics and set the texture resolution to half res.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.