[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

There is a '2m Fairing Plate' in the 3rd tab, it goes at the bottom of the stack you want to put inside (you probably need a decoupler just above it)

The plate has 4 of the small red 'nodes' which allow you to attach the fairing panel in 4x symmetry mode, making one ring of panels. You can stack 4 more on top of the 1st, and the nose cones also attach the same way.

There is a '2m Fairing Plate' in the 3rd tab, it goes at the bottom of the stack you want to put inside (you probably need a decoupler just above it)

The plate has 4 of the small red 'nodes' which allow you to attach the fairing panel in 4x symmetry mode, making one ring of panels. You can stack 4 more on top of the 1st, and the nose cones also attach the same way.

[/quote

Oh ok. Thanks! :D]

So.. how about that .14, huh?

So far most things seem to work okay; a lot of the decouplers are weak as a kitten now, so I\'ll be adjusting those as needed (including the payload fairings)

The other short term goal is the lander legs of course. I have to say, even the default lander legs are full of awesome on the new lander:

pCN3c.png

tJYCi.jpg

Longer term goals will be integrating some plugins to expand part capabilities (I would love to see someone implement a better partClass for the interstage fairings and shrouds) - My programming skills are extremely out of date, so its unknown if I\'ll come up with anything on my own yet, We shall see.

I am also happy to announce that I have heard back from Captainslug, and I have permission to incorporate and update the parts in his Assorted Hardware pack, unofficially making this NovaSlugPunch :)

I at least want to bring in the other sizes of payload fairings and the explosive-bolt decoupler, as well as they radial booster and spin booster parts. I also like the radial parachute, and I am sure we can do something cool with that old solar panel part now :)

Lots to do, lots to do.

As always, report any issues you have found in th

Congratulations on getting approval to do the Captain Slug update. Those are some of my favorite parts, and it\'s been sad seeing them languish while the game engine advances. I know all too well that the original authors often are unable for all variety of real-life reasons to perpetually maintain their volunteer efforts at user generated content, so it\'s reassuring that some great bits and pieces are being handed off to a responsible party.

I have a little idea: do you think it\'s possible to put an attachment node on the bottom of the foot of one of those folding lander legs? That would be useful for a lot of things…

Not currently, the animation is rudimentary, and the engine only recognizes the main collider mesh (which covers the non-moving hinge part) as something to connect to. The leg has a separate collider mesh which is rotated with the leg mesh, and only seems to function as collision dectection (with the ground to land, or other parts, etc)

It will take more updates to the VAB attachment code to better support multiple collider meshes.

I think anyway.

With the new lander, I had only the stackable parachute and the command module for reentry, which then surprised me by exploding on landing, thus killing my first persistent crew to reach the Moon and back. Is this a known issue?

Nevertheless, thank you for the new lander parts, they are fantastic!

With the new lander, I had only the stackable parachute and the command module for reentry, which then surprised me by exploding on landing, thus killing my first persistent crew to reach the Moon and back. Is this a known issue?

Hmm, I just tested it with capsule and parachute, it landed @ 12.5m/s and didn\'t explode. Any idea what speed you landed at?

I did notice that the bottom node is still messed up, I guess my changes got rolled back before I released somehow.

I\'ll turn up the crash tolerance a bit and adjust the connection nodes so you can attach something besides the matching ASAS unit if you wish. Thanks for the report, and sorry about your mission :)

Do you have an older version of NP? I do, and I had to change my parachute drag from 55 to 70 due to some changes in terrain/impact calculations that would occasionally kill a crew at just-below-\'safe\' speed. I don\'t know whether Tiberion changed the parachute drag in a later update because I think I\'m still on 0.7.

Also make sure you weren\'t in 2x warp. That\'s a death sentence for your brave Kerbals.

Yeah I wish we could make them telescoping, instead of rotating. Not yet, unfortunately.

I have the old SE legs (the current smallish ones) working already. Wasn\'t hard, since Nova already had them set up just like the ones in 0.14. just some small changes were required. Nova thinks ahead :)

Actually took a little longer to make the legs work than I thought;

You need to make sure that the legCollider node is pretty tall on the UP axis, otherwise the little bit of clipping the game allows will let your collider origin pass the surface, which makes the leg collision fail and your ship falls over.

Anyway, both are working now, and (just barely) fit inside a 2m fairing folded up:

Bxakm.png

I am indeed; working on the 1.75, 2m and 3m payload fairings right now; the baseplates now have the nodes directly on them, no more need for the explosive bolt. Working on getting them ejecting properly right now.

I can hopefully keep the Exp Bolt functional, so you can slap them on something and attach fairings wherever you want; not sure about that yet.

That leaves me with the current 2m panels that Sundaypunch made. They come in 4 pieces instead of the halves that Slug did, and have no half-walls; in the end they\'re just not as goods so I think I\'ll use Slug\'s as the 2m fairings.

I am pondering changing the Sundaypunch fairings into either 1m or 1.5m pieces for upper stage shrouding. Any preferences?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.