[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

minidecoupler was renamed to NP_minidecoupler in the update; if you are using the old craft file in the Odin Zip file it will have the old name in it, sorry. I should have mentioned that earlier; there is a new launcher in the 1.1a NP zip though :)

Edit: And I updated the OdinOTV.zip file with the new Odin*.craft files - delete the old ones (not sure if they are named the same)

Edit2:

Here\'s the re-worked SP fairings, they are now 1.25m; full, half and quarter walls, a flange \'wall\' that goes down to 1m, and the nosecone.

Gonna make reverse adapters back to 1m, and up to 1.75 and 2m sizes

DUBjh.jpg

In the version I\'m using (0.7a I think, I need to spring-clean when 14.2 is released) the fuel/mass ratio is 1:200 as opposed to stock\'s 1:300. This basically eliminates the need for lag-machines with in excess of 40 LFT\'s to complete missions. I think it\'s closer to real life, more practical and a lot less finicky.

That is pretty much right; The game has issues with parts that have a high mass, or they would match the stock part\'s efficiency (we tried that for a while)

But yeah, its going to be easier because there are way more parts, and you need less complex 'stacks' of fuel and engines to do a lot of things.

One of those 'someday' things in the back of my brain is a set \'hardcore\' config values for the tanks and engines, though that would definitely be something a contributor could do if they were so inclined :)

Yeah alright that makes sense. I enjoy using this pack alot more than the original game, it\'s very fun. Though I\'m missing out on like a three/four-way into a one-way coupler of some sort. Like if you use a quad coupler and then you want to join those four parts under to one part under them.

Also covering my rockets top part thats ment for mun landing with PLF 3 meter wall half and PLF 3 meter nose cone works OK. But upon disengaging these parts they stay solid together and they basically just noclip trough my later stage. I thought it would be able to detach themselves and fall off to the sides. This might be because of the nose cone though as everything might be 'welded' to it, but the nose cone isnt detachable itself though and it\'s connected to a decoupler that removes it from the top of the rocket. This nose cone is the only thing that can fit on the top of my rocket.

So the problem is:

I can\'t attach anything but a non-detachable/couplable nose cone at the top, attaching two 3 meter detachable walls underneath it creates a shell for the top part of my rocket and upon disengaging/removing/coupling these parts away they stay in this shell and noclip their way slowly trough my rocket.

EDIT: The nose cone isn\'t noclippable it\'s a static object that blocks my approach.

I\'m working on a way to make the shells push apart better; right now the best way to do it is to stop all engines when you release the shells and then decoupler the smaller stage and push your way free.

The reverse tricoupler or quadcoupler doesn\'t work because of a limitation of KSP; Parts can basically only connect to one part at a time (per mouse-click); so when you click the bottom coupler to try and connect it to the 3 or 4 tanks above it.. it doesn\'t allow snapping to more than one part; so only one of the tanks would be 'attached'

Alright!

At the moment this is how the detachable nose coupler can be connected:

fTCNa.jpg

Could you add another attachment point so they connect and face inwards to create a proper shell? Or have another part that faces the opposite way?

Oh... heh.

You have to build the shells form the bottom up; start with the base plate; it has the 2 pink nodes to attach the straight walls to, and then each wall has another node to attach a 2nd one, or a nosecone to finish it off.

Building them from the nose down would be a totally different design, and I\'m not sure it would work as well.

There are specific, standalone nose-cone pieces you can use if you ONLY need a nosecone; Come to think about it, there may not be a 3m nosecone.

It works fine now with the detachment though my rocket flips out after my first four rockets run out. Its supposed to be like this:

1st Stage - Four engines on the outside and middle one fire, landing struts disengage, take off.

2nd Stage - Disengage four lower outer engines.

3rd Stage - Disengage outer shell, disengage main rocket, engage other rocket.

etc....

It fucks up as I\'m supposed to click 2nd stage, it basically just changes it\'s course and becomes uncontrollable. Also it wobbles abit if i engage the SAS on take off, being abit unstable, any remedys for this?

Also how efficient is my rocket, any suggestions? I\'m new to this lol.

Also what\'s Odin and the Thor and will you be able to get into orbit around the moon, send down a lander, take off from the moon and then dock with your main craft in orbit around the moon and come back? Or will that still not work next update?

Well your craft file doesn\'t load in the newest version; Did you upgrade to 1.1a? If you did, you forgot to uninstall all of the old NP_ part folders before you did so; delete them all and copy in the new 1.1a folders (and Odin if you had that) - You\'ll have to rebuild the ship of course, all the old craft files will be invalid (this is the only version that\'s broken saves, as far as I can remember)

Without seeing how the rocket is built, I can\'t offer any tips; If you upload a new craft file I\'ll look at it, or even a screenshot would help.

I am considering two mission profiles for a joint Odin/Thor mission; Either a massive launcher with both crafts as payload (like Saturn V/Apollo) or a duel launch, with Odin meeting up with Thor and the Munar transit stage that was launched on a heavy launcher; Once in Munar orbit it would progress pretty much like an Apollo mission with Odin staying in orbit and Thor landing, and then the ascent stage of thor bringing our crew back to Odin for the trip home.

It all depends on the features added in 0.15 with docking; that is the plan anyway.

Well your craft file doesn\'t load in the newest version; Did you upgrade to 1.1a? If you did, you forgot to uninstall all of the old NP_ part folders before you did so; delete them all and copy in the new 1.1a folders (and Odin if you had that) - You\'ll have to rebuild the ship of course, all the old craft files will be invalid (this is the only version that\'s broken saves, as far as I can remember)

Without seeing how the rocket is built, I can\'t offer any tips; If you upload a new craft file I\'ll look at it, or even a screenshot would help.

I am considering two mission profiles for a joint Odin/Thor mission; Either a massive launcher with both crafts as payload (like Saturn V/Apollo) or a duel launch, with Odin meeting up with Thor and the Munar transit stage that was launched on a heavy launcher; Once in Munar orbit it would progress pretty much like an Apollo mission with Odin staying in orbit and Thor landing, and then the ascent stage of thor bringing our crew back to Odin for the trip home.

It all depends on the features added in 0.15 with docking; that is the plan anyway.

Edit: I just tried to load it with 1.0a installed, and it also fails because its looking for certain 1.1a parts; you definitely have the 2 versions mixed right now.

Making the nodes is no problem, its making them connect.

Connections are always between one piece that is connected already (starting with the pod) and one attached to the mouse, where you click to snap them.

So you start with the tricoupler and then attach 3 tanks below it, now you have 3 bottom nodes to attach to.

Now you grab the theoretical upside down tricoupler, and go to attach it, KSP ONLY allows it to connect ONE of its top nodes to one of the bottom nodes. There will be bottom and top nodes sitting there overlapping when the single connection happens, but there is no actual 'glue' in there, so the ends of those tanks just flop about, and no fuel could flow.

There is currently no way to make those extra nodes link up; it will require new functions in KSP or perhaps a plugin of somesort.

I don\'t use those reverse couplers anyway, but if I did, I\'d have just used struts and fuel lines to remedy the problem. They\'re just enough, no need to bother with plugins.

TEozp.jpg

This is the bottom part of my rocket and the main rocket that\'s supposed to get me out of the atmosphere. The eight landing legs at the bottom are for increased stability at the launch pad and upon take off they\'re disconnected and blow up (lol). At around 10,000 meters the outer four rockets are disconnected but as they run out of fuel and are supposed to be disconnected they rocket turns over on it\'s side and becomes uncontrollable.

n7oYP.jpg

Once the main rocket runs out of fuel I will almost be completely out of the atmosphere and I disconnect the main rocket leaving me with two rockets, moonar lander and the command module.

rZjtD.jpg

Last part, I havn\'t covered it up yet, you can see the structure of my rocket this way.

Also I havn\'t updated because I got this error cannot connect to updater or something and I really don\'t want to do that yet anyways as I\'ve done alot of rockets. I probably will update when 1.5 comes out instead.

You dont need to update the game, its your Novapunch addon that is messed up.

You copied the version I released a few days ago over the previous one already in your folder; this is going to cause weird errors, and you\'ll never be able to share crafts.

Just go into Parts and delete the folders that start with NP_ and recopy them from the 1.1a zip file (and from the Odin zip)

Then when you remake craft files, they\'ll work for others who have NP installed.

Anyway, I think the main problem with your rocket is the staging shrouds you are using, they don\'t match, and using them like that creates extra wobble because the collision parts don\'t fit together.

I built a similar ship, look it over and see if you can improve yours. I also added 4 little radial liquid 'boosters' that gimbal and add some steering to the big bottom stage; you might also try some control winglets.

Ieozj.jpg

I did the middle part like you did right there and it\'s a solid fit decoupler. The problem is that with this I can\'t build a shell for the top part as there\'s nothing to attach it to :(

EDIT: Control Winglets only work in the atmosphere right? And when trying on some they only made it worse for some reason. I only have one SAS which is ontop of the command module. The radial liquid boosters, should it be the ones with the exhaust pointed out (Retro Booster) or the one pointing down (Liquid Booster). How will these boosters help me get more control and should I have SAS turned on with them on? Also in space when I\'m at my third stage my rocket becomes really unstable in space, it breaks off the SAS, is slow to turn and can\'t hold course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.