[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Just a question: is there any way you can make your parts stick together better? One of the big issues I had with NovaPunch stuff was wobble and joints breaking. The parts themselves are awesome and I too can't wait for 2.0 so I can get some of the useful bits back! :)

i usually just use a radial decoupler that sticks out a bit and strut the pieces together, making sure its staged right

its KSP tho a slightly wobbly to wobbly rocket is to be expected

i usually just use a radial decoupler that sticks out a bit and strut the pieces together, making sure its staged right

its KSP tho a slightly wobbly to wobbly rocket is to be expected

This. And if your first/second stage has like 5 engines on it disable thrust vectoring on all but the center one (or whatever as long as it's balanced) and it will really help with the wobbles.

This. And if your first/second stage has like 5 engines on it disable thrust vectoring on all but the center one (or whatever as long as it's balanced) and it will really help with the wobbles.

ive gotten some pretty massive(1000+ tons) rockets up using this method, think 8 Saturn V rockets strapped together around a central Saturn V. got me my record of 63 kerbals landed on the Mun in one go

Getting ID Strong Struts mod and using the aircraft strut to do internal strutting helps a bit as well, at least with the big 5m stages it seems to

i was actually hoping for a 2.18 to 2.5 meter adapter, not really for anything special but it would be kind of neat to have a 1.25m capsule end in a 5m engine using all the tank and engine sizes, kinda like a big saturnV but with 5 main stages(6 with a lander) instead of 4

adapter plates are staying. I announced a while back that the 2.18m tank size was going away, and it did. In the screenshot you see: 0.625m mini tank, then 3x each of: 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, and 5m tanks, and matching RCS and decouplers.

LOL teh anticipation is building, getting too many errors with the 1.5b pack and 20.2, texture errors and parts not wanting to be moved after i set them, they work but gotta get em in the right place

the first time, cant wait to see what i can do with the new parts

I really like the limits the stock parts place on the game by not providing engines with both high thrust and efficiency or fuel tanks with both high fuel capacity and low mass. Will you make sure your parts follow their same ratios?

I really like the limits the stock parts place on the game by not providing engines with both high thrust and efficiency or fuel tanks with both high fuel capacity and low mass. Will you make sure your parts follow their same ratios?

They do... granted there are some very powerful engines in the NP pack, in fact you can use 5 M-50 engines putting out 2 million pounds of thrust, but you will pay for it in instability and inefficiency. NP is not a cheat part pack

And he actually can't make a fuel tank with high capacity and low weight - "fuel" has a set mass per unit. He could make a high-capacity fuel tank with low dry mass, but it would still weigh a ton (in this case to be understood as "a lot", i.e. many, many tons) when full.

They do... granted there are some very powerful engines in the NP pack, in fact you can use 5 M-50 engines putting out 2 million pounds of thrust, but you will pay for it in instability and inefficiency. NP is not a cheat part pack

whenever i use the 5xm50 engine i usually use the adapter and 5 of the engines strutting where the engine cover flares out to the fuel tank, and before launch locking the gimbals of all but the center, makes for a very smooth launch up until the main tank is about out of fuel main stage gets too light for that much power, the gimbal range seems to work fine at launch but right before stage sep its too much for the amount of weight lost

Edited by hellion13

Well, the main stage (as in, the first stage) doesn't really matter in terms of weight. If the second stage was really light with a lot of power, then it would be too easy for the first stage to lift it. But the first stage is only lifted by itself, so weight doesn't really matter.

Is it safe to continue to use NP in its current rev on .20x? Or does it really break? I don't want to horribly crash my KSP installation if that's the case.

Parts like tanks and fairings work okay if you install them in the old /Parts directory. Some stuff like the decouplers don't, the models are bugged. You won't crash KSP totally, but you may bug the game until you remove the offending parts. Best ideais to test all the parts in a new save game and and don't screw up your existing ones.

I've been playing with it on 0.20 quite a bit and I have no issues in-flight with most parts. A select few of them seem to be the wrong size or their models are totally glitchy, but I happened to not have any in my persistence file so I'm not sure what happens with them if they are loaded in a flight. The glitchy-texture parts work just fine in-flight but not in the VAB (they won't delete or be selectable after placing them down), so I can still launch existing ships with them but not build new ones. Most parts look just a bit darker than usual but are otherwise normal in both VAB and flight, which I can make do with until a proper update is ready.

Is it safe to continue to use NP in its current rev on .20x? Or does it really break? I don't want to horribly crash my KSP installation if that's the case.

i mostly just had problems with the decouplers, if i didnt place them right they would stick and i wouldnt be able to move them or even click on them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.