[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

He Tiberion i was wondering if the "clickability space" for the two struts in the package can be increased. At times it's not possible to move or adjust the struts and i either have to just slap more on or remove the part and redo the strutting :)

Those are just copies of the stock strut, and the clickability of them is tied out how big their collider mesh is, which is in the model file, and not something I can edit.

If I get some spare time I want to learn how to make struts from scratch via Unity, and I could just make some new ones.

For the record, I think its actually a bug with surface attachments or something, because it happens with the stock strut too, and other radial pieces.

I'm actually amazed at how not-wobbly these rockets are. Even if I did go a little overboard on the strutting :P

Edit - is there any way to make fearing decoupling a little less messy?

vq04.png

The problem is the fairings clip though the rocket ever so slightly and when you decouple them the kind of explode. I recommend the procedural fairings plugin. It does a far better job and gets the fairings at exactly the right size!

Edit - is there any way to make fearing decoupling a little less messy?

vq04.png

I've always been able to get them to detach in four nice fairing panels when they come off.... they never explode into pieces like that for me. But frizzank, how can you make interstage fairings in procedural? I thought it was only for nose cone fairings. I love procedural. If it could do interstage fairings too.....

so far i haven't had any issue with this at all, because i dont use FAR unless im building a plane, i dont use the fairings no need for them and they just add weight, so i have not tested them but all the engines and tanks are working fine and ive actually not had any issues with the struts anymore either, not a REALLY huge issue for me but one i noticed and it might just be the .21 patch, but the snap to feature when you get close together with the connection nodes seems a slight bit wacky like it doesnt know whether it wants to put the part inside or where its supposed to be, but then i never tried .21 stock LOL by the time i was able to get on and play NP2.02 was out and ive not looked back LOL

I think the main issue is that I was decoupling all of the fairing sections at once so they just disassembled. If I just decouple the bottom one then they float off in nice sheets. But now the problem remains that there is almost no separation force to the fairings. They just don't peel away nicely. Can this be increased?

And yeah I know about procedural fairings, but I'm just waiting for a thinner piece for interstages.

I tried some of the stock rockets in this addon last night but they just turned over after launch and crashed. Mechjeb couldn't fly them either but I see there's been another KSP update so I'll give them another go tonight and hope they fixed the wobbly/big rocket problems

Witch version of NP and Witch version of KSP, also please post a pic of the wobbly rocket, and we will try to help. Also If you have huge rocket, its going to wobble, this is a KSP limitation not a NP one. Build A 5 stage rocket that's 4 orange tanks tall in stock KSP and its going to wobble as well.

i think its mechjeb, i was flying fine until i put the new mechjeb in there, it screws with the SAS somehow. had a 4 stage saturn V thing going with no struts at all and it flew arrow straight, i put mechjeb on and 5-30 seconds into flight i have massive unplanned disassembly

Hi, I really love the pack(been using KW until 0.20.2, when i realized it is a major resource hog and the authors have no intention of updating it).

I have a question though - are there any plans to bring the 1.25 and 2.5m engines more inline with stock? Some of them are a little OP, but I can't stop myself from using them because they look SO. DAMN. GOOD!

They might be a little more powerful, but I wouldn't say that labeling them Overpowered is fair. Most of the time, when they get more thrust, they suffer an ISP penalty (especially when they're an engine intended to be a 1st stage OR an orbital engine) or a Mass penalty. I'm not going to claim its 100% on par with stock, because I tuned it on the side of "fun" rather than frusration when trying to launch the "Novapunch style" rockets, but its marginal

So, total rebalance? Not planning on it for a while; if someone has some specific things they think are really bad, I'll certainly listen though.

Also; it was reported that the "light launcher" example craft isn't loading because it still includes one of the ASAS parts I removed in the latest version. Whoops. I can send an updated craft file to anyone who really needs it.

Also: I'd still like more example craft to include in the pack - has to be Stock + NovaPunch only though - don't want to require other mods to be downloaded.

The "Even Heavier" struts appear to be attaching to surfaces upside down. This may be the cause of the unclickable struts problem. I have also noticed that the unclickable struts issue only occurs with the superheavy struts, and the heavy struts can be moved just like normal ones.

I'm loving the new version, the engines are a thing of beauty. One minor request though - any chance of "pancake" tanks like KW Rocketry has? Ones that are half the height of the current shortest ones. They're very convenient as engine mounts.

Yeah frizzank found the backwards attachment issue, and fixing it does seem to make it happen less often.

Find the GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Misc\NP_zmisc_HeavierStrut folder in your KSP installation, and open the part.cfg file in Notepad or another plain text editor.

Find this line: node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

Change it to

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

(basically just remove the negative sign)

Save and reload, and it should help.

re: Pancake tanks - it would be cool, though its more work for frizzank. That's a 'Maybe'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.