[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I believe you can open the part.cfg file [in ...Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\Misc\NP_zmisc_HeavierStrut] and change

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0

to

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

then it will attach like the other struts

Thank you Thank you Thank you. That solved the problem. I appreciate that, it saves some aggravation

EDIT: Tiberion or Frizz did you guys update something on the modd, i noticed it had a july 30th date now

Edited by viperwolf

No I just changed the version in the title on Spaceport, it always changed the date and bumps it, kind of annoying.

The first line in the description always tells you the last time the file was updated (or the title of the forum thread)

Nice pack, I especially like the five different tank diameters. However there are a couple issues I see with some of the parts:

(1) The thrust to weight ratio on some of the engines is just way to high. The SLS-250 and the Bearcat Series Two Tri-Nozzle in particular have a thrust to weight ratio of 431 and 489, respectively. Compare that to the stock Mainsail with 250. The Tri-Nozzle has more thrust (2200kN vs 1500kN) AND less weight (4.5 tons vs 6 tons) than the Mailsail. The masses should clearly be higher to be more inline with existing parts.

(2) I'm surprised no one has mentioned it (at least in my search of the thread) but the masses for two of the HH Series Interstage Adapters is clearly mistaken. The 125-25 one is fine, with a dry mass of 0.6 tons. But the 25-375 one has a dry mass of 0.2 tons, and 375-5 has a dry mass of 1.2 tons. Considering these are basically fuel tanks, the wet to dry mass ratio is off the charts on those two tanks. All the tanks in the vanilla AND all the tanks in the rest of the NovaPunch pack have a wet to dry mass ratio of 9:1. Yet the 25-375 adapter has a ratio of 107.4:1 and the 375-5 has a ratio of 40.93:1. These are clearly errors, and although I really like these adapters I've held off using them since they give ridiculously high performance.

Edited by AncientGammoner

Nice pack, I especially like the five different tank diameters. However there are a couple issues I see with some of the parts:

(1) The thrust to weight ratio on some of the engines is just way to high. The SLS-250 and the Bearcat Series Two Tri-Nozzle in particular have a thrust to weight ratio of 431 and 489, respectively. Compare that to the stock Skipper with 250. The Tri-Nozzle has more thrust (2200kN vs 1500kN) AND less weight (4.5 tons vs 6 tons) than the Skipper. The masses should clearly be higher to be more inline with existing parts.

(2) I'm surprised no one has mentioned it (at least in my search of the thread) but the masses for two of the HH Series Interstage Adapters is clearly mistaken. The 125-25 one is fine, with a dry mass of 0.6 tons. But the 25-375 one has a dry mass of 0.2 tons, and 375-5 has a dry mass of 1.2 tons. Considering these are basically fuel tanks, the wet to dry mass ratio is off the charts on those two tanks. All the tanks in the vanilla AND all the tanks in the rest of the NovaPunch pack have a wet to dry mass ratio of 9:1. Yet the 25-375 adapter has a ratio of 107.4:1 and the 375-5 has a ratio of 40.93:1. These are clearly errors, and although I really like these adapters I've held off using them since they give ridiculously high performance.

Sssssssssh, don't tell Quality Control. We're going to the Mun​, Baby!!

Yeah, looks like some of the configs got crossed with the model changes.

The 2.5-3.75m tank adapter should have a drymass of 2.5 (GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\CouplersAndAdapters\NP_interstage_2_5m_3_75m_tank)

The 3.75-5.0m tank adapter should be 6.0m drymass (GameData\NovaPunch2\Parts\CouplersAndAdapters\NP_interstage_3_75m_5m_tank)

For the engines:

NP_LFE_2_5m_BearcatSingle (SLS-250 Bearcat Series Two) drymass: 5.25

NP_LFE_3_75m_BearCatTriNozzle (Series Two Tri Nozzle) drymass: 8.5

They got scaled up a size, changed everything but drymass I guess. The changes puts them right at 255-260 TWR

Changes will be in the next version of course, or you can change them on your own.

Going to make some more changes.some actually had slightly inferior TWR

Littlemother: drymass from 10 to 8

Bronco Quad: drymass from 12 to 10

Edited by Tiberion

Tiberion did you get my report about the Odin RCS Pack having one thruster missing?

Oh yeah sorry, I did fix that. The transform was messed up in Unity, so its been broken a good while. That plus the RCS changes in fine control mode should really let Odin perform better in docking maneuvers.

I threw together a quick patchfile with the fixes for:

The Heavierstrut node (can grab it now)

The drymass fixes listed above

The OdinFlightPack RCS thruster

Not updating the zipfile right now, so if those issues affect you, grab this: http://www./?hx5t6qd7cic5bqi

Oh yeah sorry, I did fix that. The transform was messed up in Unity, so its been broken a good while. That plus the RCS changes in fine control mode should really let Odin perform better in docking maneuvers.

I threw together a quick patchfile with the fixes for:

The Heavierstrut node (can grab it now)

The drymass fixes listed above

The OdinFlightPack RCS thruster

Not updating the zipfile right now, so if those issues affect you, grab this: http://www./?hx5t6qd7cic5bqi

Awesome, i love patches, they make my CDO happy

I wonder if we can get some stronger surface attach on the landing legs in NP? I am trying to use the Thor lander legs on a truck kethane platform and whenever they are deployed they are just wobbling around. All of them - the ones that "unpack", the other ones that come out vertically... they all have pretty weak attachment strengths.

I wonder if we can get some stronger surface attach on the landing legs in NP? I am trying to use the Thor lander legs on a truck kethane platform and whenever they are deployed they are just wobbling around. All of them - the ones that "unpack", the other ones that come out vertically... they all have pretty weak attachment strengths.

As far as I know, the only way to make them stronger would be to... increase their mass!

Well, they are balanced in the sense that the parts weights and engine TWR/Isp are alright, but it does add a lot of capability to the game, so in another sense it can make the game a lot easier.

Are these parts generally balanced? I want as many parts as possible, but not if it's something like a 1.25 meter engine with the thrust of a mainsail and the efficiency of a nuclear engine.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, someone posted a spreadsheet of all the parts compared back in the thread somewhere showing the advantages, disadvantages and trade-offs of all the NP parts, also people point out inconsistent parts and they get fixed/patched pretty quickly, I mean top of page 179 even has a part balancing hot-fix

The fuel tanks are spot on balanced against the stock ones, they're just scaled versions of the same stats varying by volume (due since we don't see the internals)

When I do engine balancing, I set the stock engines in a spreadsheet and then fill in the holes and scale up to the bigger parts. Then I playtest and see if I need to adjust up or down to allow a "common" core stage to fly a proper distance at a proper speed, to arrive at a TWR ratio naturally rather than aim at once. Its not always precise, so I do ask people to report things that seem out of line.

I am not above pushing things if I don't like the way stock performs, for instance my SRBs are generally "better" than stock, especially in burn time, because they're annoying to use otherwise. But its like 5 to 10% at most.

1. Looking for ModularFuel plugin configs for NovaPunch engines. I quite want to have LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen powered versions.

2. The selection in the 1-200 kN thrust category is a ghost town, especially for anything large. If I put a 2.5m engine on a Apollo CSM replica I can't get TWR under like 3 and that's with way too much fuel.

The fuel tanks are spot on balanced against the stock ones, they're just scaled versions of the same stats varying by volume (due since we don't see the internals)

When I do engine balancing, I set the stock engines in a spreadsheet and then fill in the holes and scale up to the bigger parts. Then I playtest and see if I need to adjust up or down to allow a "common" core stage to fly a proper distance at a proper speed, to arrive at a TWR ratio naturally rather than aim at once. Its not always precise, so I do ask people to report things that seem out of line.

I am not above pushing things if I don't like the way stock performs, for instance my SRBs are generally "better" than stock, especially in burn time, because they're annoying to use otherwise. But its like 5 to 10% at most.

To me you did a great job with balancing things out, The SRBs where a nice touch

1. Looking for ModularFuel plugin configs for NovaPunch engines. I quite want to have LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen powered versions.

2. The selection in the 1-200 kN thrust category is a ghost town, especially for anything large. If I put a 2.5m engine on a Apollo CSM replica I can't get TWR under like 3 and that's with way too much fuel.

Take a look at my sig for mfs config for novapunch.

What I think is really missing in NP right now are 5m engine adapter plates, of the sort you can place multiple smaller engines on a bigger tank.

A 4X2.5 to 5m adapter would be pretty cool, as would be an adapter for a large number of 1.25m engines.

I think the main benefit for it I see right now is that KerbCom Avionics can make very good use of multiple engines.

Hey folks, I searched back about 20 pages and didn't find an answer, so I've tried downloading this pack from the mediafire and spaceport windows, and everytime I do, it loads everything except the fairings correctly. I've checked out the configs that I've got, everything seems to be in the correct order, and no random characters thrown in anywhere. But when the game boots up, it's showing the fairings in the VAB as being translucent, with their correct shapes and such, but when I try to select one it crashes KSP.

Btw, I'm on the latest, 21.1 and running on a Mac. I also have Kethane, and the Laztek SpaceX analogue installed... Any thoughts? Thanks for the help, if you can give me any!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.