oculus rift support

IVA view currently needs a lot of expanding and retooling before playing seriously with nothing but IVA becomes reasonable. Unity has native rift support though, so once it actually makes sense, it should'n't be too hard to add in.

• 3 months later...

There are still opportunities as it is. Using "normal" external view, headtracking could be disabled (it would just be a 3D screen essentially) or it could be used with headtracking as an "observer" if that makes any sense. In the ship-building, phase, it could be turned on or off. EVA would be amazing with rift, as would IVA (just for fun - not necessarily navigating - that sounds awful). It would also be great for rovers of course.

docking [..] landing

Docking, most certainly. I can still count my docking attempts on a single hand, but half the time I set up a seemingly perfect mating of the docking ports only to find I out I was off by a meter or two in the viewport's z-direction.

Landing, you luckily have the shadow to guide you if you set down at the right local time of day. And I wonder if the 3D effect helps estimating distances when the size difference, i.e. lander vs planet, is that large.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I finally received my Dev kit in the December batch. Is there any way to get a little more information on the 6DOF camera work that HarvesteR did about a month ago? (Mentioned Here)

I have very little knowledge of programming as of now, but the idea of learning how to getting the rift to work with KSP was one of the main reasons I got it.

• 2 months later...

I got it working , with perception, headtracking also works :D

but the mouse cursor been out of sync is the only setback (oh yer and the resolution of the rift but that's duable)

if the mouse cursor was correct , it would be totally playable.

Any dev's here that can think of quick fix for this?

For more info, even though it's split screen, there's only one mouse pointer, and it uses the combined resolution.

maybe some small patch could be made for rift folks (if possible).

Edited by Skamp_X

There are still opportunities as it is. Using "normal" external view, headtracking could be disabled (it would just be a 3D screen essentially) or it could be used with headtracking as an "observer" if that makes any sense. In the ship-building, phase, it could be turned on or off. EVA would be amazing with rift, as would IVA (just for fun - not necessarily navigating - that sounds awful). It would also be great for rovers of course.

Actually oculus rift motion tracking (both rotation and translation) could work pretty neatly with TPP camera as well but it would also mean that UI would need to be reworked (2d windows and menus in 3d space a`la dead space) to work well with oculus and increase importance of IVA and kerbal first person view (better visibility during IVA, with monitors+cameras replacing front windows or windows adjusted to kerbal anatomy).

As much as I would love to see oculus rift support (including VR friendly UI) and improved cockpits and IVA's I'm not shure if ability of experiencing space travel "first hand" it's worth the effort (probably not).

Yeah, but ignoring the "IVA" side of things, isn't space the perfect venue for three-D? I mean, getting a 3D impression of a planet from space would be much more impressive, in my mind, than a 3D first-person shooter.

Everything already looks pretty cool now on rift,

even in outside camera view , its nice to have a look at your ship or station from all angles.

I would already settle for ksp as it is if the mouse position was corrected.

Though more information in iva would be welcome, and eva ...hell yes!

For now , trying to make it interesting,

Landed a kethane fuel depo on duna, and just landed a big rover with drill,(without rift)

hooked up a steering wheel with pedals, rift on.

I'm high in the mountains and its a 30km drive downhill but should be fun :D

Oh right forgot, sinds this is on the suggestions section,

any chance to get some sound or music when in cockpit on a planet , it's ....kind of weird driving with no sound at all.. (until I crash and explode)

gonna push my luck, any chance some kind of radio could be put in there with selectable mp3's from ones own hard drive ;)

Could even add it to the tech tree, low quality at first , then big speakers near the end tree :P

Edited by Skamp_X

• 2 weeks later...

Was flying around in KSP and realized that it would be a perfect time to try the Rift, so I loaded up VorpX and jumped in!

4c16sBc.png

I quite liked how it felt, flying IVA with the Rift. Just right-click while in IVA and the head tracking will be mapped to the mouse movement. Outside of IVA, using VorpX's middle mouse click option to shift the view around works really well (it's called EdgePeek, mainly used to view the edges of the screen and see pesky menu options that are out of view). I haven't played around much else with it, but I definitely think KSP will be an excellent Rift game if the devs work it in.

• 1 year later...
I got it working , with perception, headtracking also works :D

but the mouse cursor been out of sync is the only setback (oh yer and the resolution of the rift but that's duable)

if the mouse cursor was correct , it would be totally playable.

Any dev's here that can think of quick fix for this?

For more info, even though it's split screen, there's only one mouse pointer, and it uses the combined resolution.

maybe some small patch could be made for rift folks (if possible).

Have you tried it with KerbTrack?

Ive just about completely given up on IVAs right now, given that even if 1.0 hits, too limited, no ability to move around inside, no buttons to interact with, and no customization. Custom built ship internals ftw, you aint getting a command deck, crew quarters, cargo bays, engine rooms, weapons bays, ect all where kerbals can sit and move around in a cockpit's IVA.

Custom made IVAs ftw.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.