Do you use Mechjeb?

Do you use/have MechJeb installed?  

1. 1. Do you use/have MechJeb installed?

Just yes or no. Trying to put hard numbers as to the portion of the current community that uses the Mechjeb autopilot. Opinions/grievances/observations go below.

EDIT:

Aye. Problem is, Mechjeb...well it's got lots of informational and predictive stuff that's useful even if you don't use the autopilots.

I'm just wondering whether you have it or not. Not whether you use the autopilot function.

Edited by theflyingfish

I think a poll would be suited here.

Added. 'Twas an accident.

Aye. Problem is, Mechjeb...well it's got lots of informational and predictive stuff that's useful even if you don't use the autopilots.

I'm just wondering whether you have it or not. Not whether you use the autopilot function.

Yep, but I do find that some things are either easier or more efficent to do without using Mechjebs autopilot. Which is NOT a complaint, it's a great piece of work.

I use it for tedious things that I don't really find very enjoyable, like launching or holding an orientation during a burn. I have fun planning transfers and landing, so I just do those myself.

But you did ask for opinions/grievances/observations

Make posts about opinions/grievances/etc, but for the poll I was just wondering whether it was installed or not.

I was making sure people understood that even if they only used the Mechjeb info displays and not the autopilot functions, they should still answer yes in the poll. You can post whatever you want in the discussion. :)

Sorry. Bad wording on my part.

I use it once I've got good at doing what I'm doing, so I'll launch a ship a few times then let mechjeb do it, etc. I still like manually docking though.

Really nice for dV readouts though.

I use it sometimes when I'm feeling lazy, to point the ship in the right direction. Or if I need to make ultra-precise landings.

The aerobrake calculator, and landing prediction thing are both extremely useful.

But I don't always bring it, and then bring kerbal engineer instead.

Depends, i have it installed, but mostly for quick node planning and for precision landings, i can land landers but i still lack the skill too make pinpoint landings, often i land 5 to 30 km off target <blush> ..

Docking i do mostly by hand. MJ just abuse imho way too much RCS and its 50/50 that it even seems to be able to get a ship into position, and just keeps wasting monopropellant fuel.

Its still a handy tool, and gives alot of information that isnt in the game all in one mod. so i dont need too have several mods running that provide the same information.

But i can do without, its just too handy too have

I use mechjeb for everything except spaceplanes and landings. I mainly use it because pushing and pulling those maneuver nodes around just annoys the hell out of me. Entering numbers is much more convenient. Another reason is, as longcat said, that launching a rocket can be very tedious.

Depending on news about the SAS functionality I will be using it, but right now I don't. Engineer gives me all the info I need.

Does engineer do aerobraking and re-entry simulation too? I've never heard of a mod other tham Mechjeb that does that, and it's a REALLY handy feature, even when flying manually, since it predicts atmospheric effects on your flight path. If it does, I'd love to have something else to recommend for that, so I'd really like to know.

Yep, but I do find that some things are either easier or more efficent to do without using Mechjebs autopilot. Which is NOT a complaint, it's a great piece of work.

Oh aye. The spaceplane landing autopilot is TERRIBLE. Or at least it was the last time I used it. It actually crashed a plane once being stupid, and I haven't used it ever since (the ILS guidance sure, the autoland no). It doesn't control the throttle, so you're left doing that yourself while it steers the plane. One time, I botched the throttle control (it's harder when you're not also steering), the plane bounced back up into the air and...mechjeb turned it completely around backwards to point back at the initial touchdown point. I hastily shut off the autoland and tried to put it down backwards myself. It ended up slightly misaligned, and shortly after it was no longer a plane but a bunch of pieces tumbling down the runway.

And for the haters, last I heard there's a way to go into the settings file and entirely disable certain features and/or modules, or something. I'm pretty sure you can completely lockout the autopilots while leaving the informationals. I think. I haven't really played with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.