Do you use Mechjeb?

Do you use/have MechJeb installed?  

1. 1. Do you use/have MechJeb installed?

Does engineer do aerobraking and re-entry simulation too? I've never heard of a mod other tham Mechjeb that does that, and it's a REALLY handy feature, even when flying manually, since it predicts atmospheric effects on your flight path. If it does, I'd love to have something else to recommend for that, so I'd really like to know.

It doesn't.

My crafts are usually too sketchy to trust to the Mechanical Jebediah, but it is suuper useful for dV information, radar altitude, suicide burn countdowns etc. Other than dV which can be calculated, alot of difficult maneuvers and calculations that you wouldn't have time to plug into a calculator (who would wanna do that for a game anyway) are filled with guess work and reloading quicksaves. As for autopilot, it makes bathroom breaks more productive. :)

I don't, I like the feel of handling my own ships, and actually spend a lot of time tweaking things here and there to improve maneuverability and the like. That's how my learning curve with the game went, by overtaking challenges on my own and failing spectacularly until I learn how to do it. My first Mun landing involved rolling down a hill for a solid 30 seconds before stopping, sure it was ugly as can be and I'm flat out lucky that it my lander stayed in one piece after it, but when I got out and planted that flag I could say it was 100% mine. End of the day, everyone can and should play the game as they find it most fun, single player and all.

I dont need to cheat and watch the game play itself.

So Don't use the Autopilots. Nobody's forcing you to. And no offense mate (despite your own offensive tone), but Mechjeb's actually LESS advanced than the Autopilot on the Apollo missions, which automatically modified its ascent profile for optimum efficiency based on observed atmospheric conditions.

The default game is roughly equivalent to real-world 1940s guidance tech.

Edited by Tiron

I dont need to cheat and watch the game play itself.

People like you make my blood boil. Mechjeb is far from cheating. It's a single player only game, there is no cheating other than flat-out cheats. (By that, I mean the cheat menu.) If mechjeb is cheating then NASA should be hanged. Also, some people enjoy watching the game, "play itself." So if people enjoy something and you don't, don't give them crap for it.

EDIT: Back on topic, I do use mechjeb. I get tired of babysitting long burns so I usually use mechjeb for that. Precision landing is another, but I dock manually as it is quite fun to smash a few solar panels on your 415 part space station.

So Don't use the Autopilots. Nobody's forcing you to. And no offense mate (despite your own offensive tone), but Mechjeb's actually LESS advanced than the Autopilot on the Apollo missions, which automatically modified its ascent profile for optimum efficiency based on observed atmospheric conditions.

Easy there, chief. I certainly don't have any issues with MechJeb or people who use it. I use Engineer because it calculates delta-V for me in the VAB (and alt-tabbing to spreadsheets is tedious) and I like flying with the default controls; I don't need the additional functionality or information of MechJeb at this time so I don't use it. Whatever offense you're seeing is entirely in your own mind.

Yeah, i have MechJeb and i use it on every craft. Usually it's only for data and SmartASS functionality. But when i refuel my interplanetary mothership in Mun orbit i will not manually land my kethane hauler six times in a row - it's boring, tedious and i landed on the Mun so many times it's no longer a challenge or skill test.

Mechjeb's actually LESS advanced than the Autopilot on the Apollo missions, which automatically modified its ascent profile for optimum efficiency based on observed atmospheric conditions..

Wow, a real life pioneering computer designed to pull off humanity's greatest feat thus far with the lives of real people relying on it, is more advanced than a mod in a video game?

I never would have guessed.

Drawing comparisons between RL computers and Mechjeb is foolish anyway, they are 2 completely different things. If you want people to let you use MJ in peace, don't make stupid points when arguing against their negative view on it.

Easy there, chief. I certainly don't have any issues with MechJeb or people who use it. I use Engineer because it calculates delta-V for me in the VAB (and alt-tabbing to spreadsheets is tedious) and I like flying with the default controls; I don't need the additional functionality or information of MechJeb at this time so I don't use it. Whatever offense you're seeing is entirely in your own mind.

Yeah, your post got re-multiquoted by accident and I didn't notice. I was actually just talking to the 'don't cheat watching it play itself guy'. Sorry.

Edit:

Mechjeb also shows Delta-V per-stage in the hangar, so ;)

That's how my learning curve with the game went, by overtaking challenges on my own and failing spectacularly until I learn how to do it. My first Mun landing involved rolling down a hill for a solid 30 seconds before stopping, sure it was ugly as can be and I'm flat out lucky that it my lander stayed in one piece after it, but when I got out and planted that flag I could say it was 100% mine.

I don't think some realise how much potential video games have for learning.

In real life, you make a mistake and you are suppose to learn from it; but you also pay something back one way or another. With a game, there is only potential for learning (and anguish :wink:); you're not expect to lose anything for it. It's what makes the failure fun.

Stock game doesn't give you much useful VAB/flight data. Actually, game is terrible at telling you things. I used to calculate stuff like mass, TWR and delta-V myself, but it's quite tedious task to do manually every time. So I switched to MJ.

I hate using mods, but I'd rather use them instead of guessing/calculating things by myself all the time/use old and informationless flight UI. And I don't understand why devs still haven't implemented any of these info windows for VAB/flight, while saying that the game is "top-heavy" and needs more basic stuff.

Stock game doesn't give you much useful VAB/flight data. Actually, game is terrible at telling you things. I used to calculate stuff like mass, TWR and delta-V myself, but it's quite tedious task to do manually every time. So I switched to MJ.

I hate using mods, but I'd rather use them instead of guessing/calculating things by myself all the time/use old and informationless flight UI. And I don't understand why devs still haven't implemented any of these info windows for VAB/flight, while saying that the game is "top-heavy" and needs more basic stuff.

Because in Game Terms, KSP is more or less equivalent to 'Lego Orbiter'. It's supposed to be relatively simple and easy to just jump into, while still allowing for a surprising degree of sophistication.

I use it for the wealth of information it provides. I used the docking autopilot once back in .19(?), but found it used a prohibitive amount of RCS compared to what I use. Other than that, I've never used the APs though.

Yup

I also firmly fully believe there are people who do and say they don't lol.

Edit: Its an amazing teaching tool, I used it exclusively for much of the first month I played and just from watching it have learned much of what I know.

It can't teach EVERYTHING you need to know to be a great pilot but man oh man does it help!

Edited by IllicitMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.