Do you think anyone that plays KSP will actually become an astronaut?

mrjordykid8

I wouldn't be surprised at all, this game can really capture the imagination as it's so unique, i'm far too useless for anything other than having an XL firework strapped to my back and fired upwards for fun, but there will be a lot of young players that may well end up if not astronauts, then astronomers, physicists and the like, yep wouldn't surprise me at all if Kerbal was a catalyst for some people's future careers. :)

If not astronauts most assuredly engineers. I too have put some thought into how inspiring this game could be to young people. It was a silly thought but the other day I was thinking if I won the lottery I'd donate high powered computers and copies of KSP to the local Boys & Girls Clubs.

I think it might happen, as KSP can inspire teachers to teach rocket science, it can inspire people to make space related art, it helps us all dream of the stars.

So yes, one day, someone who had curiosity as to what's out there in space kindled by KSP will look down at Earth, and smile :)

I do hope that some who play KSP go on to become engineers or entrepreneurs who build the rockets that can take the rest of us into space. The community that has sprung up around this game has collected and shared knowledge of space flight mechanics to an extent that I think is unprecedented.

I was playing the .21 yesterday with my 5 year old sitting on my lap, and to my astonishment he asked me why I didn't have engines activated on my lander pod when getting into orbit.

Straight away I realised what he was getting at and added fuel flow to the engines on my lander pod during the orbital stage and "hey presto", a more efficient ship. I simply couldn't believe it! Child logic is amazing.

I'm certainly not claiming that he's a genius, or that he will some day be a astronaut (although you never know), but he absolutely loves this game and has a fascination with space and the universe.

There is no question in my mind of the educational value of this game I have no doubt that it will inspire a generation towards physics and space exploration, whether through fantasy or realism.

Don't get me wrong space is still amazing and space flight is awe inspiring, but am I the only one here who wishes their pre teen years were in the 50's-60's

I'm 23 btw if it matters lol. Space has and always will amaze me I just wish I could have been that 10-12 year old boy looking up at the moon knowing the men from Apollo 11 were walking there as I gaze on.

That era was an amazing time for American's and the space program. It saddens to me to see funding cut to NASA, etc. Its just awe inspiring and it breaks my heart seeing the people who have 0 interest in it and see it as a waste of money. Because in all reality its not, and it could even be all we have left in the future.

But, I'm hopeful and confident I will be alive to witness man's first steps on the Martian Surface.

Anyway, this post popped this into my head so thought I'd share lol.

The thing is that this game attracts those who are already interested in space and astronomy (I certainly was; I have a scrapbook of Gemini and Apollo news cuttings) so, with or without KSP, some of those young people will no doubt gravitate* to the space industry.

* pun intended

I'm 14 here and I'm teaching myself rocket science from Travis Taylor's book "introduction to rocket science and engineering". I just bought my first telescope after a year of research, and I'm planning on making my own rockets soon. I can tell you that KSP inspired me to do all of this.

Guest Brody_Peffley

well. Becoming an astronaut is what inspired me to play this game, The game didn't inspire me. But I've been wanting to be an astronaut for either nasa or space x. But if I do become an astronaut. I want to fly the craft. I've been practicing with simulators. And other realistic training sims for becoming an astronaut. I've already got down my landing in crosswinds. But other than that. I want to fulfil my dreams :D I've already have a telescope and took pictures of the moon. But they were blurred and didn't like them :/ But, Im 13 and Im going to make my own first rocket powered by house hold chemicals like soda. And air.

The thing is that this game attracts those who are already interested in space and astronomy (I certainly was; I have a scrapbook of Gemini and Apollo news cuttings) so, with or without KSP, some of those young people will no doubt gravitate* to the space industry.

* pun intended

Agreed, I've been a space nut my entire life, long before I came across games and simulators.

They already do.... Remember when everyone from JPL was saying that a whole bunch of NASA personnel play Kerbal Space Program? You don't think that at least one astronaut plays this game regularly? It would surprise me if they didn't. And I specifically remember at least one member of this community saying they were really well on their way to being an astronaut. Getting their degree at the moment and already taking flying lessons to pilot jets.

Hopefully the kids playing KSP today don't take after most of our habits where Kerbals are disposable, and enjoy mashing on the stage button while doing a burn straight down to avoid the solar flare. ;)

I just wish I could have been that 10-12 year old boy looking up at the moon knowing the men from Apollo 11 were walking there as I gaze on.

If you haven't before, try looking up times that ISS passes over your area and watching as it goes by. Maybe not the same as the moon, but it's still quite amazing to see that small dot shoot across the sky and think at any given time, there are 3-6 humans on board that dot. Even more special is when you can see a ship following/trailing it before/after docking.

Not to go off on a tangent but space travel has become so commonplace these days most people look at it, for the most part, the same as people look at airplanes. Even when the shuttles were launching for the most part news channels maybe gave it a 30 second mention. Though the local channels here in FL did a little better, but mostly towards the end of the shuttle program. A majority of people don't give it another thought most of the time. Similar to how most people view air travel and don't think twice when they hear a plane over head (I still look up and watch planes as they fly over head from time to time). IMO It's a sad that people are more focused on what's going on with celebrities (movie stars, athletes etc) than in things that could possibly change things for the better.

For me, while it might not meet the expectations of where we should be, I think the space program (not just NASA but all the commercial ventures as well, national and international...SpaceX, Orbital, Sierra Nevada/Dream Chaser, Planetary Resources, Reaction Engines Ltd/Skylon for example) is just as exciting, if not more so, as there is more opportunities for more people to get involved. Several companies have plans for Mars regardless of government involvement, short of paperwork for flight permits and such. The Mars One project, which IIRC is planning on launching something in 2018 give or take. Their plan is to run a reality tv show that follows the progress of training/qualifying applicants to go to Mars, then following them as they travel to and setup "camp" there. It's basically written so you know going into it that it's a one way trip. Not to say that some other company won't provide transfer service back to Earth, but Mars One won't be. While the idea itself is interesting, I don't know how I feel about making a reality tv show about space like that. Though I guess if it gets the general public interested, perhaps it could very well jump start the next revolution of space travel/exploration.

Sorry, if you couldn't tell it's a touchy subject for me. :P

I hate to bust people's bubbles but IMHO the current population of astronauts is as high as it will ever be and will decline to zero in the next decade or 2. Simply put, there's no justification for sending humans to space with current or foreseeable technology. Having humans aboard VASTLY increases mission cost due to all the support systems they need and the delta-V needed to move it, and they seriously limit mission parameters. For all this, they perform no useful function that can't be automated, other than posing for a photo-op at the destination (and even that can be Photoshopped in later). With the Cold War over, such propaganda has no value, so neither does sending people to space.

Colonization of other planets is a pipedream. Unless and until we achieve some sci-fi breakthrough in propulsion, which enables us to send over hundreds of people at once, no so-called colony will have a viable population. And even then, there's still no viable place to live out there. We MIGHT be able to make an atmosphere, but we can do nothing about the lower gravity and the lack of magnetic fields of Mars or even Venus. Thus, colonists will have to live underground to escape the radiation and will waste away from low gravity, so after a few generations it will no longer be a human colony but that of a separate species of atrophied troglodytes, who are physically unable to visit Earth.

Which is why I volunteered my ex-wife for Mars One ;)

If you haven't before, try looking up times that ISS passes over your area and watching as it goes by. Maybe not the same as the moon, but it's still quite amazing to see that small dot shoot across the sky and think at any given time, there are 3-6 humans on board that dot. Even more special is when you can see a ship following/trailing it before/after docking.

Of course I have! I've seen the ISS over me many times and have watched numerous shuttle missions trailing behind it, its amazing.

I hate to bust people's bubbles but IMHO the current population of astronauts is as high as it will ever be and will decline to zero in the next decade or 2. Simply put, there's no justification for sending humans to space with current or foreseeable technology. Having humans aboard VASTLY increases mission cost due to all the support systems they need and the delta-V needed to move it, and they seriously limit mission parameters. For all this, they perform no useful function that can't be automated, other than posing for a photo-op at the destination (and even that can be Photoshopped in later). With the Cold War over, such propaganda has no value, so neither does sending people to space.

Colonization of other planets is a pipedream. Unless and until we achieve some sci-fi breakthrough in propulsion, which enables us to send over hundreds of people at once, no so-called colony will have a viable population. And even then, there's still no viable place to live out there. We MIGHT be able to make an atmosphere, but we can do nothing about the lower gravity and the lack of magnetic fields of Mars or even Venus. Thus, colonists will have to live underground to escape the radiation and will waste away from low gravity, so after a few generations it will no longer be a human colony but that of a separate species of atrophied troglodytes, who are physically unable to visit Earth.

Which is why I volunteered my ex-wife for Mars One ;)

Plusm it's highly unlikely that any of us will still be alive to see it happen. Of course, they have to do it, but we have 6 billion years to do so.

Don't get me wrong space is still amazing and space flight is awe inspiring, but am I the only one here who wishes their pre teen years were in the 50's-60's

Well yes, but mostly because I would have been able to drink in my office.

For all this, they perform no useful function that can't be automated, other than posing for a photo-op at the destination (and even that can be Photoshopped in later).

A single Apollo mission did more useful work in three days than Opportunity rover in eight years: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/04/why-space-exploration-is-a-job-for-humans/255341/

Colonization of other planets is a pipedream. Unless and until we achieve some sci-fi breakthrough in propulsion, which enables us to send over hundreds of people at once, no so-called colony will have a viable population.

What about project Orion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4k_YZAXSEI. This was a very real project in the sixties until cancelled in favor of Apollo. The technology exists, it just needs to be developed.

And even then, there's still no viable place to live out there. We MIGHT be able to make an atmosphere, but we can do nothing about the lower gravity and the lack of magnetic fields of Mars or even Venus.

Radiation on Mars is not bad at all: http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/2012/11/27/radiation-mars-expected-curiosity-measurements-suggest/

Lower gravity effects are not yet well understood, it's not a strong argument.

Anyway, what do you want to do? Have humankind live on Earth forever until extinct?

Of course I have! I've seen the ISS over me many times and have watched numerous shuttle missions trailing behind it, its amazing.

:) I think part of the fun of it, aside from the fact that there are people there, and we put it up there, is the fact that it's almost like clock work. Especially if you use the SatTrack app. It tells you right when it's going to pass over, and what direction its coming from and it is usually pretty accurate, pending cloud cover of course. Granted it's all just "simple math", but it almost seems like magic sometimes.

I just bought my first telescope after a year of research

Man, I'm 32 and have been wanting a telescope for a few years and still haven't managed to get one. Granted I want the rather large computerized ones that cost around $3k and are capable of tracking orbital objects. :D

If you don't have an adaptor for hooking up a digital camera, they make adaptors for phones that hook up to the normal eye piece. With the quality of the cameras in phones these days the photos aren't all that bad. I got a few photos of the mu...errr moon from my in-laws little 70mm scope with my phone that turned out pretty reasonable.

A single Apollo mission did more useful work in three days than Opportunity rover in eight years:

In the 60s, automation was in its infancy so many more things had to be done by people. That is no longer the case. The reason Opportunity and Spirit didn't do much is because they weren't built to do much more than drive around slowly. Send something the proper equipment (that's property designed, built, and sterilized, unlike Curiosity, for example) and it will do MUCH more than humans ever will be able to on Mars.

What about project Orion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4k_YZAXSEI. This was a very real project in the sixties until cancelled in favor of Apollo. The technology exists, it just needs to be developed.

While the technology for the ship itself might exist, the technology to make it happen does not. It doesn't matter what we might be able to assemble in orbit if we can't get the pieces off the ground in the 1st place. Earth's not-insignificant gravity well, lined as it is with substantial aerodynamic drag, is a tarpit out of which every single lugnut and washer for every vehicle, station, or base must be forcibly dredged. That's what's keeping us stuck on Earth.

Conventional rockets ain't gonna get us there; they have known limits that physical laws will never change. There are scads of alternative ideas for getting stuff to orbit, some more plausible than others, but no matter how you slice it, none of them can deliver more than an Airstream trailer to orbit at one go, even if they actually work, and it would take hundreds, if not thousands, of such launches to create a ship like Project Orion. And then hundreds more to carry up enough people to make the trip worthwhile. That's just not ever going to be economically viable without sci-fi technology.

I personally don't believe in UFOs because I'm sure all the aliens out there have exactly the same problems we do. But I really hope some alien race has somehow defied physics as we know it and come up with a reactionless drive, and that some drunk alien comes here and hits a tree, and we can reverse engineer his ship. Because otherwise, there's no escape. But I think this scenario is about as likely as me winning every lottery in every state every week for the rest of my life.

Anyway, what do you want to do? Have humankind live on Earth forever until extinct?

It's not a question of what I WANT. I play KSP, I played Orbiter. I flew hundreds of Estes rockets as a kid. I can quote most Star Trek episodes line-for-line. I used to design and build very complex spaceship models out of posterboard and crew them with HO-scale figures from Airfix.

But wishing doesn't make it so. Get used to Earth and learn how to deal with its problems right here because there's no escape.

Chances probably aren´t too bad.

The game carters to people with an above average IQ and an interest in space and even teaches them certain basics about spaceflight.

Therefore many KSP players definitely would be in a good position to get the qualifications to become astronauts

From a statistical standpoint not unlikely that one of the many players of KSP will (siuccessfully) try a career as astronaut.

May also happen the other wa round ... i.e. people who already are Astro-/Taiko-/Kosmonauts becoming interested in KSP.

After all, AFAIK we already count NASA emplyees among the KSP players :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.