How Do I transfer ships from an older save file?

A vast majority of ships in my .20 save are in orbit. For the life of me can't think how the game will break from those, It would be nice if I can add them to my new save without having to relaunch each one. I just got KerbalEdit but don't see such feature.

Edited by WhiteWeasel

Doesn't your old saved game load in 21.1?

I'm worried that because it's an old save it might be a bit glitchy, I'm not sure if duna or minmus affected either. Plus I'd still have to move my .21 space station if I went back.

First, of course, make a copy of your old save. Maybe more than one.

Then, put that persistent.sfs in the folder of a new, blank .21 save. When you try to load it, the game will note that it's outdated and offer to try to upgrade it for you.

If all goes well (as it did for me), this process will go off without a hitch and you can simply continue.

If it doesn't, then... well, here's what it sounds like you're asking for:

Open your old persistent.sfs, find the VESSEL entries for your ships in orbit, and copy and paste those sections into the new file.

(My only caveat is, given how things seem to be set up, I don't see how this would be successful if the first approach wasn't. It's still going to need/ask to convert those ships... or maybe not, if you're only copying VESSELs and not the rest of the file.)

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!

First, of course, make a copy of your old save. Maybe more than one.

Then, put that persistent.sfs in the folder of a new, blank .21 save. When you try to load it, the game will note that it's outdated and offer to try to upgrade it for you.

If all goes well (as it did for me), this process will go off without a hitch and you can simply continue.

If it doesn't, then... well, here's what it sounds like you're asking for:

Open your old persistent.sfs, find the VESSEL entries for your ships in orbit, and copy and paste those sections into the new file.

(My only caveat is, given how things seem to be set up, I don't see how this would be successful if the first approach wasn't. It's still going to need/ask to convert those ships... or maybe not, if you're only copying VESSELs and not the rest of the file.)

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!

How do you merge 2 persistence files? Also just curious for future updates, say they were going to revamp minmus like the moon. It was going to break your save because of new terrain, but would removing all land objects prevent that?

Edited by WhiteWeasel

You don't 'merge' them, per se. Either you copy your old saved one over a new blank one, overwriting and replacing it, and hope it works, or you start a new blank one and then cut and paste (only) the VESSEL sections of the old one into the new one.

And as I said, please please PLEASE make a backup copy of your old save first, and don't touch it, so you always have something to go back to.

I made back ups, but another problem is that the font is so huge I have a hard time seeing what I'm reading.

Like this, it takes up the whole page and I can't see the full line

If the font is too big, then change it to something smaller.

For the persistant file.

Open it with a text editor (like notepad / wordpad / anything pad that load text really)

you first want to open the old save persistant file (the one called persistant.sfs)

do a search for the name of your ship

it will be on something like that

VESSEL
{
pid = ...
name = ShipName
type = Probe
sit = ORBITING
landed = False
ORBIT
{
}
PART
{
}
PART
{
}
ACTIONGROUPS
{
}
}

copy and past it all to the new save under activeVessel in FLIGHTSTATE.

for the crew, in the persistant file again,

copy the crew you have in the old file. not the idx number

and on the ship, you should have a crew= and put that number in.

Also, have you tried to simply load your save, convert it to .21 with the in game tool and then just delete everything else you don't want with the tracking station, and then you will have the persistant file you want with the ship?!

I made back ups, but another problem is that the font is so huge I have a hard time seeing what I'm reading.

{ annoying font tag removed here} Like this, it takes up the whole page and I can't see the full line {/font}

The persistence file is just raw ascii text. It contains zero font markup information in it at all. If the font is large that's your text editor program's fault, not KSP's fault. Change the font in your text editor settings.

If the font is too big, then change it to something smaller.

For the persistant file.

Open it with a text editor (like notepad / wordpad / anything pad that load text really)

you first want to open the old save persistant file (the one called persistant.sfs)

do a search for the name of your ship

it will be on something like that

VESSEL
{
pid = ...
name = ShipName
type = Probe
sit = ORBITING
landed = False
ORBIT
{
}
PART
{
}
PART
{
}
ACTIONGROUPS
{
}
}

copy and past it all to the new save under activeVessel in FLIGHTSTATE.

for the crew, in the persistant file again,

copy the crew you have in the old file. not the idx number

and on the ship, you should have a crew= and put that number in.

Also, have you tried to simply load your save, convert it to .21 with the in game tool and then just delete everything else you don't want with the tracking station, and then you will have the persistant file you want with the ship?!

How Much of it do I have to copy, it just keeps going on and on.

You have to copy all the ship. so the more part you have on your ship and the more line you have to copy.

Thankfully the file in indented so it makes it easier to see when the { start and when it stop } at the same indent.

You could try to slowly delete what you don't need in the file until you have just the ship you need.

On an easier note, trying to find a save file editor would be easier and can avoid mistakes. a quick google and I ended up with http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kerbaledit-take-control-of-your-ksp-data/

I haven't tried it, and I am sure there is plenty of them out there, so give them a try

You have to copy all the ship. so the more part you have on your ship and the more line you have to copy.

Thankfully the file in indented so it makes it easier to see when the { start and when it stop } at the same indent.

You could try to slowly delete what you don't need in the file until you have just the ship you need.

On an easier note, trying to find a save file editor would be easier and can avoid mistakes. a quick google and I ended up with http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kerbaledit-take-control-of-your-ksp-data/

I haven't tried it, and I am sure there is plenty of them out there, so give them a try

I already tiried that one. As far as I can see it only allows editing with in the save, to between them.

This is what the top and bottom of the code should look like when in between other stuff?

EDIT: I tried to copy the ship there but it overwrites the save.

Top:

{
name = Deep Space Q.S-Dr
flag = Squad/Flags/Horatio
}
}
}
}
}
FLIGHTSTATE
{
version = 0.21.1
UT = 233940.948549081
activeVessel = 0
VESSEL
{
pid = 90fbaa84ecde42b4ac5b196599b6972a
name = Destronis Station
type = Station
sit = ORBITING
landed = False
landedAt =

Bottom:

Custom07 = False, 0
Custom08 = False, 0
Custom09 = False, 0
Custom10 = False, 0
}
}
}
{
version = 0.21.1
UT = 149054149.797258
activeVessel = 72
VESSEL
{

Edited by WhiteWeasel

With the tool, you could edit all the other ships out of the save file so you only have one ship on it. making it easier to find.

You should only have one FLIGHTSTATE in a save file.

and all the VESSEL are inside that FLIGHTSTATE.

If the save file is not too big, upload it somewhere and share it so I can have a look and show you.

My new save only has one flight active: my 195 part space station.

http://www./view/8af33a587mo2w25/persistent.sfs

Don't forget the debris.

I couldn't test it because I don't have your mods. So you will have to be the tester.

since your save file have already a lot of Kerbal, I have removed all the crew from the station to be sure there won't be duplicated name/kerbals.

and inside the other save file:

http://www./view/faabd28b7and5ef/persistent(2).sfs

You should have your space station without crew, you just need to send some crew up there now.

Again I couldn't test it because I don't have your mods, so delete your KSP.log file inside KSP folder, and give it a try. If it doesn't work, let me know the error and the last 15 lines of the log file.

Aww crap, it was just mechjeb. But massive thanks.

EDIT: Balls, it didn't work I believe, does nothing when I click on resume save. Give me a moment to troubleshoot.

EXC 15:54:57.255] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:54:57.750] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:57.790] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:01.277] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:01.319] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:02.201] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:02.243] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:03.055] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:03.095] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:03.837] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:03.877] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:04.372] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:04.412] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:05.469] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:05.509] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edited by WhiteWeasel

It may be my bad perception, but for the life of me I cannot find that } :confused:

Could you highlight it for me? Sorry for the trouble. EDIT: ?I used ctrl + f and put } and it could not find it.

[ERR 15:54:52.709] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:52.767] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:54:54.041] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:54.082] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:54:56.681] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:56.721] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:54:57.215] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:57.255] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:54:57.750] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:54:57.790] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:01.277] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:01.319] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:02.201] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:02.243] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:03.055] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:03.095] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:03.837] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:03.877] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:04.372] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:04.412] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[ERR 15:55:05.469] [GamePersistence Error]: No ROSTER node found in save state
[EXC 15:55:05.509] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edited by WhiteWeasel

Funny, Just did that, but I have this problem, It's still stuck on resume save doing nothing when clicked on.

EDIT: hopefully this is what you meant by fix.

Custom10 = False, 0
}
}
}
ROSTER
{
CREW
{
name = Jebediah Kerman

But it still won't let me resume save.

Edited by WhiteWeasel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.