Possible Planet Additions (Revised)

The detail in these are amazing! I really hope these get added into the game. All I want to ask is how did you do the 3D modeling? I've never really done anything like this before, so I have absolutely no idea on how you did all this amazing artwork and details.

I use a mix of Photoshop C3 and Universal Sandbox. Also thanks, I'm glad you liked these concepts.

Speaking of which, Samio, would you please make normal maps for there planets so they can be compatible with kragrathea's planet factory mod.

You mean adapt these planets for the mod?

Edited by Samio

Why doesn't this thread have more attention? I mean, this is really amazing! I want to see these in the game, especially Bombarda! Do any of these planets have any geological feature on them or are they just drawings?

Currently they are just drawings, I don't plan on adding much else to the current planets in terms of coding them in or adding more stats unless it is shown that either the developers or a modder have shown an interest in them. I will add more images and planets overtime though, stay tuned! :D

Using universe replacer, real solar system, and planet factory, you could theoretically add these planets in (with the exception of their height maps) by changing existing planets, you should try editing cfg files for real solar system to change the orbits, size, and gravitys/atmospheres and universe replacer to change the textures. You couldnt rename them though.

Cool but:

1. I don't think you should say planets harbour life I their gonna go in KSP. Aliens are on the don't suggest list and as humans we have never ever seen any extraterrestrials and the chances of the Kerbals seeing 2 instances Is like 1x10^1000000000000000000 ( ^ Signifies 'to the power of')

2. Having another laythe like planet is cool, but if their we're 3 of them it would kinda lose its unique awesomeness that makes it so tempting for players.

Apart from that these are mind blowingly awesome and if planets even a fraction of this awesome were added I would be blown away. Good job!

Cool but:

1. I don't think you should say planets harbour life I their gonna go in KSP. Aliens are on the don't suggest list and as humans we have never ever seen any extraterrestrials and the chances of the Kerbals seeing 2 instances Is like 1x10^1000000000000000000 ( ^ Signifies 'to the power of')

2. Having another laythe like planet is cool, but if their we're 3 of them it would kinda lose its unique awesomeness that makes it so tempting for players.

Apart from that these are mind blowingly awesome and if planets even a fraction of this awesome were added I would be blown away. Good job!

Thanks, I am aware that the fact that life may exist on these bodies might not make it suitable for addition. However, as stated at the top of my post, the stats for these planets may be changed if necessary in order for them to be suitable for addition.

Cool but:

When they said no Aliens i thought they meant other intelligent life. Taking away microbe life and plant life, etc. Seems a little too extreme.

I'm quite certain Bombora is well within the limits of still being a planet. Jupiter is around 318 Earth masses and it would take 70 times that in order for it to start nuclear fusion. And no, there is nothing inside it preventing fusion from occurring, it just isn't massive enough to start fusing hydrogen.

Its listed mass is not too high, but planets cannot become larger in volume than Jupiter without igniting. Without an incredible amount of heat to push the material outward, adding material will only cause the planet to increase in density. A brown dwarf 60x the mass of Jupiter has approx. the same diameter as Jupiter. Thus a gas giant the size of Bombora could not exist in the real world.

Its listed mass is not too high, but planets cannot become larger in volume than Jupiter without igniting. Without an incredible amount of heat to push the material outward, adding material will only cause the planet to increase in density. A brown dwarf 60x the mass of Jupiter has approx. the same diameter as Jupiter. Thus a gas giant the size of Bombora could not exist in the real world.

Oh you meant in volume, the reason I believe Bombora would be larger in that department would be because of its proximity to its star causing it to expand. Kinda of like how the so called "hot Jupiters" have much larger than expected diameters due to the heat they absorb from their stars.

I like all of these planets, some of them will have to look much worse in game though. Like Cite, the green is plants right? That means it would have to use the in game tree sprites and the Kerbin grass. Might look good from orbit, but not up close. Blalo is really cool and it reminds me of the northern rivers on Kerbin.

Oh you meant in volume, the reason I believe Bombora would be larger in that department would be because of its proximity to its star causing it to expand. Kinda of like how the so called "hot Jupiters" have much larger than expected diameters due to the heat they absorb from their stars.

Yeah, but Bombora is still way past that theoretical limit. Astronomers discovered a planet with an 80% greater diameter than Jupiter and they thought that was nearly impossible. That's the largest planet found yet. Bombora has a diameter around 5x that of Jupiter.

Yeah, but Bombora is still way past that theoretical limit. Astronomers discovered a planet with an 80% greater diameter than Jupiter and they thought that was nearly impossible. That's the largest planet found yet. Bombora has a diameter around 5x that of Jupiter.

5x? It's only 110% of Jupiter's diameter, not 5 times.

Seems to have been changed. I liked it better the other way :(

Yeah I noticed what you were going on about and realized I accidentally added an extra number, turning the original 110% size into half the size of the sun. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

But you preferred the larger version? You realize that if it was implemented into the game at 1/10th scale, it would be half the size of Kerbol?

is this available as a mod yet?...i'd love to have this AND the Krag system...

...yes sir, my computer can handle another set of planets !!

Not currently, but I'm planning on making a few height maps so that when the Planet factory mod updates, I can add them in.

Great job Samio.

I love all of them except Blalo tbh. That massive river-y ocean, or ocean-y river, is a wee bit unrealistic and doesn't really do it for me, but I'm loving the rest of them.

*edit: just curious; you said that you had created these bodies before KSP, and I'm just wondering what inspired you to create them?

(you might have already answered this, but I don't have time to read the entire thread atm.)

Edited by little square dot

Great job Samio.

I love all of them except Blalo tbh. That massive river-y ocean, or ocean-y river, is a wee bit unrealistic and doesn't really do it for me, but I'm loving the rest of them.

*edit: just curious; you said that you had created these bodies before KSP, and I'm just wondering what inspired you to create them?

(you might have already answered this, but I don't have time to read the entire thread atm.)

I have been fascinated by astronomy since I was a child, and starting in the 5th grade, I began drawing my own little solar systems. If you visit my deviantART page and check my gallery, one of the folders is planet scraps. This a a few of the designs I drew as I child that I uploaded.

http://samio85.deviantart.com/gallery/45935753

You can also check out my latest work there as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.