New Astronomical Body Textures.

With the latest update I think that Kerbin and the Mun look great. I had to land there again, it needed to be re-explored. I also think that Eve was improved as well, however I haven't landed there just yet. I would like to offer the suggestion of a prominent mountain rage on Duna. I'd like to see something like Olympus Mons. It could have a caldera at it's peak and lava flows at the base. Also the features should be so elevated that you have to land directly inside the caldera or on the mountain to explore it. Having real geography that suggests the natural forces that formed it would be a great way to indicate where resources are on all the planets. Real geography would also be an imputes to explore more of that planet. From the standpoint of the developers I think it would be possible to modify real geologic features by stretching, squashing, masking, and overlaying to create realistic looking extraterrestrial places. I'd also like the ability to name features that I have discovered within my copy of the game. I have provided a topographic map of Olympus Mons to illustrate what I mean. I don't think we should forget that we paid for these images with out tax dollars, so why not use them.

This will take you to Wikipedia's Olympus Mons page.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Olympus_Mons_Topography.png

Edited by edallison655321

Moho, Duna, Eve and Laythe were reworked in the new update, along with Kerbin and the Mun, and the planets will keep being worked on as the developers gain new skills and tools to create interesting terrain. It's really just a matter of developping those tools and getting things to work, just as the procedural crater generator for the Mun. It will come down the line, although I doubt we will see such a thing as the Olymous Mons. Needless to say that Mars is totally geologically inactive, so there is no Lava or Caldera anymore at the top of that volcano.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.