How to change a part

Ok hope this is the right place to post ..

i want to change a part in how it looks size and fits on my builds, the TacFuelBalancer is nice and all but i dont like the way it looks or fits i was thinking about making it look more like Z 1k Rechargeable Battery Bank.

iv tried it and it keeps changing the back to the original Tac, what did i miss or is there more to it?

P.S

i dont want to change the mod it self just the looks of it

I don't know that part, but you could change the .cfg of the file to load another model instead of the normal one.

I would copy the part folder you want to change and rename it with the name you want.

- delete everything but the .cfg

- open .cfg

in the cfg change

name= mynewtacfuel

delete

mesh = model.mu

and put instead

MODEL

{

model=Squad/Parts/Electrical/batteryBank/model

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0

rotation = 0, 0, 0

}

change all the node stack

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1108553, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1108553, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

You can change the title/description if you want.

Change the attachment rules

allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

You will have a Z1 like part that would be your tacfuelbalancer.

the node value and surface attachement are taken from the z1 pack cfg.

thanks

if it doesn't work, you can paste the cfg here and I will have a look if you want.

this is what i got, the part does indeed look right but i have no nodes and i dont have the window come up on the launchpad but that may be do to it has not been up dated to .21.1 yet but still if i can get the part to fit then i just have to wait for the update thanks for your help

name = TacFuelBalancer Z5000

module = Part

author = TaranisElsu

Edit i did get the window to come up by fluke by pressing the ESC to leave the pad

MODEL

{

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0

rotation = 0, 0, 0

}

change all the node stack

Change the attachment rules

allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

cost = 600

category = Science

subcategory = 0

title = Z5000 Fuel Balancer

manufacturer = Thunder Aerospace Corp.

description = The Z5000 is the newest to the TAC family, Allows transfering fuel to maintain vessel balance.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.001

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.02

minimum_drag = 0.02

angularDrag = .5

crashTolerance = 15

maxTemp = 3200

MODULE

{

name = TacFuelBalancer

}

Edited by MissMolly

hummm

tacfuel is available for .21 http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/tac-fuel-balancer-v1-0/

and it remove the needed parts so you don't even have to bother with changing it :) it is a icon on the screen apparently

Release v2.0

- All windows are now resizable and feature scroll bars.

- Can now edit the fuel amount before launch  for launching empty tanks or reducing the amount of solid fuel in boosters. Can also fill a Kethane tank with Kethane on the launch pad for testing purposes.

- Can dump fuel  this can be disabled through settings if you do not want it or are afraid of accidentally clicking it.

- The Lock feature is now linked with the flow state on the part (in the part’s right click menu).

- Disabled if out of power or the vessel is not “controllableâ€Â. (Sorry, no integration with RemoteTech. I will have to look at that later.)

- No parts are needed! There is now an icon at the screen edge (default to top right) that is used for showing and hiding the main window. The icon can be re-positioned to anywhere along the screen edge.

as of information only:

name = TacFuelBalancer Z5000 v2[COLOR="#FF0000"] Important to have a different name than an existing one or the game could crash[/COLOR]
module = Part
author = TaranisElsu

MODEL
{
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

[B]//[/B]change all the node stack [COLOR="#FF0000"] Comment are marked with // sign, else it may bring an error to the part[/COLOR]

cost = 600
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Z5000 Fuel Balancer
manufacturer = Thunder Aerospace Corp.
description = The Z5000 is the newest to the TAC family, Allows transfering fuel to maintain vessel balance.
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1 [COLOR="#FF0000"] It's here for the attachment rules not before (not sure if it change but better safe than sorry)[/COLOR]

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.001
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.02
minimum_drag = 0.02
angularDrag = .5
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3200

MODULE
{
name = TacFuelBalancer
}

Also I forgot to say but you need to reload all the parts if the game was started already. Either restart the game fully (long) or go to the space center and alt+F12, debug tab and reload all.

Well, is there a reason for (many, most) mods to have a part on the vessel to be usable?

I could do without a part in Chatterer, Protractor, MJ, KerbEngi ... :)

I am just starting to get to KSP plug in development so I am not sure but I would guess the reasons could be:

- only activate the plugin for a specific ship (kerb eng, MJ)

- easier to implement a part feature than a game feature, and there are more tutorial for part modding than gameplay modding.

MissMolly, you are welcome.

Well, is there a reason for (many, most) mods to have a part on the vessel to be usable?

I could do without a part in Chatterer, Protractor, MJ, KerbEngi ... :)

Chatterer 0.5 no longer requires a part.

The only reason it ever did require a part was because I didn't yet know how to make it any other way. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.