Making the ASAS Advanced

Now that the ASAS doesn't stabilize your craft like it used too, I propose that we actually make it advanced and give it some MechJeb-esque capabilities. No, I'm not talking about autopilot, I'm talking about hold x heading or point prograde and other options like that. I personally think that this could be useful for most rockets.

I'm confused by the premise here. Why doesn't the ASAS stabilize your craft as it used to? What problem are you experiencing?

If the new ASAS isn't working for you, file a bug. When it's working as designed like in C7's video it's just straight up superior to the previous ASAS (and from what I hear it's working that way for most people).

Disclaimer: I haven't played 0.21 yet as I'm completing a challenge on 0.20.2, so I'm just going off the forum buzz.

Well, with .21.1, the SAS system works as intended, it holds rockets nicely. The only thing keeping me from an update is mods. Not all my mods have compatibility fixes so :(. Soon as everything I use is done, I will be updating my modded KSP install to .21.1

I'm confused by the premise here. Why doesn't the ASAS stabilize your craft as it used to? What problem are you experiencing?

If the new ASAS isn't working for you, file a bug. When it's working as designed like in C7's video it's just straight up superior to the previous ASAS (and from what I hear it's working that way for most people).

Disclaimer: I haven't played 0.21 yet as I'm completing a challenge on 0.20.2, so I'm just going off the forum buzz.

The ASAS just provides torque now, just like the SAS.

The ASAS / Avionics package functioning as a basic flight computer would be a good idea. :) With the capability to hold heading or altitude, as well as being able to lock onto manauver nodes.

The Avionics package could have more plane orientated features, such as maintain altitude or attitude relative to the horizon.

If it could also calculate aerobrakes, as well as dispaying a target on atmospheric and non-atmospheric bodies for where you will impact taking into account atmospheric drag.

That would be very useful as well.

I'd like to see the ASAS part become a differential thrust computer, allowing asymmetric engine placement without the rocket flipping out (it would adjust thrusts of individual engines)

Aren't the SAS (old ASAS) and the Inline Reaction Wheel parts (old SAS) now pretty much identical after the 0.21.1 update? It seems to be that it'd make sense to have some sort of GUI on the former, since they both now have SAS and reaction wheels built in...?

I just want SAS to hold a course while my craft is under thrust.

Isn't it already the case?

Sure, "old" designs (one ASAS only) are out of luck and lack the power to keep straight, but when I added a reaction wheel + a battery pack to the top and bottom, my ship stayed its course the whole burn, in and out of atmo. I may have got the complaint under 0.21.0, but 0.21.1? 2-3 reaction wheels are enough to keep it headed in a straight line.

Now, re: the original thing (Smart A.S.S and landing predictions)... why not.

For landing predictions, the best way IMHO would be that the trajectory would just "change course" in atmo, kinda like MechJeb is calculating it right now. That'll keep it manual enough and not add any extra interface.

For Smart A.S.S, a thing resembling the MechJeb one to orientate the ship and/or kill rot could be useful. But I'm not betting on that one being in the stock game (we're getting too close of the "no auto-pilot" rule).

I'd like to see the ASAS part become a differential thrust computer, allowing asymmetric engine placement without the rocket flipping out (it would adjust thrusts of individual engines)

Anything to make the ASAS worth using would be great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.