.21 SAS - do the three parts function the same?

Hakuryu

I searched and looked, and read through a bunch of posts. This is not a topic about how the .21 SAS works, but what exactly the three rocket SAS parts do now.

All three of the rocket SAS modules look like they do exactly the same thing, but the wiki seems to say the two small parts (Inline Advanced Stabilizer and Inline Reaction Wheel) are what they used to be; the old ASAS is still needed to control surfaces/rcs/etc while the Reaction Wheel is old SAS with a new name.

So what is it? Do all these parts function the same, and it's just aesthetics and size for variation? Or do they pretty much work like they used to, needing one Inline Advanced Stabilzer with perhaps multiple Reaction Wheels?

Can't figure out the large part at all... still says ASAS, but the stats are the same as the other two pieces, and no mention of a 'computer'.

They all have exactly the same function. The only difference is the size and mass of each part.

Only the avionics package is different as it doesn't have any reaction wheels.

If that's true, why didn't the 2.5M ASAS get a description redo?

If that's true, why didn't the 2.5M ASAS get a description redo?

Because 0.21.1 was hastily released and there are clearly many aspects of the SAS system and their parts that need to be fixed.

So the avionics package is useless since all command pods and probes provide for SAS???

The chair doesn't have the SAS module, so you can could conceivably use the avionics package on a small craft with only the chair, and no probe cores or reaction wheels of any kind. It would still be controlling RCS, winglets, or engine gimbaling, so it's not totally useless, just mostly.

SAS works fine for me :)

For me too, I just mean that a lot of the details could be tweaked. The torque from the inline reaction wheels, for instance, seems a little high, maybe that could be reduced and the 2.5m part's torque could be increased. Or a smaller reaction wheel part could be added with less torque. And the varying mass values make no sense, parts with seemingly identical function have different masses, and the biggest part is the lightest.

Dedicated SAS-only modules are now useless for everything, with the lone exception of vehicles with only a control chair. This includes the avionics package.

Hopefully, this was just a slight overlook, and they intend to fix it as soon as possible.

Here's my question: Why is the 2.5 meter reaction wheel unit lighter than the two 1 meter reaction wheel units.

I think it's because the inline reaction wheel and reaction wheel module have torque capability also while the larger one is control only (which now that all probes have SAS capability isn't very useful anymore)

I think it's because the inline reaction wheel and reaction wheel module have torque capability also while the larger one is control only (which now that all probes have SAS capability isn't very useful anymore)
Actually, it has the same amount of torque as the small ones.

Must've changed with 0.21.1 cause it didn't have a text showing torque before but you are correct now it also has torque .. probably they forgot to also update the mass.

Actually, it has the same amount of torque as the small ones.

Can someone explain the difference between the two 1.25m reaction wheel parts (the old yellow ASAS and grey SAS)? Both have the same torque values, the same mass, and they are both SAS-equipped. What's the deal?

They don't have the same mass when I read their stats. "Inline Advanced Stabilizer" says mass 0.5, while the "Inline Reaction Wheel" says mass 0.3. However I think those masses may be messed up, since the "Advanced S.S.S. Module, Large" says its mass is 0.2.

All of these parts now do the same things: They provide SAS control, and they have reaction wheels to provide torque (in the same amounts). The only reason that BOTH the "Inline Advanced Stabilizer" and the "Inline Reaction Wheel" are available is to make old ships that had those units installed still work under the new SAS system.

but the wiki seems to say the two small parts (Inline Advanced Stabilizer and Inline Reaction Wheel) are what they used to be; the old ASAS is still needed to control surfaces/rcs/etc while the Reaction Wheel is old SAS with a new name.

The wiki is badly out of date, it needs help. I started but limited time

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.