Individual Labelling for Action Group Actions

Something that's becoming a little frustrating for me with some of the excellent mods around that needs attention IMHO.

Where a part has multiple actions that use the default modules (e.g. parachutes, activation animations etc.) there seems to be no way to provide a custom label for each action. The example I just tripped up on was on BobCat's Orion capsule (in the American Pack). His parachute system accurately simulates the Orion parachutes, i.e. braking chutes that deploy at high altitude, then these are cut and 3 main parachutes deploy at lower altitude.

To make this system work right in some cases (low altitude aborts) you have to cut the braking chutes manually. The issue at hand is there are 2 sets of chutes using the standard parachute module. Both have a 'Deploy' and a 'Cut Chute' action in the Action Groups menu. It's *complete* guess-work trying to figure out which is which because there's nothing differentiating between them.

Is this mod developers not understanding the workings of the system fair enough. Point me to the info to solve it and I'll pass it on. If, however, this is a shortcoming with Squad's system it would be better id there was a way to label the module you are activating so for e.g.:

in the .cfg:

MODULE {

name = ModuleParachute

actionLabel = "Main"

MODULE {

name = ModuleParachute

actionLabel = "Brake"

in the Action Group menu for the part:

Deploy (Main)

Cut Chute (Main)

Deploy (Brake)

Cut Chute (Brake)

Although this isn't a perfect example, the point is fairly valid I think. I've seen several mods where there's a lot of confusion as to what action does what or what an action group actually does at all. It might be nice if any Action Group action could be labelled via the .cfg file to have a human-friendly name to differentiate it or describe it better. I HAVE seen some mods (cBBp's Dragon Rider for one) that have custom descriptions but these are for animations not things like parachutes, so don't use the standard modules.

Just a thought...

Edited by MDBenson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.