Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

Air intakes can be surprisingly good aesthetic additions.

ElJUAAW.jpg

This is, as I'm sure people are aware, a Kickback solid rocket motor. Those intakes fit surprisingly well between the ridges at the bottom as is visible in the above screenshot. I'm using them to house vernier thrusters to control the rocket, and they're very effective for that purpose (the fuel tank is at the top of the rocket motor; having MechJeb helps a lot for adjusting burn times so the main rocket and the verniers burn out at the same time).

514aGdl.jpg

Here's what it looks like zoomed out. It's a subtle difference, but I'm quite pleased with how it looks. It's a nice alternative to fins.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if/when this was mentioned before, but I finally had the idea to post it myself.

For a while now I've been doubling up RAPIER engines by turning one of the two 45 degrees, and then clipping the two together. The picture explains it better.

ANYLgQj.png

Therefore, double the power for the exact same volume! Pay no attention to the increased mass.

But come on,

FERGPIh.png

You have to admit that looks cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Being able to move both ends of struts now opens some possibilities....

3cegkY0.png?1

I think Squad changed the struts and they now sink into the ground. Easily fixed though with some Linear RCS ports...

NRdZAXO.png

Edited by Foxster

• 2 weeks later...

Turn fuel cells backwards, take out the electricity, and disable input to make yourself a nice black in color flat part, it could be used theoretically in SR-71 replica's as well as car replica's, etc, if made to a scale where they are applicable, as such:
L9EmqES.jpg

Edited by He_162

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Not really a guide for aesthetics but very useful when building cars with jet engines, the boost flap. Special request by @He_162.

Woah... can I see a video of this in action? That sounds incredible :)

@Azimech Awesome! I remember using your boost flap design for one of my KSP Dakar challenge vehicles (before I pulled out due to a corrupted save file) with the Juno engines, but I couldn't get it to work with Panthers. I have a few questions about it:

1. To make it work with Panthers, would you just need to angle the flaps more, or use bigger flaps so they reach all the way to the middle?

2. How would boost flaps affect the thrust vectoring of the Panther, and how would the thrust vectoring on the Panther affect the boost flap?

3. Does this extend to even more jet engines?

A similar imgur album or video on this would be greatly appreciated, and would be put into use immediately on my fighter jet designs.

Many thanks again! :)  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

when i click a link on the leading to the techniques it doesn't take me to the techniques it just takes me to the top of the front page, any solutions? 

Be a man and scroll through all 44 pages of this thread. Tea, coffee, or other recreational drink reccomended

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 9:59 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

To make it work with Panthers, would you just need to angle the flaps more, or use bigger flaps so they reach all the way to the middle?

It seems all you need to do is to move the flaps inwards more.

• 2 months later...

I didn't want this thread to die, but I didn't really have anything to add... until now

Step 1:

Get annoyed that the fairings have weird stripes.

RydOydu.jpg

Step 2:

Add 0.625m fuel tanks like so. You may have to offset them a bit

iOhNCUA.jpg

Step 3:

Add a small nose cone or a fly-by wire

XEamoYl.jpg

No more ugly stripe!

I've found that this trick can also save a kerbonaut in a head on dive.

Also, this trick only works for fairings with a slope similar to the one in the picture. Other fairing shapes might work with different nose cones, but I haven't checked.

Edited by PaperAviator

Has anyone found a combination of parts to stick landing gear to Mk3 cargobays without intruding inside? the nearest I've come is using Mk1 fuselage/nosecone & a few pylons to try and fill the gaps, but honestly it looks terrible. This is using b9 pWings but the shape of the fillet is almost identical to the FAT-50 pylon, and the problems are exactly the same too ( and even with mod craft I try & keep modded parts to a minimum if there's a stock part that works ).

24617561448_2aae3021c8_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Has anyone found a combination of parts to stick landing gear to Mk3 cargobays without intruding inside?

Have you seen those small decoupler struts that vaguely resemble wing parts (I can't remember what they're called but they're not hard to find)? Stick the landing gear on those and just disable the decouplers.

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Have you seen those small decoupler struts that vaguely resemble wing parts (I can't remember what they're called but they're not hard to find)? Stick the landing gear on those and just disable the decouplers.

You're thinking of structural pylons? they sorta work ( although things can get a bit bendy, and strutting landing gear I've found can be a bit buggy ) but they do kinda look like you just put the gear on stalks. Stock needs half-cylinder structural pieces...

On 11/17/2017 at 10:56 PM, Van Disaster said:

You're thinking of structural pylons? they sorta work ( although things can get a bit bendy, and strutting landing gear I've found can be a bit buggy ) but they do kinda look like you just put the gear on stalks. Stock needs half-cylinder structural pieces...

You could just make one out of wing panels. Or radiators. Those are a favorite aesthetic part of mine.

Holla everyone i like to remake JetFighter in real live to KSP and here is the result 

isjsKYD.png

bn0k7pa.png

F-22 RAPTOR

SwxK7Q1.png

LiQU4o3.png

Sukhoi PAK FA 

ZKiq6aS.png

And here is comparison between each JetFighter (Sukhoi PAK FA looks small than F-22 cos i cannot find identical SHAPE and SIZE for cockpit Sukhoi PAK FA, therefore i have to make with another cockpit and make the body FIT with it, maybe you can make one ? hahahahaha :D )

Edited by DiscoveryPlanet
want to add more text

22 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Absolutely nowhere does it say that these construction techniques have to be stock.

On the other hand...( I'm not trying to noob-bash or anything) no real techniques were given. Just look at this cool thing I made, which isn't really the purpose of this thread.

please dont get offended moderators.

53 minutes ago, qzgy said:

...no real techniques were given. Just look at this cool thing I made, which isn't really the purpose of this thread.

That's very true. Though I was responding to the idea that this thread has to be stock-exclusive; there's nothing in the original post to indicate that it does, and with something focused on aesthetics there's no reason to exclude mods unless it's a "how good can you make things look with only stock parts" thread.

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

That's very true. Though I was responding to the idea that this thread has to be stock-exclusive; there's nothing in the original post to indicate that it does, and with something focused on aesthetics there's no reason to exclude mods unless it's a "how good can you make things look with only stock parts" thread.

Yes, your original point is still valid, I will admit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.