Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

I just want to contribute a new technique that I'm exploring. In the interest of keeping craft color palates constant, consider two main "part-sets" for keeping stuff monochromatic, plus some accent colors:

LX41iUy.png?1

Light: White fairings, radiators (static)

Standard: Jet fuel tanks/Structural fuselages, wings, airbrakes, landing gear, ladders, solar panels (stowable), Inline Clamp-o-trons, air intakes, backs of radial air intakes. RCS balls. The rectangular prism probe core.

Blue: Solar panels, gravioli detectors - warning: they are not the same color blue

Dark Grey/Back: Backs of small fuel cells, backs of deployable communatrons, ore tanks

Medium Grey: Large Fuel Cell backs, solar panel backs, I-beams, atmospheric spectro-variometer backs, structural panels. Small LFO tanks. Thermometer backs.

A lot of what I've been exploring recently is the uses of the last couple items in each list. They really allow you to get creative and attempt to eke out that last bit of detail in a craft.

That seems pretty obvious, but I want to narrow in on on item - landing gear. 

c1ezkwm.png?1

Here, a trio of extra-large landing gear form the bulge of the lift fan on a F-35. This may seem a really niche role, but look around and I gurantee you'll find places for these extremely usefully shaped parts. Another interesting aspect is on display here - the grey tips. Look how it blends into the cockpit area.

KB1Rd2R.png?1

Here, the tips form the nose of the F/A-18, allowing me to sculpt the Hornet's uniquely shaped nose. Another fun trick - lay radial inline scoops side-by-side and flip them around to make a small but long part with a standard color. For use where elevons will look bad and wings won't fit. 

G9jUp3W.png?1

Now you might chalk this trick up as a different way to make noses and bizarre bulges, but that's overlooking the fact that the larger gear are flat on top. That allows for creating some very interesting geometry - for example: the intake duct on the Dassault Rafale, captured with two radial air intakes, an extra-large gear, and then three large gear.

0SljwNu.png?1

Another useful note - landing gear don't have any noticeable lift, so you can angle them in ways that you really couldn't with wings and have good aerodynamic performance. Here, I combine two large and an extra large intake to form the cockpit bulge on a F-22 Raptor. Also, take a look at the nose - it's crafted with two medium gear and three radial intakes.

5pabUx6.png?1

One final trick and a half: Capping ends and embracing highlights. I was trying to finish this shape here on the F-22 again, using radial air intakes to sandwich wing panels and create smooth body panels, but I couldn't figure out how to cleanly transition to the end, when I tried adding the small landing gear you see here. The gear were too small to cover the black intake ending (medium gear were too large), so rather than abandon the idea, I tried to incorporate the chevrons into the design by lining up the ends of the intakes as best I could.

I hope this inspires a couple of you to look at some of your parts differently!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fairings can be used as structural girders:

Place fairing base, reduce all fairing paramaters to minimum, disable staging and enable interstage nodes and struts.

Copy the fairing base and set the copy aside, disable interstage nodes, attach the fairing copy using its interstage nodes to the first fairing base (dont forget to rotate it by 90°).

Disable interstage nodes of the second fairing and enable them on the first one, now attach part of your choosing to the interstage node and offset it away from the base of the second fairing (you can now disable interstage nodes on first fairing too).

pXR7A9mg.png

Increase front section heat resistance.

I have been working on a efficient Eve ascent vehicle and I was trying to find a way to achieve a specific end goal and through enough testing I succeeded.

I tried to find any way if I could make the front sections of my vessel more heat resistant so I could allow myself a sharper and faster gravity turn to minimize the Delta-V requirement for a Eve ascent.

It turns out if I attach a normal heatshield (0.625m is all that is required) and then move it outside of the fairing I can drastically increase heat resistance. Of course this turns out to create a lot of drag, however, if you rotate the heatshield vertically it still works and you have none of the drag penalty.
In my testing I tried to accelerate a 2.5m stack vessel with a 2.5m fairing on top with 2 vertically rotated heatshields sticking outside the top. I did a speedrun at 500 ASL and without the heatshield trick the fairing and the rest of the vessel would explode just under 1800m/s.

With the fairings though I could hit just about 2000m/s before exploding.

This is how it should look like.

a8CuD4d.jpg

Edited by Aeroboi

And another one :)

Let's suppose you want the same fairing shape on all your vessels. You cannot save fairing shapes as subassembly now can you? Maybe not how you'd expect but in fact you CAN!

Although it does require you to rebuild the fairing each time.

JOKS1o2.jpg

4z1TyYJ.jpg

84AMutC.png

V8GLEA4.png

Then reattach the fairing base to any node you want it then build the fairing towards the segment markers (rcs ports) then remove the rcs ports afterwards. I copied several fairings and each of them looked identical and had the same dimensions in the engineers report.

Edited by Aeroboi

• 2 months later...

It's kind of obvious but you can use vectors to build asymmetrical rockets(with only one srb) to make a rocket like this :

eBq0a6j.jpg

It feels nice and new. and if you angle the booster right it won't effect steering

Edited by lapis

• 1 month later...

I've been building a B-2, and needed a good way to make a simple bomb bay with a flat bottom. Of note, @HB Stratos used a variant of this technique on his TSR-2, but I didn't realize it at the time I built this craft.

BGbP00g.png

The trick is remarkably simple, and relies on clipping two cargo bays into each other, and combining the two flat sections on the Mk2 body. A cross section is below

aosHxG7.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today, after years of being on the Forum, is my first post on this Thread. I see new ideas popping up on the Craft being shared and often wonder where these ideas are coming from. I would think many come from sharing ideas here so I will be following this Thread starting today. Edit: (Went back one page and saw 2017, I guess it's a little quite on here :/)

Here is an idea for what I think is a first of it's kind for a Stock Landing Gear with a new look.

GIF: https://i.imgur.com/VL7OMBk.mp4

led1tay.png

Edited by Castille7

This one isn't running as smooth as I would like, but it is working. I am in the process of smoothing the function. I am calling these long Tubes I made that act like rails Slide Tubes. Don't know if there would even be a proper name for it? They are also acting as a Slide Rail for the Door.

This is for a Garage Door that I am working on.

TR90tuo.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Castille7 said:

This is for a Garage Door that I am working on.

Lookin good my friend.

'Been working on a robotics car but I don't just wanna slap a motor on each wheel, I need something more, so I'm fiddling with driveshafts and 4wd and crap.  I got to this point and figured someone, somewhere will want speed and power at a right angle in a small package without craft separation.

There's 5 sets of u-joints at 18degrees for 90degrees total.  4 and 3 sets are possible for lower parts count, but janky-ness increases.  2 sets at 45degrees doesn't work well.  A 6th set changes the total angle from 18 to 15 and that didn't seem worth it, so here we are at 5.

Edited by klond

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Regarding rotors, service bays and drag

Rotor inside service bay, service bay CLOSED: rotor is shielded from drag. Rotor cannot produce any thrust.

Rotor inside service bay, service bay OPEN: rotor is exposed to aerodynamic forces. Rotor can produce thrust.

It is possible to shield from drag, even when some small parts of the rotor are outside the closed fairing. Offsetting the blades is not needed. You can check this with aerodynamic forces displayed in action menues.

It is best to the "Display aerodynamic forces in action menues" or something similar in ALT+F12 --> Physics to check, whether or not a part is exposed to aerodynmaic forces.

If it is exposed, the numbers will change constantly. Even if the craft is standing still on the runway.

Same goes for hiding other parts in fairings: you can check whether or not an engine or tank is shielded from aerodynamic forces with this. For many engines, you can find a sweet spot, where the part is shielded from drag, but can produce normal thrust without heating the fairing up.

Here is a picture of a rotor assembly with open service bays. (Small motor, R25 Rotors, 1,25m service bays.) It can produce thrust with open service bay. When we transition to rocket flight, we power down the motors, lock it up and close the service bays to reduce drag. You can also see some fuel tanks sticking slightly out of the fairings. They are shielded form drag as well.
xXgUR3E.jpg

Picture from this craft:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XE-01-APEX-Mk-VI-Eve-SSTO

Edited by Mephisto81

• 1 month later...

Speaking of techniques, i've shared some of them in a serie of videos:

1 hour ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Speaking of techniques, i've shared some of them in a serie of videos:

Awesome videos!

• 2 weeks later...

AGbVdLf.png?1

As requested by @pTrevTrevs, here's a tutorial on making stock fold-out solar panels! Specifically, this is just my own process for making a fairly compact folding mechanism while maintaining clean surface aesthetic. 

I should also preface this by saying that this does require using the Breaking Ground DLC.

WW2DEsk.png?1

First, a small point on solar panels. Before building your mechanism I suggest pre-constructing your individual solar panel segments. 

For each individual panel I like to use a single small root part such as a cubic octagonal strut or a grip pad. Doing this makes it easier to move and manipulate your panels while building or tweaking your mechanism. 

II7BKvX.png?1

Also, a tip for blending solar panels together: You can hide the borders between panels by rotating and offsetting each panel inwards slightly toward the center.

u9EHQFh.png?1

Now for the mechanism itself. Here I'll be constructing a simple accordion-style folding mechanism with four identical segments.

For these I like to use the G-00 Hinge since it's small, light, and allows 180° rotation which is just enough for this type of fold.

To start off I have the four hinges attached end to end. 

TIVym5O.png?1

Next we'll set each hinge's target angle to its fully-deployed position. For an accordion fold I set each hinge to 90° or -90° in an alternating pattern. 

pym4sPY.png?1

Then we offset each hinge so that they are level and equidistant to each other. Having your hinges on the same plane ensures a more compact fold. 

fnHeBsH.png?1

Now we attach the solar panels to each hinge. For the most compact fold, make sure that your hinges are centered directly under the spaces between the panels. 

eQRFbgg.png?1

And finally we test the mechanism using the KAL-1000 Controller. This is just to let us view and tweak the folding sequence from the editor.

Note that for the first segment we only need 90° of rotation, so it has been limited accordingly. The other three hinges are set to rotate the full 180°.

You can also control your hinges directly by binding "Set Maximum Angle" or "Set Minimum Angle" to an action group. When doing this remember to set your hinge's traverse speed to be proportional to its rotation range.   

mm2bSV2.png?1

Now for something slightly more complex: The folding mechanism for a Soyuz solar array. This mechanism is unique in that segments 1 and 4 fold inwards while segments 2 and 3 fold outwards to conform to the body of the spacecraft. 

This leads to a slightly different hinge setup.

IH10KnP.png?1

Here I have some hinges rotated slightly to get the rotation axis closer to the surface. This generally leads to a cleaner unfolding sequence. 

C6kKPPc.png?1

Solar panels attached. Again, ensure that the hinges are centered directly under the spaces between panel segments. 

SgeNWP5.png?1

For more complex folds like these it helps to first manipulate each hinge individually to fold up the mechanism. Doing this lets you find and set angle limits for each individual hinge. 

I hope that covered everything. If you have any questions let me know!

14 hours ago, tehmattguy said:

AGbVdLf.png?1

As requested by @pTrevTrevs, here's a tutorial on making stock fold-out solar panels! Specifically, this is just my own process for making a fairly compact folding mechanism while maintaining clean surface aesthetic. 

I should also preface this by saying that this does require using the Breaking Ground DLC.

WW2DEsk.png?1

First, a small point on solar panels. Before building your mechanism I suggest pre-constructing your individual solar panel segments. 

For each individual panel I like to use a single small root part such as a cubic octagonal strut or a grip pad. Doing this makes it easier to move and manipulate your panels while building or tweaking your mechanism. 

II7BKvX.png?1

Also, a tip for blending solar panels together: You can hide the borders between panels by rotating and offsetting each panel inwards slightly toward the center.

u9EHQFh.png?1

Now for the mechanism itself. Here I'll be constructing a simple accordion-style folding mechanism with four identical segments.

For these I like to use the G-00 Hinge since it's small, light, and allows 180° rotation which is just enough for this type of fold.

To start off I have the four hinges attached end to end. 

TIVym5O.png?1

Next we'll set each hinge's target angle to its fully-deployed position. For an accordion fold I set each hinge to 90° or -90° in an alternating pattern. 

pym4sPY.png?1

Then we offset each hinge so that they are level and equidistant to each other. Having your hinges on the same plane ensures a more compact fold. 

fnHeBsH.png?1

Now we attach the solar panels to each hinge. For the most compact fold, make sure that your hinges are centered directly under the spaces between the panels. 

eQRFbgg.png?1

And finally we test the mechanism using the KAL-1000 Controller. This is just to let us view and tweak the folding sequence from the editor.

Note that for the first segment we only need 90° of rotation, so it has been limited accordingly. The other three hinges are set to rotate the full 180°.

You can also control your hinges directly by binding "Set Maximum Angle" or "Set Minimum Angle" to an action group. When doing this remember to set your hinge's traverse speed to be proportional to its rotation range.   

mm2bSV2.png?1

Now for something slightly more complex: The folding mechanism for a Soyuz solar array. This mechanism is unique in that segments 1 and 4 fold inwards while segments 2 and 3 fold outwards to conform to the body of the spacecraft. 

This leads to a slightly different hinge setup.

IH10KnP.png?1

Here I have some hinges rotated slightly to get the rotation axis closer to the surface. This generally leads to a cleaner unfolding sequence. 

C6kKPPc.png?1

Solar panels attached. Again, ensure that the hinges are centered directly under the spaces between panel segments. 

SgeNWP5.png?1

For more complex folds like these it helps to first manipulate each hinge individually to fold up the mechanism. Doing this lets you find and set angle limits for each individual hinge. 

I hope that covered everything. If you have any questions let me know!

Magnificent... the only thing I wish you could do with servos is make them track a specific body :/ it would be really nice if you could make custom sun-tracking solar panels.

• 2 months later...

Nothing new for sure, but sometimes useful:
Airbrakes instead of landing legs.
b1tBgWb.jpg

Airbrakes are installed "inverted", as the hinge is at the back. The frontal part has to be below the center of mass to be able to lift. The upper airbrakes prevent the craft from toppling over.
They weight only 50 kg each, as much as the LT-1 landing struts and half as much as the bigger LT-2 landing struts.
Remove the lower airbrakes from the action group "braking", otherwise it lifts the craft up.

Craft file:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XS-11-Ifrit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.