Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

who knows how to make an arm (i have the expansion)

i want a very movabale arm but i use the blue telescopic and hinges and rotation servos to make it so that it could reach anything 

but when i make it its just so weak and usually messes the whole mission 

so any one ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, Kerbal-fan said:

how do i make stock glass ?????

On 2/13/2021 at 2:40 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Stock glass doesn't exist... :sad:

Flag parts using with semi-transparent flag textures. This example is from Commie_Killer76:

5RFpRfg.png

• 11 months later...

Hello! I see that this thread has been stagnant for a year, wich is quite sad, because it has some great tips!

So, i made a quick and simple post about something i haven't seen to be talked about here, wich are fairing engines (without mods)!

NOTE: i am using Restock, however, it does not affect the process. You can do the same things i did with a completely stock game.
ALSO: Yes, this could be considered cheating, as you can clip many engines in to a small space. But if you want to, you could just add one!

First, you will need a fairing, i chose the simple 1.25 meters fairing.

Spoiler

Wa6zyuH.png

You will need to flip it upside down:

Spoiler

RZPbTau.png

Then, you start making your combustion chamber:

Spoiler

KgRlTdJ.png

Mf7ln0t.png

Then you make the throat and the engine bell:

Spoiler

2lpAiil.png

You can change the fairing color so it looks better, i chose a metalic color.

Spoiler

fysGkKg.png

Now, add your engines of choice! I chose the Mastodon, great engines due to their radial attachment!

Spoiler

dPcjxW0.png

Almost done! Now you have to de-activate the fairing expansion and it's staging.

Spoiler

IpE1HRg.png

Good, now, if you want to, you can make a Boat-tail using larger fairings!

Spoiler

yn1Wfqk.png

De-activate it's staging too...

Spoiler

nJTIvzP.png

And done! (NOTE: this might look better than in stock due to Restock and WaterFall, but i assure you, you can make great engines with this technique!)

Spoiler

M1Q0S86.png

VHW1iAn.png

You can use  fairings to make MANY things! Like a huge TurboJet as an example:

Spoiler

go5Snoc.png

vsIAWrg.png

Or a low power and efficient engine:

Spoiler

1duHDyl.png

hI51BB3.png

OR Sea-Dragon worthy engines!

Spoiler

V4zTNi2.png

FmUmbib.png
; )

Basically, you can use fairings to make custom looking engines. Imagine all types of engines! Huge! Weird! HUMONGOUS! Nuclear!

You can even make dual mode engines by adding two diferent engines onto the same Fairing Engine!

Thank you for reading this, i hope you have some ideas for great engines! I wish you all well. Bye!

Edited by Davi SDF
Typos and formating

Shenaningans with drag and engine plates!

Fairings and engine plates are both useful for drag shielding.
Engines plates can also support many more nodes than intended!

For reasons unknown, engine plates with a shroud do not only shield the attached parts at the back, but also the part at the front.
We can use this, to shield the whole body of a craft from drag:

mC8U0m0.jpeg

This is a very small and basic lander for JNSQ. The whole body, the engines and the docking port at the back are shielded from drag. Only the engine plate itself produces a small amount of drag.
As slowing down with a dragless body is impractical, wings and elevons provide lift and drag when needed for reentry and crossrange capabilities.

TPmZXA3.jpeg

xLcpKmA.jpeg

A 1.25m fairing is the basis.

An engine plate is added to the fairing. Shrouded engine plates have some unique features: they shield the parts at the back from drag AND they shield the part in front of it from drag as well for reasons unknown. This way, the fairing, the engines and the docking port are shielded from drag.

SFeL4vQ.jpeg

To activate the shroud, a part needs to be added at the back. Here, a reaction wheel is added to activate the shroud and the magical shielding properties. In this state, the reaction wheel would still produce significant amount of frontal plate drag. To avoid this, it is later offset inside the fairing to be shielded as well.

cacKfXw.jpeg

There is a trick to add more items to the engine plate:

after we have already used the 4+1 nodes (the docking port is offset for a better view), the engine plate can set again to new nodes, where additional parts can be added, all shielded from drag when inside the shroud.

w8ukrX2.jpeg

Time for a check on the runway! All relevant parts are dragless. Only the elevons, the wings and the airbrake now produce drag (and lift).

Link to the craft:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/Dolphin-Mk-I-dragless-lander-for-JNSQ

Link to the imgur album with the whole construction process:
https://imgur.com/gallery/KAeSTGX

-Mephisto-
(Flying like a leaf in the wind! Without drag? How?)

Edited by Mephisto81
Formating.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, Mephisto81 said:

Fairings and engine plates are both useful for drag shielding.

I had no idea that engine plates had any aerodynamic effect at all! In my SSTOs I used structural tubes and fairings to achieve the same result. I could probably both improve them and eliminate the making history dependency with this technique.

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, Davi SDF said:

Hello! I see that this thread has been stagnant for a year, wich is quite sad, because it has some great tips!

So, i made a quick and simple post about something i haven't seen to be talked about here, wich are fairing engines (without mods)!

NOTE: i am using Restock, however, it does not affect the process. You can do the same things i did with a completely stock game.
ALSO: Yes, this could be considered cheating, as you can clip many engines in to a small space. But if you want to, you could just add one!

First, you will need a fairing, i chose the simple 1.25 meters fairing.

Hide contents

Wa6zyuH.png

You will need to flip it upside down:

Hide contents

RZPbTau.png

Then, you start making your combustion chamber:

Hide contents

KgRlTdJ.png

Mf7ln0t.png

Then you make the throat and the engine bell:

Hide contents

2lpAiil.png

You can change the fairing color so it looks better, i chose a metalic color.

Hide contents

fysGkKg.png

Now, add your engines of choice! I chose the Mastodon, great engines due to their radial attachment!

Hide contents

dPcjxW0.png

Almost done! Now you have to de-activate the fairing expansion and it's staging.

Hide contents

IpE1HRg.png

Good, now, if you want to, you can make a Boat-tail using larger fairings!

Hide contents

yn1Wfqk.png

De-activate it's staging too...

Hide contents

nJTIvzP.png

And done! (NOTE: this might look better than in stock due to Restock and WaterFall, but i assure you, you can make great engines with this technique!)

Hide contents

M1Q0S86.png

VHW1iAn.png

You can use  fairings to make MANY things! Like a huge TurboJet as an example:

Hide contents

go5Snoc.png

vsIAWrg.png

Or a low power and efficient engine:

Hide contents

1duHDyl.png

hI51BB3.png

OR Sea-Dragon worthy engines!

Hide contents

V4zTNi2.png

FmUmbib.png
; )

Basically, you can use fairings to make custom looking engines. Imagine all types of engines! Huge! Weird! HUMONGOUS! Nuclear!

You can even make dual mode engines by adding two diferent engines onto the same Fairing Engine!

Thank you for reading this, i hope you have some ideas for great engines! I wish you all well. Bye!

how do you just stop the fairing construction mid-fairing-build to be able to make things like that? i can never do it. at best i can use a fairing and make it into a 1.5m to 2.5m adapter or similar

4 hours ago, Astra Infinitum said:

how do you just stop the fairing construction mid-fairing-build to be able to make things like that? i can never do it. at best i can use a fairing and make it into a 1.5m to 2.5m adapter or similar

Alt+LeftClick, iirc

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dockable RAPIER with Shielded Docking Port

I found that a Shielded Docking Port can be nicely offset into a RAPIER to provide handy rear docking for small spaceplanes.   It also (as I recall) provides a useful reduction in drag on the RAPIER, leaving the front of your stack clear for an inline intake or whatever else.

When closed, the engine operates as usual.  When open, the docking ring protrudes just a little bit further out of the back, allowing docking as normal.

https://imgur.com/a/3TnmeWN

3GfvunV.png

I always bind an action group to toggle the docking port and disable (not toggle) the engine.   Throttling up the engine while the port is open is a good method for emergency explosive separation! :D

... don't forget some RCS.  Docking manoeuvres using this without RCS are possible, but inadvisable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2022 at 1:44 AM, Mephisto81 said:

Only the engine plate itself produces a small amount of drag.

Offset the fairing so that the engine plate in inside it, I tried it, it works. Completely removes drag.

Now, overheating comes with drag - no drag, no overheat, perfectly safe reentry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.