Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

A bit pushy, but Gus can you update the OP?

Soon. Sorry :(

Now, let's do some nuclear drive pods! First, take your tug or what have you and attach an upside-down regular C7 adapter.

http://i.imgur.com/iBU2QYe.png

Now, attach a large SAS unit on top, then the big nosecone. Below, place the FL-A10 adapter and the nuclear engine.

http://i.imgur.com/ZatD6XV.png

Rotate the whole pod to vertical. Then, offset the engine until only the bell is outside the fuel tank. Finally, offset the pods into the large adapter. Like so:

http://i.imgur.com/44mgUSF.png

If you have clipping concerns, all the fuel is inside the adapter, not the fuel tank. Feel free to +rep if you found this useful!

You're on a roll!

Bored of the look of stock tanks?

Build your own!

-You can activate surface attachment for any part by pressing T while selecting it.

-Use the cubic struts to build large network of parts that can all be moved from a root point at once.

-Once done with 1 side, Select the root cubic strut and mirror it for symmetrical tanks like this one.

Ls6E5AP.jpg

Example Tank

Bored of the look of stock tanks?

Build your own!

-You can activate surface attachment for any part by pressing T while selecting it.

-Use the cubic struts to build large network of parts that can all be moved from a root point at once.

-Once done with 1 side, Select the root cubic strut and mirror it for symmetrical tanks like this one.

http://i.imgur.com/Ls6E5AP.jpg

Example Tank

Hmmm - i think that's only possible with the editor extensions mod :)

Actually no

The only thing editor extension provides is several levels of angle snap, which isn't required.

You can make this with a 100% stock install with angle snap disabled, just gimbals work + several layers of mirroring.

Well, unless they didn't document surface attachment toggling in the VAB, there's no T to toggle surface attachment in stock :)

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/0.90.0

Only way to replicate would be to offset the first part you used for the 'look', turn on the game part clipping debug on, so you'll be able to add another one of your parts on the first part node - offset this new part, and repeat. (Else you'll need at least 1 cubic strut for two parts, ramping up part count)

I'm not against the editor extensions mod (especially as people without it can still load the .crafts made with it) but keep in mind that people won't be necessarily able to replicate some of the techniques made with editor extensions :) (which would end up being a problem on this specific thread, if people see a technique they can't replicate on their own because they don't have the mod:p)

Edited by sgt_flyer

I'm not against the editor extensions mod (especially as people without it can still load the .crafts made with it) but keep in mind that people won't be necessarily able to replicate some of the techniques made with editor extensions. (which would end up being a problem on this specific thread, if people see a technique they can't replicate on their own because they don't have the mod:p)

I definitely agree with you, flyer, but my personal opinion is that it's fine as long as the poster states clearly at the top what mods are necessary for the trick, and that the required mod(s) are also stated in the OP. :)

This one was inspired by a suggestion from Mad Rocket Scientist, so props to him! You can make some clean-looking engine pods with the Mk1 fuselage intakes. This ought to be handy for Dragons! First, flip the intake upside-down and place them on whatever you want.

UbLycfE.png

Now, offset the intake into the pod/tank until just the intake bit remains.

hJS4QCk.png

Now, slap some engines on or in the pod and take 'er for a spin!

TtkoVn1.png

Edited by Zucal

This one was inspired by a suggestion from Mad Rocket Scientist, so props to him! You can make some clean-looking engine pods with the Mk1 fuselage intakes. This ought to be handy for Dragons! First, flip the intake upside-down and place them on whatever you want.

http://i.imgur.com/UbLycfE.png

Now, offset the intake into the pod/tank until just the intake bit remains.

http://i.imgur.com/hJS4QCk.png

Now, slap some engines on or in the pod and take 'er for a spin!

http://i.imgur.com/TtkoVn1.png

Thanks!

Thanks!

I can't give you any more rep :(

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out I'm full of tricks! Here's one I discovered and used this morning while finalizing my Dragon replica.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114777-SpaceX-Dragon-v2-w-Falcon-9

You can make a cool nosecone by placing a cubic strut on top of an attachment node, then putting a Stayputnik on the cubic strut:

IwKVO3n.png

Now, place the 1.25m nosecone on the original attachment node:

reLKNnQ.png

Finally, offset the Stayputnik into the nosecone until the curves match. Now you have a lovely grey nosecone doubling as a probe core!

HODO1cF.png

This thread is getting lonely...

You can make a quick and easy 2.5m heat shield using a Rockomax brand adapter and 8 grey radial intakes. Just slap 'em on the bottom and offset/rotate them just so until they're flush, it's hard to give specific instructions. Beware, though: If you want landing legs there then make sure the legs extend between the intakes, not through them. Otherwise, you're gonna have an... interesting time.

Lyv00Ob.png

HVy77PO.png

More ZuQual tips for ya!

For stations and bases, you can make them look a bit more lived in by placing lit lights offset into structural fuselages. They look like lit portholes, and can illuminate your station or base surroundings while doing so! You can even change their light color using tweakables without altering their appearance.

http://i.imgur.com/zVCvg1b.png

if you offset a gigantor XL so the light just sticks theough the base and deploy the panels before liftoff and allow them to snap off it looks even better

I think you're surpassing sgt_flyer already....

Nice work you have.

Thanks! I'm a fan of the theory that you get more creative crafts if everyone shares their techniques. Speaking of, has the "Trashcan" booster ever bugged you with it's funky yellow color scheme? Have no fear, just offset a structural fuselage into it. It makes it look much more in line with the other two boosters.

Qd5o70q.png

GtxWMeP.png

@zucal

Quite a lot of those techniques you are posting are a creative variation of the offset tool usage :)

Maybe try to post here several of those techniques at once in one well organised post here :) - it'll be easier to track them down :) (or try to edit your previous post when no one else has posted yet :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Quite a lot of those techniques you are posting are a creative variation of the offset tool usage

Maybe try to post here several of those techniques at once- it'll be easier to track them down (or try to edit your previous post when no one else has posted yet :P)

That's true, but I feel it would do nothing but make the techniques harder to differentiate and list. Also, most of them I come up with while building and post then and there. As for them being creative uses of the offset tool... this thread is about techniques for improving craft aesthetics, and all of my tips are just that- aesthetic. :)

I'm pretty rubbish at spaceplanes, although I hope that'll change come the new aero system. So hopefully these come in handy for other people. You can do some fun things with toroidal tanks and intakes:

4o54TIo.png

This is what I did for my biplane I made an age ago.

22F621E84827217AB5236F2974F6B017231AF3D2

Also, Gus is going to have a lot of work to do if hes gunna update the list.. A lot of people are uploading things that really are just 'common sense' aesthetic tips. I'm sure he can peruse the pages and pick ones that are genuinely clever or original.

This is an open message to nobody in particular. Instead of posting every aesthetic thing you do, why not incorporate it into a nice craft.

This page has become so watered down because of people posting stuff that is obvious, simple and in most cases just 'things to do with the offset tool'. There are so few genuinely clever or original ideas here now.. :(

My plane above is a case in point. If I and the other older forum members posted every little aesthetic thing we put into our craft this thread would be a thousand pages long.

Edited by Majorjim

An organized list of my contributions, to make it easier for Gus and to respond to concerns by others: (Toroidal tanks+ intakes and flaps to cover 3.75-2.5m gaps have been removed as I didn't feel they were great tips, nor worth their own post.)

OFFSET-ONLY AESTHETIC TIPS:

Make grey decouplers by offsetting Large SAS units into them.

5LqyrQK.png

Nuclear drive pods through nosecones and adapters.

ZatD6XV.png

44mgUSF.png

Small engine pods using Mk1 intakes. Usable for ullage motor pods, Dragon engine nacelles, etc.

UbLycfE.png

TtkoVn1.pngwYou can make the "Trashcan" booster more appealing by offsetting a structural fuselage into it.

GtxWMeP.png

A C7 adapter makes the Poodle look nicer.

ZAAm2nx.png

Use lit lights as portholes for stations and bases. (No picture required.)

MORE INVOLVED TECHNIQUES:

Use offsetted and rotated grey radial intakes as heat shields.

HVy77PO.png

Use a cubic strut, a Stayputnik, and a small nosecone for a nice, grey, controllable nosecone.

IwKVO3n.png

HODO1cF.png

Make the skipper more appealing using a C7 adapter and an FL-A10 adapter.

7XJzHUY.png

5KRQ0D3.png

Well, that's it. Let me know if a) I should delete the original posts or B) any of these don't deserve to be listed, whether they're not creative, been done before, etc.

I will update the OP later today. I think there are a lot of non-obvious offset tricks on display here, so I definitely wouldn't discourage them.

Agreed there are certainy some great tips and tricks here. I don't envy you sorting them from all the ones that are not though..

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.