Astronaut Complex

Nodrokov

So, I have some questions about the astronaut complex. Firstly, does what you do on your flights affect the applicants (e.g. killing kerbals, landing on the Mun, placing a flag on Moho) and secondly, do the courage and stupidity levels do anything yet?

Does anything you do in-game affect the number of recruitable kerbals that are generated? May seem like a silly question... I only ask because when I started the game I had 4 or 5 in the available-for-hire queue, and after successfully completing several missions the number jumped up to around 12 or 13.

I had found that the list was full of apparently randomly generated kerbals every time I opened the center. I had never seen less than a full screen and as soon as I left and came back in it was full again. Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, but I am fairly certain I have never seen the list be anything other than full when I opened the Astronaut Complex.

If the number of available kerbals does depend on the success of your missions, then it could be awhile before I restart my 100 kerbal mission to Duna that I cut just before the update.

I'd quite like the option to 'retire' Kerbals. I've just had a crew that needed an extremely daring rescue, and I don't think they'd ever want to go onto space again. Seriously, they were heading to the moon when a staging 'malfunction' caused 2 of them to be on a collision course with Kerbin in a lander capsule with no parachute. I had 5 hours to launch a ship, rendezvous with them and land them safely...

Would it have been possible for them to EVA and use the spacesuit thrusters to change their orbit some to avoid the atmosphere?

Couldn't they be found and located afterwards if they had?

That would have made it 10million times easier... I didn't even think about using the EVA suit to bring them into an orbit that was stable before launching the rescue... Thats what I get for being incredibly stupid I guess :P

But I'd still like an option to retire Kerbonauts. I very rarely kill them and need to hire new ones, but I don't want to use the same ones over and over again lol.

That would have made it 10million times easier... I didn't even think about using the EVA suit to bring them into an orbit that was stable before launching the rescue... Thats what I get for being incredibly stupid I guess :P

But I'd still like an option to retire Kerbonauts. I very rarely kill them and need to hire new ones, but I don't want to use the same ones over and over again lol.

Just build a rover, and send them to one of Kerbin's beaches in it. Can't think of too many people who wouldn't enjoy a retirement somewhere beside the sea. You could even build a 'base' there in which they could live.

Building an astronaut retirement community (sufficiently far from KSC so as not to cause lag)... I like it!

The old fart astronauts can sit around and talk about all their old missions.

"Kids nowadays! Fly to the Mün with their fancy-pants ma-nooo-ver nodes. Pfft! When I flew to the Mün, we didn't have no damn ma-nooo-ver nodes! We flew like real kerbals. And we had REAL snacks in those days...like C-rations. None of this chocolate cookie crap!"

Building an astronaut retirement community (sufficiently far from KSC so as not to cause lag)... I like it!

The old fart astronauts can sit around and talk about all their old missions.

"Kids nowadays! Fly to the Mün with their fancy-pants ma-nooo-ver nodes. Pfft! When I flew to the Mün, we didn't have no damn ma-nooo-ver nodes! We flew like real kerbals. And we had REAL snacks in those days...like C-rations. None of this chocolate cookie crap!"

Then an even older Kerbal astronaut walks in "Oh yeah, back in my day we only had one type of engine, had to use fins as landing legs and couldn't even use a map view!" :P

So, I have some questions about the astronaut complex. Firstly, does what you do on your flights affect the applicants (e.g. killing kerbals, landing on the Mun, placing a flag on Moho) and secondly, do the courage and stupidity levels do anything yet?

Probably not. The courage and stupidity levels seem to be total random at this point. Even when you hire a Kerbalnaut with full stupidity and no courage, when you put him in a rocket and start flying with him, his levels are suddenly totally different in the knowledge center. Work in progress I guess..

When I updated the game to have the astronaut complex, Bill and Bob were dead, and in the Astronaut complex I saw them listed as M.I.A., but a while later they returned to my "Available" list. Are the members of the flight crew immortal, or was the game giving me a second chance because I killed them before the update, or is it because they were M.I.A. and not K.I.A.?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.