Trek Inspired Saucer Frigate

First off this ship uses parts from Barrydennen12's original enterprise upload... a link which I have been unsuccessful in finding. Just the base of the saucer and the middle fins. Which he did an excellent job on and I saw no reason to spending hours just to try and reproduce.

It is all stock parts and It will almost for sure need to be placed into orbit around Kerbin, but can handle things itself from there on.

*The best way I have found to quickly and easily edit a big ship into orbit is to first learn how to edit a save file (youtube it) then take up a small easy ship and get it into a good orbit. Now go to the save file and copy the orbit information from that ship into another notepad file and save it... I labeled mine ORBIT INFO and now all you have to do is copy that info and apply it to any ship you want to orbit. Will save you from having the jerky orbit created by just putting in even numbers.

*Also a way to roleplay this is to put a station into that same orbit that could potentially assemble and launch ships and then you can consider ships placed into orbit as being assembled at that station.

But onto the ship... currently there are two versions.

Here are a few pics:

uvxr.png

4cp.png

ohrt.png

mvw.png

I am not an expert in every or any aspect of the game, and if there are issues you notice or suggestions you have, just let me know.

Ship has not been gone over with a fine tooth comb and some parts might be a tad sloppy. I think most looks good, but won't guarantee it is perfect.

It has a high part count at 530 parts but It runs smooth on my computer. Could easily drop below 500 parts if modified to suit your style or needs.

-It has 2 ion powered 1 man shuttles that can be undocked and docked at will and used to transport Kerbals to other ships or stations or used as emergency escape pods.

-The Saucer section can be separated from the Engine section and redocked if needed (a few struts would be lost) Each one can act as a separate craft.

-Ion shuttles can also be undocked from bay and docked on back of saucer section to act as a engines.

-Saucer section can safely land on Kerban or any planet with sufficient atmosphere... it might not land pretty, but everyone will survive. Also Saucer section acts as a very good glider upside down which it will do pretty much naturally, when parachute open fully just before landing it should go upright.

-Currently has missiles attached to the front via docking port Sr... Could easily fly more into space and reload it (undock old and dock new), or build landing craft or probes to dock to front.... So it can be very versatile.

-It is more then capable of getting into orbit around the Mun Minmus or the Sun, hasn't been tested further, but I am sure it could easily make it to Duna and back or even further.

*I use a fuel balance mod to keep fuel evenly distributed, if not you need to manually manage fuel... it wants to drain fuel from smaller tanks and shuttles first before big main tanks.

** To orient ship for control and burns I placed a probe inside the saucer section, just zoom in all the way inside the very front and you will see it, just click and select "control from here" and it will work great. Just watch switching to cockpit view and back as it will reset the controls and you will have to select it again.

Download link:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Trojan_Class_Frig.craft

When on download page right click link and click "save as" make sure it is .craft file format (should be by default) and then save it where you want. If not it will just bring up the text file when you click it.

***ACTION GROUPS***

1 activates ladders and communication

2 toggles solar panels

7 activates engines on the top 4 missiles (just make sure to throttle up)

8 Decouples and releases top 4 missiles

9 activates engines on the bottom 4 missiles

0 Decouples and releases bottom 4 missiles

------------------------------------------------------

Next version is a little bit improved and has different equipment added on it.

Here is a pic

b2x6.png

This version is the better version as I swapped out the useless cmnd module inside the saucer for actual structural pieces... Forgot to do this in the top version. Doesn't change the look of the ship, just the inside center of the saucer.

-Has 2 landers docked on the front that are more then capable of landing and redocking with the ship

-Has 2 communication relay probes or whatever you want to call them (could put more but trying to keep part count down)

-Has all the features of the above version minus Missiles that could still easily be installed if wanted.

Download link for Exploration Version:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Trojan_Exp_Class_Frig.craft

Edited by Captiva

I would say no, due to an extremely high part count that would be needed to do so.... if even possible... I have edited main post to point this out.

I personally find exploring space the best part of the game and just imagine it was launched in parts and assembled in orbit.... Might even be possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.