Fly Me To The Mun

Naten

Fly Me To the Mun

by Naten

based off of the real story behind the Apollo programme.

NOTE: THIS STORY IS STILL IN THE PROGRESS OF BEING WRITTEN. THIS MEANS THAT MORE AND MORE CHAPTERS WILL BE ADDED ON. Stay tuned, they will be here soon. It's only a matter of days, probably day, before the next chapter comes out. Thank you for your understanding, if you do understand. If you don't, please don't flame me too hard.

CHAPTER ONE

rough beginnings

It was just after the first LV-9 was finishing its third test firing when Wernher von Kerman realized that we were never going to get to the Mun on old SRBM's that the United States of Kerbarica captured from Kermany during the war. This is why we're doing this, he thought. He also knew that these LV-9's were not much better than the SRBM's, either. But, he knew it was a start.

The engine sputtered, and a piece of nozzle extension fell off. Flaming through the sky, the metal sheet disintegrated before it hit anything. Everyone in the observation bunker gasped. They knew that if this happened during a real launch, the Kerbalnauts on board the rocket would be doomed.

John F. Kerman had only recently announced that we would land a Kerbal on the Mun in the next decade, but it's been almost a year now, and things were not looking good. The Krussians were probably developing a lander already, and they knew not to brag, everyone at the Kerbal Space Center assumed.

The observers headed back to the vehicle assembly building.

---

It was a warm summer day when a happy Kerbal mother held the baby she had just seen hatch. "It's a boy," she said with a smile on her face and tears in her eyes.

"What's his name?" her husband queried, also crying tears of joy.

"Jebediah," she replied, grinning as happily as a Kerbal mother is whenever her babies hatch and crawl out of their nests. [i know, I know. I am laughing right now. :sticktongue:]

---

Jeb's father brought him to the space center, as it was Bring Your Kerblet to Work day there. Jebediah seemed excited. He was only 1 year old, [about, er, I'd say about 4 Earth years.] but he was developing a huge interest in rocketry already. Jebediah immediately began asking questions.

"Can I ride on the rocket?"

"Not yet, son," his father answered with a smile.

"Will it kill me when I do?"

"No, we hope. It's a risk we take."

"Uh-oh. Sounds fun, but I don't know if I would get hurt."

"Be brave, son, and you'll always succeed," his father said.

Those were the words that made Jeb want even more to be a Kerbalnaut.

Jeb smiled. They walked into the mission controlling main room.

"This is where we control the rockets," his father told Jeb.

"Cool!" Jeb said. He ran up to one of the Kerbals at their respective seat. "What do you do?"

"I make sure the Kerbalnauts follow their instructions," the KSC staff member told him.

"Wow," Jeb said. He soon ran up to another desk, and another, and another, until his father told him to look at the big television screen on the wall.

"Look, son! They're launching a rocket now!"

Jeb was watching.

"The bottom of the rocket is the only functional part. The rest is not yet built, it's just a dummy. They're testing a rocket that will land on the Mun!"

"What's it called?" Jeb asked.

"The Jool 1B," his father replied. "Named after the huge gas planet, Jool."

"Cool, I wanna go there someday!"

"Now, now, son. We need to start on something much easier, like going to the Mun. But then, later on, make your father proud and go there!" his father enthusiastically told his son.

Jeb looked at the screen as the rocket took off and soared into the sky. His mouth dropped open and curved into a smile as he observed it fly into whatever lies above.

"We'll be at the Mun soon," Jeb said. In the long run, he would be right.

CHAPTER TWO

a good start, a bad disaster

The father of now 6-Earth year old Jebediah Kerman was shocked when he heard the news. In preparation for the first Kerpollo launch, Kerpollo 1, a test rehearsal was held on the launchpad. A spark inside the capsule lit the highly flammable oxium gas inside on fire, burning the 3 brave Kerbalnauts, who quickly died. They respawned soon after, though. Still, respawning costs money, and KASA was not happy.

"Kerman! Come here!" The launch director called Jeb's father over.

"Yes?," his father said.

"Kerman! Look! They're getting animals to the Mun already in Krussia!"

"Oh my..."

They watched the screen as a replay of footage from the capsule that Krussia launched to the Mun. It had a dog inside.

The camera switched to the window. Outside, the Mun.

"So, they weren't bluffing!," his father yelled.

"Correct."

"Let's get to work. Go convince the engineers to stop crying like little Kerblets about some little disaster, and keep working! Maybe not with Kerbalnauts so we don't lose any more and have THIS happen again, and maybe without them! Like the Kerblets' remote-control toy rockets, but now on a huge scale! I hear Probodobodyne is making some parts that can do that!"

"We'll contact them A.S.A.P. Good day, Kerman. Let's close up shop, and head home. I'll stay here and tell the engineering directors," the flight director told him.

"Goodbye. See you tomorrow..., I hope, if Jeb does not get mad at something. He's one piece of work..."

"Yeah," the director said. "They're a piece of work, Kerblets are! Okay, bye."

---

Edited by Naten

Actually, Germany only had V-2 SRBM's, and they had plans for a manned icbm, but that was never realized. :) Just FYI :)

Oh, yeah! And the Russians' Semyorka was the first ICBM! OH, YEAH! NOW I REMEMBER! Thanks! :D

Fixing now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.