[1.0.2][May17] SelectRoot2: Fixing stock awkwardness

FW Industries

I added support the toolbar plugin.

There is one minor issue with this, when you select you new root part you will also pick the spacecraft.

It also need a cool icon, feel free to add one :D

You can download it [REDACTED].

The author of Editor Extensions is back after a break and one of his stated goals is to add root selection functionality to his mod. That would be a logical place for it and give it support going forward.

Edited by sal_vager

I added support the toolbar plugin.

There is one minor issue with this, when you select you new root part you will also pick the spacecraft.

It also need a cool icon, feel free to add one :D

You can download it [REDACTED]

Not only is this completely unnecessary but also supremely suspicious for a one time poster. Rar's are capable of injecting code into your OS without you knowing just by opening the rar and nothing else.

Edited by sal_vager

Also, a bug report if I may. When you use this to change the root, it makes that craft invalid to save as a subassembly, even with no clipping. At all. The test worked just fine with originally root part, but when changed, it is invalid.

I've not had a problem with this so far, and I've regularly saved sub-assemblies from altered root craft. can you show post a pic of what you're doing? and is there an open attach node on the new root of the sub-assembly piece you're trying to save?

I have never rooted a symmetrical pieces and would never expect it to work. So many things get automatically applied to symmetry that I would expect Root to fail. Just don't do it. It's not a bug, it's a KSP feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a very serious bug (which my be my fault for using SelectRoot incorrectly, but the bug is so serious that it doesn't matter). The trigger for the bug is bringing in multiple subassemblies which have been SelectRooted to normally non-rootable parts (usually a docking port, ejector, or stack decoupler). When you combine them into one ship, and you try to selectroot anything *or* you try and launch the ship, KSP will simply consume memory loading and re-loading until it runs out.

I can repeat this bug. I will try to get a simpler test case that involves the minimum number of parts and get back to here.

Simple solution: don't do that. Put a dummy probe on top and strip it out during assembly. What you're experiencing is KSP putting a foot down and getting confused.

I do like the simplicity of your solution, but I was still intrigued.

edit: Retracted comment, do not understand coroutines in Mono.

Edited by technogeeky

Now what would be even more awesome is if we could alt-shift click on a part to strip symmetry from it. It's easy to do by editing craft files by deleting all the lines starting with "sym =" but being able to do it in game and combined with selecting a new root.... priceless.

Edward

Towards the end of adding symmetry removal I have come up with something that "should" work to allow you to remove symmetry from a part so that you can then delete/modify it without it affecting the parts it was previously symmetric with (or even select it as root now that it no longer has symmetry). Unfortunately I do not have the toolchain necessary to compile it so I'm putting it out there for someone to build and see if it works. Source code, settings .cfg and license in the download. http://edowner.net/files/StripSymmetry.zip

Edward

• 4 weeks later...
Towards the end of adding symmetry removal I have come up with something that "should" work to allow you to remove symmetry from a part so that you can then delete/modify it without it affecting the parts it was previously symmetric with (or even select it as root now that it no longer has symmetry). Unfortunately I do not have the toolchain necessary to compile it so I'm putting it out there for someone to build and see if it works. Source code, settings .cfg and license in the download. http://edowner.net/files/StripSymmetry.zip

Edward

I took the liberty of turning this thing into a proper project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
When I down load the file I get the blank form document that I can't open. I do have 7zip and have never had this problem.... Any advice?

I've just tried downloading it and it works fine for me. Try redownloading it or maybe try to install the latest version of 7zip if yours is outdated.

It would be so nice if this could be moved from 7zip to just a regular .zip file. 7zip requires a commercial unzipper if you don't want it to keep expiring and refusing to work. (Unless I missed something. That happens a lot.)

The heck? That's a completely different program than the one I have. Huh.

I apparently don't internet well. :(

The downside of Google's "sponsored links" and their position at the lead of search results. Even if you know exactly what you're looking for, there's every chance in the world that some scammy "company" has gamed the system to get their crap showing up first. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.