So I took an asparagus lander to EVE.

Majorjim!

Here is a Sea Level version of the above ship. Same layout, same procedures, 4 Kerbals, with more pairs of tanks and engines, more chutes, and some landing gear mods.

i4a1seE.jpg

mkpwWjB.jpg

I later made an even smaller-lighter SEAV challenge ship, just over 15 tons launched from over 6 km.. Used Nova Punch Aerospikes and 20 kN verniers again.

SUwvvkw.jpg

fBPLazh.jpg

IF90vwK.jpg

gNBuWal.jpg

So, I was issued a challenge to do it with stock parts. So, I did this one. The first pic on the pad is only to verify the mass, 22.53 tons. But you can also see the little rover I added to it on top, for the heck of it, which after re-entry over Eve was jettisoned a few KM up to land by chute.

W29Co84.jpg

r7NYiwR.jpg

3oGXSaY.jpg

jt8Smrm.jpg

jWczbeN.jpg

After dropping the outer tanks, the core is flying with not only an LV-T45 (Perhaps LV-T30, i did all this stuff over a year ago) at the bottom, but also using a number of Rockomax 24-77 radial engines, in different stacked tanks. Fuel lines run vertically from tank to tank, so fuel is only used from the bottom tank, then it is dropped, and so on.

znIJ8HO.jpg

And here it is after making orbit.

gmfCYH5.jpg

And finally, this one. Stock, AND an actual capsule, no ladder-riding. Built to fly a 3-kerbal pod. 229.5 tons.

AkXMga0.jpg

hjzv0PJ.jpg

The Mechjeb numbers for Delta-V do not add up right, nor do the TWR values (below). They sometimes do not with very complex Asparagus-izing and "upper stage" engines that are fired simultaneously, taking fuel from lower tanks.

Sy5ZaDv.jpg

a "dab burn" to help cushion the landing.

nam16Z1.jpg

Or1W5Le.jpg

The stock aerospikes do not have thrust vectoring and the ship was tricky to get to fly right. ANY tilt at all on the ground and it would tend to over-control at launch. So, I ended up adding some RCS thrusters and small RCS tanks to one of the Asparagus tank pairs, to help control it for the first few KM up, after which it was able to stay under control without RCS. In this image some of the RCS firings are visible.

QiWM8bu.jpg

From a test flight on Kerbin, two 1 meter tank/engine pairs just being jettisoned. This one did not have RCS yet, but it's a nice pic of the engines firing.

cBLXcYB.jpg

And here it is, in orbit around Eve.

3XIwsWW.jpg

- George Gassaway

Edited by GeorgeG

So my latest Eve mission appears to be a success. My primary goal was to do a less cheaty landing (using a real lander can, instead of a chair). I used a combination of just adding boosters until the lander was getting pretty heavy, to get the overall dV up as high as I could, and also landing at a high altitude.

I also decided that for this mission, I didn't want any super-long burns (boring), so I used the new KR-2L engines as interplanetary stages. Between all of these, the ship was getting huge, and my first attempt at building a lifter under it, resulted in the whole thing bending over and exploding on the pad, before even starting the engines. So instead, I build the boosters around it laterally, with just one tank+engine under it. This worked.

I used MechJeb mainly for informational displays, and to execute my maneuver nodes (saving time), and to pick a high-altitude landing spot. Both MJ and Engineer were horrifically confused about dV calculations due to all the odd staging.

In the end, I got my lander back up into a 100x160 orbit (overshot a little) and still had almost 2.5k of dV to spare. I was shocked at that. The landing site's altitude (5700m) made a huge difference.

After the rendezvous, the return ship still has about 100 m/s of dV left in that last KR-2L (plus poodles), before it needs to switch to the nuclear rockets, at which point it has plenty of excess dV to use (about 5km/s before switching to the return lander's stage). I'll do my return to Kerbin at the next window.

On pad, 2805 tons:

KSP%202014-04-19%2021-42-27-65.jpg

Approaching orbit:

KSP%202014-04-19%2021-51-23-95.jpg

Circularizing:

KSP%202014-04-19%2021-53-53-24.jpg

Awaiting window:

KSP%202014-04-20%2009-46-56-28.jpg

Mostly through escape burn, after staging to second KR-2L:

KSP%202014-04-20%2010-05-26-29.jpg

Approaching Eve:

KSP%202014-04-20%2011-33-43-90.jpg

Drogues:

KSP%202014-04-20%2018-24-32-78.jpg

Almost down:

KSP%202014-04-20%2018-43-25-50.jpg

Landed:

KSP%202014-04-20%2018-47-37-74.jpg

Those boosters really fly off quickly at first:

KSP%202014-04-20%2021-53-10-17.jpg

Low orbit:

KSP%202014-04-20%2021-59-31-34.jpg

Rendezvous:

KSP%202014-04-20%2022-14-56-36.jpg

Jeb is happy: :)

KSP%202014-04-20%2022-17-10-25.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Nice! It looks like the dV is barely enough from that altitude? How was the fuel reserve upon getting back into orbit?

Thanks for the comment.

Being a challenge to do it as light as possible, the ship should have very little Delta V left, this had 52 m/s. If it had say 200 left over, there would be reason to change the tank set-up to make it even lighter (and an earlier version did have more left over so I changed the tanks). If it was an operational ship, yeah, you'd want to have a nice cushion of 200 Delta V or so (If it was a real-world Earth ship, WAY more! ).

There's lots more info on the Lightest Eve Lander challenge thread here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76153-Lightest-Eve-Lander/page3

Here's a copy of what I posted about the stats after reaching orbit:

Stable orbit achieved.

3HZUI8L.jpg

Data after reaching orbit:

Mass .868 Ton

Orbit 100.149 x 99.790 Km

Delta V expended 8478 m/s

Delta V remaining 52 m/s

Ship file is here: http://www./view/xh32o8z8ehk8ttj/Eve_2014_-_6.craft

Stock plus Mechjeb.

- George Gassaway

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.