A couple of visual improvements

While the game looks really cool (I love kerbals expressions :) the're so cute), there are a few areas that could have an improvement.

- Atmosphere: sometimes the atmosphere gets too bright with white bands but the main issue for me is during the night, the atmosphere simply disappears. In reality, during the night, while the atmosphere does not get light from the sun and looks black, it still absorbs light coming from the sky. That means that stars and the milky way should pretty much disappear near the horizon. Also a little bit of fog would be cool. On the surface of Eve, the sky should not be visible at all at any moment because the atmosphere is so thick.

- Ocean: Right now is just a transparent blue texture. You can see the bottom of the ocean a couple of miles bellow, makes no sense. It would be cool to have blue fog under the ocean so the bottom of the ocean is not visible but you could still see the bottom at the beach areas. Also, having some fresnel effect with a generic blue/greenish cube map would make the ocean look more like flowing water.

- Stars: This is minor but the background have little stars and they look a bit bloby. A cool solution would be to use point sprites with a star texture using carefully generated mipmaps. You can literally have thousands of dots in the sky from tiny 1 pixel white dots to big star like dots in a single draw call.

+1

I didn't dare to say the "new" stars look awful. MUCH to many, MUCH too big*, MUCH too blurry, MUCH too bright ... i get no space feeling any more. Yes this is my oppinion: I hate the current "stars" - they are terrible awful! :0.0: Squad failed replacing stars in one hand with removing auto-exposure. Very big fail...

* Yes, galaxies are big. Look at night sky: There are no galaxies you can see with bare eyes. The most distant object you can see is andromeda galaxy. Its the only galaxy you can see. All other objects are milkyway objects: stars, some nebulas and cluster of stars

Now i have to run fast, do I? Nah, too lazy...:sticktongue:

Im sure the other points you mentioned will be revised in future.

Edited by providus

I think the game has forgotten about trees on Kerbin.

I started playing at .15, but when I see videos of some of the first versions of the game, I definitely notice and really like the palm trees around KSC. I think it would be neat to bring those back.

I didn't dare to say the "new" stars look awful. MUCH to many, MUCH too big*, MUCH too blurry, MUCH too bright ... i get no space feeling any more. Yes this is my oppinion: I hate the current "stars" - they are terrible awful! :0.0: Squad failed replacing stars in one hand with removing auto-exposure. Very big fail...

* Yes, galaxies are big. Look at night sky: There are no galaxies you can see with bare eyes. The most distant object you can see is andromeda galaxy. Its the only galaxy you can see. All other objects are milkyway objects: stars, some nebulas and cluster of stars

Exactly! Earlier KSP Versions (< 0.17 or 0.18? ) had much more realistic stars. Perhaps Kerbals do have hubble telescopes integrated in their helmets? :wink: What is auto-exposure?

- Stars: This is minor but the background have little stars and they look a bit bloby. A cool solution would be to use point sprites with a star texture using carefully generated mipmaps. You can literally have thousands of dots in the sky from tiny 1 pixel white dots to big star like dots in a single draw call.

iirc this is planned, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

W\ On the surface of Eve, the sky should not be visible at all at any moment because the atmosphere is so thick..

This is one thing I potentially am not looking forward to. It'd be nice to see them a little, at times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.