[0.21] Biodome 2 Alpha 6 Final release 03/09/13

Kayaking4autism

Download: License and Source included: http://www./?8bbwoqeldgb8wmh

Spaceport URL: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/biodomealpha42/

03/09/13 Now features solar truss, growing plants, flashing dancefloor, runs a bit better, TV images, hologram, toilets, ladders on grills.

Please give bug feedback reports.

BTW, I got halfway through doing a MODEL {} one that ran a bit better but I'm not releasing it because I am as of today street homeless. Please give donations to all my hard work I have spent on this dome in the past year to my paypal account at: [email protected]

I wish all my followers and friends all the best. Peace out.

I may work some more on it when I have somewhere to live again and my PC is shipped to me wherever that is.

This will be the final release for now, an entire year of my life spent on this.

29/08/13 Screenshots of the soon to be released Biodome 2 alpha 6

gmHkkCG.jpg

I haven't gone away, I've just been very hard at work making this dream of an off world eco-system possible.

fpTix28.jpg All the stairwells are grab-able on both sides. All plants now grow, nothing stagnates. Plants currently auto-regenerate, but plans are to make them stop growing and dying when insufficient food is given.

ghxGzWP.jpg The Polywell fusion reactor is back, and this mod will piss all over kethane and interplanetary once I suss out multiple input multiple output resource manipulation by modifying the kethane converter source code.

Water will become H20 and D20 (Heavy water), the ammonia will become nitrite then nitrate, with the aid of the (not yet implemented bacteria lab), the Potassium compounds will become KNO3 and when you combine Potash, phosphate, nitrate, h20 and CO2 you get Melons, bananas, granola and corn (more plants underway)

fZj8An2.jpg Behold the almighty solar array/heat shield, having problems crashing (out of memory) because there are generations of animation on each fin,, working on reducing that number to maybe 2 or 3 per fin to reduce chug.

vspVTWk.jpg And this is when she's open.

In the meantime, you're more than welcome to download alpha 5, but stay chooned for the latest installment of the flying greenhouse!

06/08/13 Biodome 2 Alpha 5 released:

DOWNLOAD BIODOME ALPHA 5 HERE: http://www./download/bvqn26f2459dloe/Biodome2alpha5.zip

30/07/13 Biodome 2 Alpha 4.1: http://www./?99m1pmh2kz91h9p

new part features: animated airlock cycle!

29/07/13 Old version Alpha 4.0 http://www./?19jkac84rd7pn7b

Flies to the moon, working pressurized VTOL Bay Hangar elevator, automated cycling airlock, automated flipdown door, Watermelon plants that grow from seedling to death and automatically replant themselves (source code available at: http://pastebin.com/Z4w74tcZ )

And here's a video of the dome on the moon growing some food for a long duration stay!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOPogW-iV0

Here are some screenshots as requested:

Kerbal comes out of the ramp showing the dome in all its glory:

Zc1TUug.jpg

The pressurized VTOL bay lift coming down:

IMqwVae.jpg

The lift/elevator takes you all the way to the top! What a view:

uWhwxz7.jpg

Here's the plants after about 20 days:

KFHwB5s.jpg

And the same plants after about 40 days:

uhFshoc.jpg

Here's the new airlock cycle as of v alpha 4.1

9Wuh4hH.jpg

Edited by Kayaking4autism
Biodome 2 Final Release 03/09/13

The melons are really cool. Here is a short list of suggested plants: tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, kale, sunflowers, acorn squash, peas, beans, corn.

The plants could also double as CO2 -> O2 converters. Best Air Filtering House Plants According to NASA

Can you make it so you can right click on the planter box and it'll have a button that says "plant melons" or "plant zucchini"?

Also I just want to say the SIZE of that thing is impressive. How many floors are there? like 20??

Edited by leforian

I'm downloading it now. Looks interesting. Brilliant Idea. Lots of potential for linking this with other mods.

1 suggestion.

Front Door. While admittedly unfinished, I suggest you reconsider your pivot points so as to "hide" the pin assemblies underneath the walkway. In essence, "just flip it over".

I realize this means reworking the door joint, but I think the result will be better, you think?. Maybe make it tri-fold as in a "Z".

I definitely see your hard work, and look forward to seeing it finished out with improved textures. That is an undertaking in itself though, I know.

Keep it up. Looks great.

PS One other suggestion: Add to Spaceport :)

Edited by Papa_Joe
spelling

looks good :) - Downloading now.... - thank you for all your hard work on this new version..

Thanks for your support! Let me know what you'd me to add to the dome or any bugs you find.

The melons are really cool. Here is a short list of suggested plants: tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, kale, sunflowers, acorn squash, peas, beans, corn.

The plants could also double as CO2 -> O2 converters. Best Air Filtering House Plants According to NASA

Can you make it so you can right click on the planter box and it'll have a button that says "plant melons" or "plant zucchini"?

Also I just want to say the SIZE of that thing is impressive. How many floors are there? like 20??

I'll get to work on some more plants straight away!

Won't I need to modify zoxygene for the CO2->O2 conversion?

I'll work on the "plant melons" bit of it once I have more than one growable, non space police enforceable plants to chop and change.

19 floors including the top landing deck currently although there is space for a 19th/20th above the bridge for an officers bar or something I haven't yet modelled, spent the whole of these past two weeks just getting dome up to 0.21.

Wait, so this dosen't have a bunch of crap in it now?

*dls*

I nearly got banned for some of the stuff I was coming out with, besides Megan's been flushed out the airlock, she sold the fusion reactor to a merchant captain for contraband and all her pals consumed the last dome's crop, so we're planting melons this season instead.

I'm downloading it now. Looks interesting. Brilliant Idea. Lots of potential for linking this with other mods.

1 suggestion.

Front Door. While admittedly unfinished, I suggest you reconsider your pivot points so as to "hide" the pin assemblies underneath the walkway. In essence, "just flip it over".

I realize this means reworking the door joint, but I think the result will be better, you think?. Maybe make it tri-fold as in a "Z".

I definitely see your hard work, and look forward to seeing it finished out with improved textures. That is an undertaking in itself though, I know.

Keep it up. Looks great.

PS One other suggestion: Add to Spaceport :)

That flipdoor I did at the last minute because damned robotics or magic smoke works but .dae files have no node collider so I was like "what the hell, I'll do an animated one instead" and it's better than the last ramp by far. Added to spaceport here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/biodomealpha42/

Screenshots?
Screenshots!

Done!

Spaceport link

It looks like you could full the inside up with rovers, fuel tanks, and command pods for living areas. Or will that mess it up? I assume balance is important when launching. Can modules such as tanks and command pods be added on to the inner surface walls and floors or is that a problem?

Any idea why the craft is incompatible?

Is it because I'm using 0.21 and not 0.21.1?

EDIT: Fixed it, but I have no Idea how to fly this thing, it always wants to turn in the atmposphere.

Check your center of mass. Sounds like thrust off center.

Edit: I have never tried flying this so only a suggestion.

It looks like you could full the inside up with rovers, fuel tanks, and command pods for living areas. Or will that mess it up? I assume balance is important when launching. Can modules such as tanks and command pods be added on to the inner surface walls and floors or is that a problem?

No, thanks to one of my most useful parts I ever invented which is the Oreholster, and I've done a really good reskin and made her a bit longer, this part is the blue arm thing. I made a rotortron oreholster too but DR/magic smoke doesn't like no node colliders with .dae, not sure how to do .mu damned robotics.

Anyway I digress, the oreholster you can attach to any surface and you can stack a fuel tank or a decoulper onto it and it's mega strong! just stack fueltanks and kethane modules or whatever around the outside of the VTOL column until your yellow centre of mass is directly above the dot of the VTOL elevator and you won't have any imbalance instabilities.

BTW, I am working on two rovers, one a harvester that goes around the inside of the dome that mows the plants automatically and a pilotable mining machine that extracts the moonrock to bacteria feed which then turns it into potash, phosphate, nitrate, ice(water) to feed into the hydroponics which the granola seed turns into fuel and all the plants produce oxidizer by way of a LOX freezer/compressor module.

Much slower at making fuel than kethane, but can generate fuel from rock and sunlight using bio-technology.

No, it's just hard to fly. Using the craft provided.

Another 2 bugs:

1: After timewarp, it freezes for 10 seconds. Cause:

2: For some reason, after landing on the Mun, I found melons floating around and exploding.

1. Cause the airlockshrouds were too low, I made them higher in blender, doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.

2. melons used to be separate objects, are now all intrinsically embedded into the biodome part.

Big ships take ages to steer, be patient with her, don't throttle up quite so much, only go 1/3rd throttle.

Please have a look at the latest updates I've made to the biodome skip to 3:20 ish if you want a demo of the new granola plants.

ENJOY, expect Biodome 2 Alpha 5 to be released soonish.

THANKS FOR THE ALPHA TESTING AND BUG-REPORTING GUYS!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

These images illustrate the potential of KSP. I'm thinking full IVA with space stations, arcs, bases... yadda yadda...

Cant wait... better start building myself...

StIMCQn.jpg

Biodome Alpha 5 is coming along nicely, however I'm getting chug chug issues, this time the dome is 1/10th the polygon count of Biodome 1 alpha 11 but the folder is bigger mainly because I'm using a lot of huge textures and I've been exercising my ability to do tiled alphamaps instead of repeated bitmaps. I think I prioritized fewer polies so much I'm now trying to work on a balance between a dome that doesn't have too many polies yet doesn't use up massive textures.

The canola, palm trees are all using 2048x2048 textures because they grow, there are 64 256x256 images of each of them at different lifestages:

qmau3SU.jpg

There's also a playing movie in the dome: that's another 64 256x256 frames.

But I redid the arches to look better too:

4ogCwP9.png

Any ideas to optimize it and make it run better please let us know, I want growign plants but ones that aren't either going to hog a tonne of polies or megs upon megs of bitmaps.??

IfGizyO.png

I'm not releasing alpha 5 until I can get the framerate to AT LEAST 10fps even on my quad core, too chuggy otherwise, I'm reducing the res of a lot of the rest of the dome to compensate, every megabyte shaved is a few less fps loss.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.