[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

sirkut: as I have to disassemble the parttools dll to support version 3, I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should send a message to Mu asking for permission (but then, he did point me to the source the first time round). That said, I did take a look and it's only particle stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Great googly moogly, this is the best addon I've downloaded for Blender 3D.

The access to the color schemes and the ability to see how the models are done are the best possible resources for modeling/texturing. This is going to make all of my stuff look soooo much better. I can't thank you enough, good sir.

Note: This works with the most recent version of Blender, and every .mu file.

Ok, tried with Liquid Engine1

Same result...

I can't figure how to copy paste the error and if I click it it goes away so I took a screenshot.

-snip-

What version of Blender are you using?

I had problems with 2.66a, but as soon as I upgraded to 2.68a the import script worked perfectly nearly all the time.

Yeah, that's a blender version error.

BTW: as for why there's little progress, I've got a few irons in the fire: this, Extraplanetary Launchpads and now Damned/Infernal Robotics. And then there's QuakeForge (not as much, but yesterday I finally got a certain sub-project done for that) and work too. I actually have to take time off stuff to play :/.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, that's a blender version error.

BTW: as for why there's little progress, I've got a few irons in the fire: this, Extraplanetary Launchpads and now Damned/Infernal Robotics. And then there's QuakeForge (not as much, but yesterday I finally got a certain sub-project done for that) and work too. I actually have to take time off stuff to play :/.

You're working on Infernal Robotics?

Indeed I am. I've converted it to use PartModule instead of Part, and I'm now getting the GUI to work again.

oh ok, I wasn't aware someone was working on our pack besides me and Sirkut.

Might want to talk to Sirkut about the GUI, is he also aware you are playing with his code at the same time he is working on it?

Wow, what an awesome importer! Thank you so much! I have a problem though. The parts keep on having certain areas of the model black, instead of textured. I tried it last night when I downloaded it, and it worked perfectly. I tried again today, and so far every attempt has given me the same result. For example, the nuclear engine has textured body, but the engine cone on the bottom is black, not textured. Any ideas? :)

Lighting is an obvious one. There's also a very strong possibility the nuke is using an un(der-)tested shader setup path. I'll keep this in mind when I get back to working on the "transporter" (as Greys calls it).

I figured out what it is. In some of the models, such as this fuel tank, for some reason the texture has an area where it is transparent. This transparent area leads to it rendering out pitch black. If you apply the texture in a decal fashion with an underlying colour on the entire model, then the black areas will be coloured according to the underlying colour.

P.S. I am using Cycles for rendering here.

jj8VDj3l.png

Well I sort of feel silly, as I found out the reason for this problem. At the very least, I hope it helps someone else if they run into this problem. If this happens, select the texture in the UV/Image Editor, then press N and find the checkbox called Use Alpha. It will almost definitly be checked. Uncheck it, and the textures will render out perfectly!

Thank you again for this fantastic tool Taniwha! :)