[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

Hey guys,

I'm excited to share that thanks to Taniwha's excellent work on the importer, we now support direct upload of MU files at Sketchfab (yes, we run Blender on our backend to crunch files ;-). Go give it a try!

http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/98386380804/kerbal-space-program-we-have-liftoff

Cheers,

Bart

Great! Too bad there's no script to import whole .craft files.. :(

Great! Too bad there's no script to import whole .craft files.. :(

That would be awesome, yes. Taniwha's told me he's looking in to that option, we'd sure love to add it!

Hey Taniwha, would it help if I sent some beer and pizza your way? ;-)

I'm excited to share that thanks to Taniwha's excellent work on the importer, we now support direct upload of MU files at Sketchfab

That's cool and all, but considering you make the part in a tool that can export to a filetype sketchfab can already read I don't see the usefulness of it really, unless like longbyte1 said you could upload whole craft, support emissive animations etc.

That's cool and all, but considering you make the part in a tool that can export to a filetype sketchfab can already read I don't see the usefulness of it really, unless like longbyte1 said you could upload whole craft, support emissive animations etc.

Sure, but you can also use other tools to create parts, right?

bartv: while pizza and bear would be appreciated, a TARDIS, Delorian, or Gay Deceiver would be more helpful :)

I'm a bit busy testing a new feature in EL, and then I hope to get back to this and some other KSP work I have on the back burner.

I don't see how, any 3d graphics program you can make KSP parts with would be able to export to a format sketchfab already supports.

I'm guessing this feature is going to be followed up on since .mu files have things like animations, hitboxes, and bones, which most file formats don't.

Did you put it in the right place? I've been using it in 2.71 without any problems. I suggest going to #blender on irc.freenode.net to get installation help (there are many people there with the time and ability to guide you).

I use x64 Blender version. This addon works perfectly.

My addons go to:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\2.71\scripts\addons\io_object_mu-master

Note that below "Blender Foundation", it is "2.71", not "Blender".

Here's the directory structure from the ZIP archive. Note, it, too, shows "2.71", not "Blender"

"C:\Program Files\blender-2.71-windows64\2.71\scripts\addons"

Edited by Apollo13

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in heaven. Just started making KSP videos, and importing KSP assets into Blender is exactly what I want to do! I've done a lot of work getting Cryengine assets into Blender.

I'm hoping I can get some Kerbals in pretty soon. So much potential for making videos with those little guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded to Blender 2.72b and the plugin states "there are missing script files" and wont let me activate the tool. I haven't had any issues with it being compatible before ( I always upgrade to the latest version of Blender). Is the Mu plugin going to made compatible with 2.72? No problem reverting if I need to, but the reason i was wondering is this version of Blender (2.72) is suppose to have improved Import/export options for FBX and was thinking this might affect the ability of the Mu plugin to potentially finally be able to import animations and such for KSP parts.

Hello,

First I would like to thank the author of this Blender addon very much! I had been looking for this for a while. :)

But I have a question.

Is this still being worked on? Will there be a functionality to import whole crafts into Blender? I have been searching for a while for a method to get a 3D model of an entire KSP ship (and not just seperate parts). I know this is a bit off-topic; but if someone knows a way to export ships from the game to single 3D models, please tell me, that would be very nice! (I tried both 3D Ripper DX and Ninja Ripper but with no success).

Thanks in advance

Any pointers on using wheel.py please?

I can get it to spit out collider values, but I can't figure out what arguments I need to give it to adjust the settings.

Thanks for the Blender importer, it's absolutely invaluable!

TIA :)

RockoRocks: It is on the back burner, but not abandoned. I work on Extraplanetary Launchpads, Modular Fuel Tanks, FreeEVA (low maintenance \o/), and a new one that hasn't been announced yet. As I need the exporter for various things that it can't do yet, rest assured that it's not dead yet.

lo-fi: your best bet is to read Unity's documentation on wheel colliders, and then remember that Unity expects kg and N, but KSP gives it t and kN (thus the stock wheels are grossly incorrect).

Hehe. Its the interface with the script I'm stuck on. I had a look in the code and found an adjust function, but I couldn't figure out what parameters to give it at command line to do anything other than spit out the collider info.

I could work out that it wanted the name of the .mu as a parameter, and after looking at some python docs I still had a complete understanding fail for exactly what to do for anything else. Can I be really cheeky and ask for an example command for changing any parameter? I can work out the rest from there (unless I'm really missing something).

Cheers!

lo-fi: the idea is you redirect the output to a file, edit it, then pass the file as an extra argument:

python wheel.py wheel.mu > wheel.cfg
vim wheel.cfg
python wheel.py wheel.mu wheel.cfg

I found it easiest to just use KSP's config nodes (I already had the code to read them).

just curious, is this planned to (hopefully) exclude Unity in the Blender->Unity->KSP Cycle? or will there still be some need of unity after all of this is done?

Unity is still important for properly configuring animations, engine/RCS thrust transforms and shaders.

Unity is still important for properly configuring animations, engine/RCS thrust transforms and shaders.

Darn... I have limited internet and Unity doesn't like my internet, or my internet doesn't like it, don't know which...

I'm playing around with it though, would be awesome if I can make some parts with it without unity :)