[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

2 minutes ago, Ghosty141 said:

Any idea why it doesn't work for me :D ? Win10, Blender 2.77a, 64bit, installed on my 2nd disk (so not the one windows is installed on). 

No

(Taniwha - honestly don't know what to recommend here for Ghosty141 to share in way of log file or whatnot, but obviously you'll need more info than that)

I guess the first point is: define "not working".

Things to check:

1. Did you install it properly? io_object_mu (with a version tag if from the github zip) needs to be in blender's scripts/addons directory. If you have trouble with this (or 2), #blender on irc.freenode.net is generally very helpful.
  2. Did you enable the module in user preferences? Searching for KSP finds it easily. If it's not there, see 1.
  3. Does the shift-A add menu have a "Mu Collider" sub-menu? If not, see 2

Also, the tools panel in the 3d view will have a "Mu Tools" tab, the object tab in the properties panel will have Mu Properties (tag and layer), and a Mu Collider section (trigger, size stuff for non-mesh), and the Materials tab will have a Mu Shader section.

File->Import->KSP Mu (.mu) will import an existing model (very good for studying what's needed)

File->Export->KSP Mu (.mu) will export the selected model hierarchy (select the root object), or there's the export button in the Mu Tools tab.

I now tried Blender 2.69,2.70, 2.70a and 2.77a and it doesn't show up. I placed the addon in %appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.70\scripts\addons and in the regular install folder, doesn't work either. Installing from file also only places it in the appdata path so that changes nothing. 

Could it be related to having python 3.5.1 installed? 

After clicking Install from file and selecting the zip folder it just does NOTHING, just switches back to the list. The addon is nowhere to be found.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I haven't used blender on windows since 2005, and that was for only a few weeks, without installing any addons (and it was 2.4something anyway (if not older)). The only suggestion I can make is asking for help on the blender forums or in #blender on irc.freenode.net.

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

I'm sorry I can't help you. I haven't used blender on windows since 2005, and that was for only a few weeks, without installing any addons (and it was 2.4something anyway (if not older)). The only suggestion I can make is asking for help on the blender forums or in #blender on irc.freenode.net.

Fair enough, thanks for the help anyway.

@Ghosty141after you download the zip open Blender and navigate to User Preferences/Addons. Select "Install from file" and navigate to the directory that you saved the package. Install it and then search for "Mu model format" in the plugin list. Enable it and restart Blender.

Edited by Phineas Freak

9 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Ghosty141after you download the zip open Blender and navigate to User Preferences/Addons. Select "Install from file" and navigate to the directory that you saved the package. Install it and then search for "Mu model format" in the plugin list. Enable it and restart Blender.

I don't wanna sound rude but I'm not stupid ^^ I did that, I also moved it in the directoy myself. The addon is getting installed in the right directory, it's just not showing up in the addon tab, i check EVERY addon there and it's not there. It's suuuuper weird, sadly there is no way to debug the process :/ Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Edited by Ghosty141

Ok... Interestingly, i just grabbed Blender 2.77a, after uninstalling 2.76 a few months ago...
Got it installed, and went to add the Tool... Came here to look for info on why I cant load it, and found Ghosty's posts
@taniwha I am having the SAME EXACT issues as @Ghosty141...

I had the old tool working in 2.76, so while I'm a noob, I also am pretty sure I am trying to install this correctly...

Also, interestingly, I WAS able to add the old tool by "Install from file" using ITS .zip... It properly showed up on my first try...
The NEW Tool, however... ???  \o/

Oh, and not sure if it matters, but since Ghosty mentioned it, I also have Python 3.5.1 installed

EDIT: So I tried adding both vers of the Tool via .zip, using "Install from file"... BOTH folders/files get extracted properly to the C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons location... Again, ONLY the older version shows up to be enabled, though...

I've also tried installing (copying it) straight to the C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons location, and same thing...

EDIT 2: POSSIBLE FIX:
Interesting, after removing ALL traces of BOTH versions of the tool, then renaming the folder of the NEW version (io_object_mu-1.0.0), using the OLD version folder name (io_object_mu-master), it now shows up... ???

Maybe Blender ignores folders with "periods" in folder names... ???

Edited by Stone Blue

9 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Maybe Blender ignores folders with "periods" in folder names... ???

If so, that's a little rough as it means you need to rename the directory by hand :/ (github generates the name from the tag)

44 minutes ago, taniwha said:

If so, that's a little rough as it means you need to rename the directory by hand :/ (github generates the name from the tag)

confirmed. Blender doesn't read it with the version number off GitHub, but does read it if you remove the periods.

Seems like this addon doesn't like me lol, 

tEI0aFQ.png

Any idea where this could be coming from? I imported the Mk2 Cockpit, changed a few things (mainly the board where the props are on) and tried to export again, but it wouldn't let me.

Ghosty141: yeah, the lights have all 32 bits set, and my code doesn't like that. Double bug, really: bug in the IVA (the lights should be just layer 16, I think), and bug in my code (not coping with bit 31 being set).

[edit]And fixed. I've got a couple other changes pending, so you'll have to pull from the repository if you want it now.

Edited by taniwha

24 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Ghosty141: yeah, the lights have all 32 bits set, and my code doesn't like that. Double bug, really: bug in the IVA (the lights should be just layer 16, I think), and bug in my code (not coping with bit 31 being set).

[edit]And fixed. I've got a couple other changes pending, so you'll have to pull from the repository if you want it now.

You are a saint, huge thanks for helping all the time :) 

BTW, I should mention that on thinking about it, it's no surprise the periods caused problems: the directory name forms the module name in blender, and thus blender was unable to import the module due to python not liking it. I have a symlink from my blender directory to my source directory and so I didn't notice.

@taniwha I'm getting an error exporting a couple simple changes to a model from Blender.

Pardon me if its just something simpl, dumb I'm going on my part, I'm really new to Blender & modelling.

Anyway, KSP loading is choking on my part. LMK if I need to provide any more info.

Here's the relevant snip from the KSP.log:

[LOG 01:15:32.207] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ZETA Korp/Parts/Propulsion/MerlinEngine/Mk0Merlin/ZETAmerlinmite'
[EXC 01:15:32.212] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PartLoader.SetFogFactor (UnityEngine.GameObject model, Single fogFactor)
    PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
    PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext ()

Snip from output_log.txt:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ZETA Korp/Parts/Propulsion/MerlinEngine/Mk0Merlin/ZETAmerlinmite'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartLoader.SetFogFactor (UnityEngine.GameObject model, Single fogFactor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator4A.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And this is the stack trace from Blender upon export:

Us1XWlf.png

Ok, the fog issue may be lack of materials. They're set up in the Mu Shader section of the material data. Unfortunately, it's still a bit of a pain to set up as you need to know the available shader names and their required parameters. I plan on doing a bit of a "wizard" for that.

As for the export error: you need to have UVs defined for your meshes. I think even for mesh colliders :/

• 1 month later...

Still ran into problems. This is how I got to work on Ubuntu.

Thanks for all the above help.

1) Download Blender 2.76b from Ubuntu SoftWare

2) Download io_object_mu from github

https://github.com/taniwha/io_object_mu

3) Found Blender addons at    (folders where locked)

Computer/usr/share/blender/scripts/addons

4) If locked open terminal

gksudo nautilus

sudo apt install gksu (if not installed)

gksudo nautilus

special folder window will open, goto folder unlock in Properties/Permissions

Change Owner to yourself, Access: Create and delete files

Now you can copy/paste io_object_mu-master folder into addons

5) Start Blender

File - User Preferences - Add-ons - Import-Export:Mu model format (KSP)

Check box and Save User Settings

6) Now you can import KSP Mu(.mu)

Thanks again for all the help.